1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Brake Pads: OEM vs TRD

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 67siia, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Mar 25, 2019 at 1:33 PM
    67siia

67siia [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD DCLB aka Chupacabra
  2. Mar 25, 2019 at 3:02 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
  3. Mar 25, 2019 at 3:15 PM
    Too Stroked

Too Stroked Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    South shore of Lake Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner SR5 Premium
    I can't offer you any personal experience with the OEM vs TRD pads in a Tacoma, but I can in another Toyota product. My daily driver is a 2006 Scion (Toyota) xB and the original equipment pads lasted 74,000 miles. I was happy with them, but wanted a little more stopping power if it was easy to attain. So, I swapped in a set of TRD pads for the car. The price difference was pretty close to what you showed for the Tacoma pads.

How did they work? Well, they did have more stopping power. I will give them that. The down side was horrible brake dust due to the softer pad material. This also led to shorter pad life. I took the TRD pads out after only about 20,000 miles and they were pretty significantly worn. I replaced them with the OEM pads and haven't looked back since.

4. Mar 25, 2019 at 5:47 PM
    67siia

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
  5. Mar 26, 2019 at 4:41 AM
    mbrogz3000

mbrogz3000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    My 20 month feedback of the TRD pads w/ Brembo blank rotors is: yes, they do provide marginal improvement in stopping power, and initial brake bite. I've however given up on them after 18,000 miles. Being semi-metallic pads installed on a heavy truck, the TRD pads are very hard on the rotors and will cause outer edge groove wear lips, and overall fast rotor wear. I wasn't expecting to develop a steering shake and front end wobble, but I did in about 7 months time. Part of it was attributed to my braking behavior, but I drove in the identical manner with the stock OEM brakes which had zero problems all the way down to 1/8" material (and lasted 75000 miles), which were proactively replaced. The TRD pads also throw off lots of dust and will dirty up the front wheels within the week.

As of a week ago, I've actually swapped over to, of all choices, Advance Auto Carquest Premium Platinum Ceramic pads ($40 after discounts), w/ Stoptech GCX rotors, rebuilt calipers with the Toyota/Lexus reseal kit, flushed the front brake lines - Surprisingly the braking feels almost identical to that of the TRD & Brembo combo. Lots of initial bite, very precise linear brake pedal feel. Front wheels are still clean enough after a week. I'm wondering why I didn't switch back sooner. As far as I'm concerned, the pads I mentioned above are at the same level as the OEM ceramic pads.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  6. Mar 26, 2019 at 6:04 AM
    Steve_P

Steve_P Well-Known Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma SR5 4WD 4cyl
    OMG, you can't use brake pads from Advance Auto!!! It's gotta be OE or some expensive "upgrade" :) JK, I've used Auto Zone and Advance ceramic pads on vehicles and they're fine. Low dust and no excess rotor wear.

mbrogz3000 likes this.
  7. Mar 26, 2019 at 7:33 AM
    TegoTaco

TegoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tacoma DCLB TRD SPORT
    I love my TRD pads, I did notice an improvement over stock pads. :)

8. Mar 26, 2019 at 11:20 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    Porterfeild R4S Pads are bitchin. Better feel and bite on 35s than a completely stock truck (I work at a dealer and I drive stock and modified tacomas with stock new and worn brakes everyday). That said they are dusty, not hard on the rotors (no grooving), also don't fade (stock faded bad on 33's) with how I drive offroad. With that when these wear out I'll be upgrading to either the bigger 4runner brakes with these pads or a 6 piston BBK.

9. Apr 4, 2019 at 8:32 AM
    HIKR

HIKR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 dbl cab in pyrite mica
    6% Tint all around, Toyota all-weather floor mats, Toyota bed extender and skid plate, Python 991 remote-start alarm, oem cruise control and class III hitch were all installed within a couple months. I then installed Icon c/o's and Icon's 3-leaf aal with 17x9" GA9's and 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratrac's. The DRL mod was done, as was a custom rack setup similar to the org. cross bars. Blacked out headlights bought online, and a BOSS 1500 under-seat sub installed along with a Pioneer double-din DVD player
    OP, what did you decide on? Thanks

10. Apr 4, 2019 at 8:46 AM
    67siia

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
  11. Feb 4, 2021 at 7:50 AM
    BlackTaco22

BlackTaco22 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Black Toyota Tacoma Prerunner - TRD Sport Package - SR5
    Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Shocks with Toytec coil springs (2.5 inch lift Front) - Bilstein 5100's rear - 265/70/R17 Goodyear Wrangler Duractrac's

I couldn't agree more with this feedback. I installed OEM front rotors with TRD brake pads. The brake dust is ridiculous. After I clean the truck/wheels, the brake dust shows back up within a week, if not a few days. Didn't seem as bad with the regular OEM pads. Stopping power on TRD seemed a little better, but marginal. I also have pretty warped rotors now after only about 6 months. I mostly drive highway to work and back. I also don't brake that heavily either. I cleaned the rotors thoroughly before installing to remove all factory oil. Steering wheel wobbles pretty badly at highway speeds. I am not sure if this is solely attributed to the TRD pads, but I have always installed OEM rotors and pads (NON-TRD), and I haven't had this issue until now. I have 250,000 miles on my truck. Maybe I have a caliper that is stuck also?? I have very little rust on my wheel hub assemblies, so that doesn't appear to be the issue with the wobble. That will be my next check when I pull the rotors off when it gets warm.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  12. Oct 15, 2022 at 6:11 AM
    HiLo907

HiLo907 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Melbourne, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 Super White DCLB 4x4
    Pop and Lock tailgate handle Intermittent wipers Gentex dimming rear view mirror with compass and temperature Extang Solid Fold 2.0 tonneau CompuStar Auto Start Backup Camera Noico sound deadening for doors and rear panel Pioneer speaker upgrade Kicker tweeter upgrade WeatherTech floor mats
    @BlackTaco22 - Just out of curiosity, did you follow the recommended break-in procedure for the TRD pads? I've read that if hard braking is applied before the break-in period is complete there can be some pad imprinting on the rotors which could cause vibrations when braking.

johnnytwotimes likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top