1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front camera mounting ?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by EastVanTaco, May 14, 2019.

1. May 15, 2019 at 1:30 PM
    Papadave418

Papadave418 Well-Known Member

Member:
    When I go through the desert on trips about once a day I just wipe the lens with my finger. Easy

xxtsohgxx likes this.
  2. May 20, 2019 at 2:25 PM
    lshep

lshep New Member

Member:
    Does anyone have instructions to connect the Anytime Backup Camera? I know they offer this page for help: https://www.anytimebackupcamera.com...-the-anytime-backup-and-front-camera-full-kit but the instructions on the page has some gaps. Do I need to run the red and black wires coming off of the camera to a power and ground source? Also, there is a cable in the camera bag with two RCA ends on it with little red wires. Do those red wires need to go to a power source?

For both questions above, what power source do you recommend?

I have a 2019 Offroad with the original "chicken wire" grill. Do you have a recommend mounting location?

Thanks

3. May 20, 2019 at 2:32 PM
    STrooper

STrooper For HIS glory!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport QuickSand / 2020 TRD Sport Cement!
    I wonder if you can swap cameras to have the same quality both ways. Better yet, probably an OEM Lexus backup camera could be a plug&play to our Tacos.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Dammit Evie[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. May 20, 2019 at 2:43 PM
    Tullie D

Tullie D Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tullie
    Wilson, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 V6 SSM Access Cab
    My wife's 2018 Camry XLE has the Bird's Eye View, which uses 4 cameras. It's kinda' neat, but I've never used it. On the other hand, she uses it every time she parks. I doubt seriously if I'd use a front camera on my Tacoma. I don't use the rear camera even now. I admit that a front camera would be handy for folks that need an extra set of eyes for rock-crawling, etc. Or regularly park in tight spots. Neither applies to me.

5. May 20, 2019 at 2:47 PM
    Xx_Evilvirus_xX

Xx_Evilvirus_xX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Offroad 4x4
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Dammit Evie[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. May 20, 2019 at 3:49 PM
    Dammit Evie

Dammit Evie Evie the Schnauzer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    IDAHO-.-. .-.. .- ... ... .. ..-. .. . -..
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB A/T MGM
    Exterior Mods: TRD Pro SS catback exhaust | TRD Pro Grille | Redline Tuning hood QuickLIFT | OEM Tacoma bedmat | Black running boards | Derped chrome badges | Me-So Gashole | TRD Pro 17x8Alloy wheels Interior Mods: Black Clazzio Napa Leather seat covers |Aluminum stereo knobs Engine Mods: TRD Pro Intake Air Box Up Coming Mods: 265/70R17 Falken Wildpeak tires
    No, just a brand new setup.

7. May 20, 2019 at 3:50 PM
    Dammit Evie

Dammit Evie Evie the Schnauzer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    IDAHO-.-. .-.. .- ... ... .. ..-. .. . -..
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB A/T MGM
    Exterior Mods: TRD Pro SS catback exhaust | TRD Pro Grille | Redline Tuning hood QuickLIFT | OEM Tacoma bedmat | Black running boards | Derped chrome badges | Me-So Gashole | TRD Pro 17x8Alloy wheels Interior Mods: Black Clazzio Napa Leather seat covers |Aluminum stereo knobs Engine Mods: TRD Pro Intake Air Box Up Coming Mods: 265/70R17 Falken Wildpeak tires
    That should be an easy swap.

8. May 21, 2019 at 3:37 PM
    AllGen

AllGen Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2016 Blue Tacoma Limited 4x4
    Hidden front bumper 32" LED light bar HID headlights Morimoto XB fog lights Pop and Lock for tailgate Metal oil filter housing Bed extender OE bed mat OE bed front rail for sliding hold downs Toyota first aid kit Bed cubby hole block offs Door seal protectors with aluminum inserts OE LED bed light pods and Matt Gecko LED strips OE TRD Pro grill Ceramic tint MESO gasshole and coin holder 1/2" Toytec front shock/strut spacer (leveling kit) 1/2" Toytec rear leaf spring shims with 7.5" u-bolts (leveling kit-IMO) Anytime front and rear camera Shapeway's drivers side cubby switch insert (anytime camera switch location)
    I just installed my anytime backup camera. Yes, the red wire off of the camera goes to power and black is to ground. You can install an add a fuse to the fuse box. There is a ground wire with bolt on the inner fender near the battery. I installed a ring connector on the black wire and grounded it there. The red wires off the RCAs are not needed for this application. I just put some electrical taped on them. I have a Pro grill so I'm not sure on your mounting location. There are also a few YouTube videos out there. Also, if you install an add a fuse, don't put it in a vital area. One YouTube guy put it in his fuel injector fuse slot so if his camera shorts out and blows the fuse his truck will shut down.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    lshep[QUOTED] and Skydvrr like this.
  9. May 21, 2019 at 3:49 PM
    EastVanTaco

EastVanTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 super white Trd Sport DCLB
    Same ...pro grille

10. May 21, 2019 at 6:10 PM
    caribe makaira

caribe makaira Well-Known Member

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD Offroad AutoTrans
    Hood Struts, My version Fogs always ON, Map & Overhead Light Mod,
    As long as you identify which side of the fuse slot is from battery and which side is to circuit in the fuse location you choose, and place the add-a-fuse/circuit correctly you won't have that issue.
    upload_2019-5-21_21-9-55.jpg

upload_2019-5-21_21-10-11.jpg

11. May 22, 2019 at 11:13 AM
    AllGen

AllGen Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Hidden front bumper 32" LED light bar HID headlights Morimoto XB fog lights Pop and Lock for tailgate Metal oil filter housing Bed extender OE bed mat OE bed front rail for sliding hold downs Toyota first aid kit Bed cubby hole block offs Door seal protectors with aluminum inserts OE LED bed light pods and Matt Gecko LED strips OE TRD Pro grill Ceramic tint MESO gasshole and coin holder 1/2" Toytec front shock/strut spacer (leveling kit) 1/2" Toytec rear leaf spring shims with 7.5" u-bolts (leveling kit-IMO) Anytime front and rear camera Shapeway's drivers side cubby switch insert (anytime camera switch location)
    1.jpg 2.jpg
    Good stuff...I added my add a fuse to the AC slot (10amp on bottom/AC and 7.5 amp on top/Camera) and drilled a small hole in the bottom of the fuse box to run the wire so it wouldn't be compressed by the box cover. I also put a little silicon at the hole. I connected all the wiring with solder. The switch was installed at the left of the steering wheel into a shapeway's switch panel.

12. May 22, 2019 at 11:23 AM
    Hextall

Hextall Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno OR DCSB
    I use the front camera much more than I thought I would when parking. Even silly things like popping it quickly to make sure I'm within the parking lines when parallel parking makes it worth it in my opinion.

I initially bought and installed it because I was doing the anytime backup camera mod, and since I was tearing my radio apart and installing switches, might as well add the front camera too (I also did the nav override at the same time).

hrivera007, Taco de Naranja and lshep like this.
  13. May 22, 2019 at 2:00 PM
    AllGen

AllGen Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    I have a carport with stuff in the front of it. It's hails a lot where I'm at, and I have to get really close to the stuff so the back of the truck doesn't get hailed on. Before the camera, I had to either (A) Get out a couple of times and look so I didn't hit the stuff or (B) Hit the stuff and back up slightly. And there was not going to be a (C) Getting rid of the stuff...because it's cool stuff.

14. May 22, 2019 at 2:03 PM
    uploadadventure

uploadadventure It’s all @ColoradoTJ’s fault

Member:
    Dixon, Mo
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tacoma TRD OR (sold) 05 Duramax
    That’s a good spot

xxtsohgxx[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. May 22, 2019 at 2:14 PM
    CJ_

CJ_ Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma TRDOR 4x4
    This is how I mounted mine:

213BB6E5-B5B3-423B-82A4-08837138E740.jpg

743F3C65-730A-4100-83C6-E385F2DBA89F.jpg

BB00AF6B-64DC-4EC2-869A-0422F91104D7.jpg

16. May 22, 2019 at 5:24 PM
    caribe makaira

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
    Any info to share on the dual switch?

17. May 22, 2019 at 5:25 PM
    AllGen

AllGen Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Texas
    Vehicle:
  18. May 22, 2019 at 5:28 PM
    caribe makaira

Member:
    Caribbean, Puerto Rico
    Vehicle:
  19. May 23, 2019 at 3:53 AM
    House Forsaken

House Forsaken Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD Off Road (Traded) 2017 TRD Off-Road (Traded) 2018 TRD Off-Road
    Can you walk me through the Nav override? I get where it's supposed to plug into the head unit, but where did you run the red and black wires to? Did you use a toggle switch? Can you just tie the switch wires together to have it on the whole time?

20. May 23, 2019 at 6:25 AM
    Hextall

Hextall Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno OR DCSB
    When I got my camera setup from anytime backup, they didn't have the nav override option, but the way I did it was to put a switch on the wire for the 17 pin on teh 28pin connection on the back of the head unit. I'm not sure what you mean by red and black wires, I assume those are the wires in a kit, so I can't really answer what you're asking. sorry.

I used a toggle switch (or a custom OEM style switch I got from CH4x4).. when it's "on" (i.e. button is pushed in), then everything works as normal. When I turn it off, then that 17th pin wire circuit is broken, and the head unit thinks the truck is not moving.

Here are a few threads that helped me out:
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...one-mirroring-mod.473033/page-7#post-15472320

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/sold.458293/#post-14005553

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...e-navigation-override-smartphone-mirr.501617/

lshep likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top