1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Bumper brackets question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacomaman96, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Feb 19, 2008 at 7:13 PM
    tacomaman96

tacomaman96 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 stock 2.7l reg cab
    I have a 96 4 cyl. 2.7l got in a slight wreck, body shop wants too much so I'm doing it myself. Only one problem. Replacing the bumper and brackets for it along with everything else on the front end is no problem, however there is a bracket welded to the frame where the bumper bracket bolts on and that welded on bracket is bent up pretty good. I can't find a single parts store, warehouse, wholesaler, website or anyone who carries that kind of bracket. i guess I could go to the junkyard, see if they could cut one out for me and then pay someone to weld it but I was hoping to be able to do everything myself. or should I leave the bent one in, try to hammer it straight a little and maybe drill new holes in it to secure the bumper bracket to. The weld looks intact, just agravated because that's the only thing holding me up from geting my taco back on the road. it's got 187,000 miles and still runing like a champ if i can figure out this bumper thing and put the front end back together. any help from anyone, especially someone who's been through this would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. if you're looking for lots of parts or just a few i bought my bumper, radiator, grill etc at carpartswholesale.com they've got some killer prices I couldn't find anywhere else

2. Feb 19, 2008 at 7:18 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i say that, if the bracket isnt about to break off, or badly rusted(and a chance of breaking off soon), i'd try hammering it back in place and if you have to....drill new holes.....but maybe the existing holes wont be that far off. you can tell when you start hammering on it if it will be strong enough to bolt up to.

3. Feb 19, 2008 at 8:09 PM
    tacomaman96

tacomaman96 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 stock 2.7l reg cab
    had another idea. the original bolts riped out of that bracket and are just scrap on the side of the road somewhere by now. i was thinking the holes might be too damaged to reuse with the same size bolts by the time I get done banging on them. but maybe i could add a plate of metal of appropriate thickness behind the original bracket and screw into that through the damaged holes, of course if i do that and anyone ever sees it, it'll be pretty obvious that I got in a wreck and didn't do a thorough repair but then again it'll get me on the road alot quicker and cheaper so I can quit riding this motorcycle to work (it's cold in the mornings). besides I got a killer new audio set up and really want to show it off. my first time altering the factory wiring and doing a custom job on this truck and it sounds beautifull, just wish we had a couple more inches of room on these standard cabs to fit a bass. had to loose some leg room to install even a small one.

4. Feb 20, 2008 at 1:55 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    sounds good to me man!! and another piece of metal there will also make it alot stronger!! i say go for it!! let me know what the results are!!

Products Discussed in

To Top