1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Crank Seal Leaking....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas' started by MSUtacoboy, Feb 7, 2011.

1. MSUtacoboy

MSUtacoboy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MS
    Vehicle:
    2008 Silver DC 4x4 Trd off-road
    i purchased this truck used 2008 with 54k miles on it. i've put about 7k since i got it 7 months. no problems what so ever.

a week or so i started noticing a burning oil smell when i'd come to a stop. i didnt have any drops on the garage floor and i couldn't tell where the leak was coming from. But the front of the engine was covered in oil. the truck wasn't running low on oil, according to the dip stick.

then a few days later i had two drops on the floor.... took it to the shop(local ind). guy cleans the engine and found the leak. i personally figured it'd be the timing chain cover, which would have cost a fortune to fix. but, to my delight, he calls and tells me that it's the front crank seal that has the leak. i have been trying to convince myself this whole time that it's going to be okay to pay $1800+ for the fix.

$200 for the seal fix. i'd rather pay that than what i was thinking this whole time.

if i had to fix it, it wouldnt be fixed for a few weeks, i dont want to drive around with it leaking for the time being, so i said "getter done" (no, not really, just adding some MS redneck in there) let's do it.

thanks for allowing the blog entry. :eek:

2. BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    :eek: an hour for timing chain cover?? I dont know about that. It takes more then hour on inline 6 (1FZ-FE) and that thing has no serpentine belt and much more room to work with. I can see 1GR would be slightly easier since has wimpy oil pans but still.
    An Hour on 1GR that would be a Guiness record :D, Not sure what that paper gasket roll is for.

3. MSUtacoboy

MSUtacoboy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MS
    Vehicle:
    2008 Silver DC 4x4 Trd off-road
    i did a search on this board.

plus the guy said it called for 18 hour job

4. straycat241

straycat241 maXXXed out mid travel

Member:
    First Name:
    paul
    montclair, ca
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner TRD off road 4x2
    airaid intake, jba headers, jba exhaust, DMZ enginecage, King 2.5 coilovers , 1.25camburg uca's, total chaos lca's, shock hoops with Icon 2.5 piggybacks, camburg 4.0 Spindles, Defined engineering SUA, King 2.5" Shocks w/Reservoir, King 2.5 Bumpstops,shocktacobumper,moto metal 951's, compartment locks, blackgrill,Glassworks fenders front and rear,ViS racing glass hood,PIAA 510s,hella 500's,black rebadge,fabtech spare tire holder,tailgate delete,mudflaps delete,cobra 19 ultra iii
    is this the leak i have in the pic below?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To Top