1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Diff Gasket Leak

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Linus, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Dec 14, 2014 at 12:39 PM
    Linus

Linus [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pierce County, WA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Relentless front/rear armor and skids, CVT hardshell RTT, BAMF slider, ENGO EPF10k winch, dual batt, OME 886 & Dakar leafs, ARB 63qt fridge w/ rear seat mount, BajaRack, ARB awning, Pioneer audio
    My '13 DCSB TRD is at 30k, so I decided to change the rear/front diff and transfer case fluids. The rear and t case went fine. Then I pulled off the skid plate to get to the front diff and found this.

The truck never left oil spots that I noticed and everything has been working fine. This appears to be a slow leak from the gasket between the two halves of the front diff. I'm guessing that the orange rubber strip is a piece of gasket that pressed out during manufacture, or was excess that didn't get trimmed off. Either way it looks to be leaking from there. I don't see any cracks.

I only pulled the fill plug and added oil until it started to overflow. It took 4oz.. I think I read that it's a 1.6qt fill, so being 0.25qt low wasn't as bad as I expected.

It was purchased certified used from a dealer at 15k. The skid was on pretty tight and I'm thinking this is the first time its been taken off.

It'll be sitting all week and I'll be watching for drips. It's still under warranty so I'll take it in next week, a 2hr drive to the same dealership, as long as it doesn't start gushing oil. Anything else I should be concerned about with this? Anyone seen it before? Anyone had a front diff replaced by a dealer?

IMG_8795.jpg
    IMG_8796.jpg
    IMG_8799.jpg
    IMG_8801.jpg
    IMG_8802.jpg

2. Dec 14, 2014 at 12:53 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Looks like someone is going to the dealer.

3. Dec 14, 2014 at 11:58 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    That may not be a factory job... It looks like somebody has been in there. I could be wrong, but I have never seen gasket material done that crappy on any factory fresh engine or differential.

I smell fish. Oh it is a good thing you have a warranty. Let us know what they say.

4. Dec 15, 2014 at 12:23 AM
    Idaholandho

Idaholandho The other white meat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3 Now - 2022 Trail Edition, 2015 TRD 4x4 and a 2006 SR5 4x4
    2015 Tacoma, Magnuson Supercharger, Bully Dog Flash and GT, Safari Snorkel, Toytec BOSS 2.5 Coil Over Front, Toytec BOSS Aluma 2.5 Rear, Toytec 10 Leaf Pack, Stainless Brake Lines, Icon UCA's, CBI Reverse Adj Shackle Mounts, CBI Ubolt Flip Kit, Timbren Bump Stops, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Front Bumper w/ Warn M8000S Winch and SR2 Rigid Flood Lights, CBI Bushmaster 2.0 Rear Swingout Bumper, Rigid SR2 backup lights and Dual RotopaX / Fuel/First Aid Pack, CBI Rock Sliders, CBI Full Skids and CBI Rear Diff Armor, BAMF LCA Skids, FrontRunner Outfitters Slimline II Roof Rack w/ Rigid SR2 40" Combo Light Bar, Rock lights, Rigid pods in Bed Rack, Intelligent Battery System w/ Dual NorthStar batteries, Spod Power Distribution, illuminated switch panel in sunglasses holder, Viar Extreme Duty On-Board Air w/ 2.5 Gallon Tank under bed, Air 2 Air Sys, Magnaflow Exhaust, Fuel Off Road Trophy Wheels, 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country R/T, Diff breather mod, FX-R BHLM Demon Eye headlights, Esuse LED Fog Kit, Pelfreybilt Camera Relocation mount, Pelfreybilt ax/shovel bed mount, Debadged, tint, a 2006 Tacoma SR5 and a 2022 Trail Edition
    Good call. You aren't wrong. That is def not a factory seal.

5. Dec 23, 2014 at 6:15 PM
    Linus

Member:
    Pierce County, WA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Relentless front/rear armor and skids, CVT hardshell RTT, BAMF slider, ENGO EPF10k winch, dual batt, OME 886 & Dakar leafs, ARB 63qt fridge w/ rear seat mount, BajaRack, ARB awning, Pioneer audio
    The dealership took one look and said a warranty repair is not a problem at all. I've got an appointment to take it back next week for a 1.5 day repair, to open it up and re-seal it. No discussion over whether it's an original factory seal or not. Warranty will cover a rental car too. I've got the extended Certified Used coverage for the powertrain to 100k, so I'm feeling pretty safe about it.

Been very happy with Prescott AZ Tim's Toyota service dept.

6. Dec 23, 2014 at 6:31 PM
    Taco'09

Taco'09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jimmyh, I was thinking the same thing and the Monday/Friday problem assemblies popped into my head. I wonder if some relief worker was putting the FIPG on and saw there was a gap or flaw in the casting or something and put a bunch extra on for good measure and let it go. But how come it was not caught on QC inspection?

7. Dec 24, 2014 at 2:45 AM
    lyodbraun

lyodbraun Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 TRD Sport
    Nothing yet
    Glad they will do it under warranty, save big money lol....

8. Dec 24, 2014 at 7:40 AM
    Puretac

Puretac Active Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma
    I experienced a similar issue but the dealer wouldn't warranty mine you lucky duck so I bought a gasket from Toyota Parts Center. The bead job on the sealer looks the similar though, haha, you just either put too much or not enough in my case.

9. Dec 24, 2014 at 10:17 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    I'm within a few months of 60 years old and have been working on cars since I was old enough to hold a wrench. That isn't a factory seal, IMO.

10. Jan 20, 2015 at 8:09 PM
    Linus

Member:
    Pierce County, WA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB TRD 4x4
    Picked up the truck today after this repair. The dealer had it in the shop for two days. It was fully covered by the original factory warranty (I'm at about 31k). The warranty didn't cover a rental during the repair, since apparently that is only covered while waiting for parts. Since it was a pre-arranged appointment, no loaner was given- didn't bother pushing it since I didn't really need it.

According to the service advisor- this is a very rare occurrence; the orange gasket material (similar to FIPG, but I forget the acronym) is a factory seal; and the FIPG (part 00295-01281) that they used for the repair is the same, but black in color. Axle seals are part #'s 90311-47027 and 026.

From the service sheet:

"Inspected and confirmed customer concern that the front carrier was leaking where the two parts of the carrier casement meet. Disassembled front suspension and removed front C/V axles and then removed front diff assembly. After removal, disassembled front diff and split casement and resealed unit. [I was told they let it sit overnight before re-sealing to allow the FIPG to cure/seat/whatever] Reassembled unit, resealed any needed areas and reinstalled new left and right front axle seals. After recheck, diff was reinstalled into truck and refilled with OEM gear oil. Road tested and ensured 4WD operation and no leaks in system."

After picking it up, I took off on a 2hr drive with no issues. Overall, an easy experience. Tim's in Prescott AZ has been a great dealership for me.

11. Jan 20, 2015 at 11:19 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Rule # 1: Never trust a service manager.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  12. Jan 21, 2015 at 6:10 AM
    Linus

Member:
    Pierce County, WA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCSB TRD 4x4
    I've been to enough shady dealerships to agree with that. Just figured it wasn't in my best interest to prolong the discussion and talk my way out of a warranty repair, if it was actually an aftermarket issue. Oh well.

Products Discussed in

To Top