1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Diff Leak!!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by goomba, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Dec 18, 2010 at 8:12 AM
    goomba

goomba [OP] It is a Fluid Situation

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    San Antonio Fl
    Vehicle:
    96 White Ex. Cab Tacoma TRD 4X4
    3" lift Up front(Donahoe Racing ext. travel coil overs, Camburg UCA's), 1.5-2" lift in the back(aal and some billy 10" stroke short bodies), Bushwhacker Cut-Out fender flairs, 16"x10" Procomp Street locks, and 305/70 Procomp X-Terrains.
    My frond diff is leaking where the triple by-pod joint meets the diff on both sides (the boot is not leaking the diff is). I am trying to figure out how to stop the leak or what part is needed to stop it. Also I have a vibe that is getting worse and worse in the front end, could this cause the vibe? Note I have had my tires balanced several times and they are Good Year TDs.
    Here are 2 picks:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dec 18, 2010 at 3:01 PM
    goomba

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    San Antonio Fl
    Vehicle:
    3" lift Up front(Donahoe Racing ext. travel coil overs, Camburg UCA's), 1.5-2" lift in the back(aal and some billy 10" stroke short bodies), Bushwhacker Cut-Out fender flairs, 16"x10" Procomp Street locks, and 305/70 Procomp X-Terrains.
    Bump!
    Does any one know or is it a stupid question?:(

3. Dec 18, 2010 at 3:27 PM
    KColoTaco

KColoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    N. Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC
    3 inch OME complete lift, Light racing UCA's, Bed comp. locks.
  4. Dec 19, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    goomba

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    San Antonio Fl
    Vehicle:
    Thank you so much.
    Another question. How do you get out the bearing out, and how do you put it back in(for 1st gen)?

5. Dec 19, 2010 at 9:04 AM
    fireturk41

fireturk41 I like to break shit!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    High Point, NC
    Vehicle:
    280k miles
    SAS, Locked front rear, Ufab sliders and bumpers, air compressor, 35" BFG KM2 on steelies and 36" TSLs
    you have a bad axle seal causing your front differential to leak out all its fluid, note i would not drive with this because overheating can cause irrepairable damage to your front diff. im too lazy right now but check ttora for a guide or google it

6. Dec 20, 2010 at 7:58 AM
    TacomaJPP

TacomaJPP To secure peace, is to prepare for war

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    03 4WD TRD XTD Cab
    Snugtop Camper Brushguard
    My 97 had a leak. I used my Haynes manual to replace it. The manual was pretty good in explaining each step. My 97 had manual hubs which makes it slightly easier than ADD hubs. It's a seal that needs to be replaced. Just go to Toyota and have them show you an exploded view of that area and the seal is rather obvious. I think the seal was less than $10. However, it took me 2 or 3 evening (after work) to do the entire job.

7. Dec 20, 2010 at 8:59 AM
    goomba

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    San Antonio Fl
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. Does the Haynes manual tell you how to replace the outer bearing as well?

8. Dec 21, 2010 at 8:46 AM
    KColoTaco

KColoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    N. Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC
    3 inch OME complete lift, Light racing UCA's, Bed comp. locks.
    I have a Chilton's that deas a decent job of explaing the seal replacemet. I bet the haynes is better.

This link shows in it somewhere the hose clamp trick to remove cv's with the slide hammer (saves at least an hour)
    http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru.../50373-cv-axle-replacement-repair-w-pics.html

Totally agree get the exploded view once you get the cv's out its pretty much like any oil seal change. But definitly make sure it was just normal wear that ruined them. If there's another problem that munched the seals you'll already be that far.

9. Dec 21, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    goomba

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    San Antonio Fl
    Vehicle:
    Got the seals to fix leak and got some wheel bearings to fix my vibration. Turned out it was the wheel bearings not the bearings in the diff. I am going to try and post a video on how to do it. thanks guys.

Products Discussed in

To Top