1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front bumper road scratches etc.

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by RRDave, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Mar 14, 2011 at 7:50 AM
    RRDave

RRDave [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Halifax, NS
    Vehicle:
    08 Black TRD
    CAI, AT2525XL, 2.5" spacer, 1.5" AAL, DNX6140 HU c/w rearview cam, Fog Light Mod, Custom rear dog seat,
    So I bought my taco in used in the winter, and the it's in excellent shape other than the scratches etc on the front bumper from the excessive highway driving it's seen. Does anyone have any idea how I could get rid of this? The picture makes the scratches a appear worse than they are in person, however, it still drives me crazy.

Any input would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Mar 14, 2011 at 3:32 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    Looks like you've got a lot of bug spatter on there too. Clean all the bug-goo off and re-evaluate. As stated above, you can polish it up a bit, but typically front bumpers get beat up pretty bad, stone chips right down to the bare plastic.

If it still looks like crap after buffing, then take it to the body shop, and get a re-paint quote.

3. Mar 14, 2011 at 4:18 PM
    RRDave

RRDave [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Halifax, NS
    Vehicle:
    08 Black TRD
    CAI, AT2525XL, 2.5" spacer, 1.5" AAL, DNX6140 HU c/w rearview cam, Fog Light Mod, Custom rear dog seat,
    I know it looks like there's bug spatter there but there's none. I've thoroughly cleaned the area with bug remover, wash, clay bar, polish (by hand) and wax. The white you're seeing is a function of the flash and the uneven surface. The bumps etc are still in the clear coat, and like I said, it's hardly noticeable in daylight.

Will using a power polisher and a good polish do anything? I feel like it's just a question of smoothing out the clear coat. If that's possible, my next step would be an invisible bra.

4. Mar 15, 2011 at 12:51 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    Sure an orbital polisher will do a great job of getting rid of scratches, but if your chips are right down to the plastic, there's nothing there to polish.

Keep in mind our Taco's don't have a whole lot of clear on them, so if you're looking to aggressively polish, you may cause damage.

Products Discussed in

To Top