1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front differential

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Frazier314, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Oct 18, 2016 at 10:49 PM
    Frazier314

Frazier314 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma
    I have a 96 tacoma, when I bought it, 4x4 didn't work.
    Found a used diff, with a lock tight locker.
    Something weird is happening. The diff works and all but when I'm driving in 4h or low and I turn the steering wheel even the slightest bit while moving forward, I can feel it wanting to pull in the opposite direction pretty agressively.
    And if I let go of the steering wheel completely in the middle of a tur (slight turn) it'll completely shoot to the opposite side I'm turning then straighten out.
    I know it's hard to turn with a locker but is this normal? Or is something out of whack..?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  2. Oct 18, 2016 at 11:06 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    Does it only start to pull when you're giving it gas? Auto/full-time lockers like the Lockrite ones (also Detroits, Aussies, etc.) lock up when torque is applied and unlock when it's not. Sounds like it's locking up on you when you're turning the wheels and giving it throttle, so it would make sense why it feels like it wants to pull the other way; both wheels are getting equal amounts of power when the locker locks up.

That's my guess anyhow, it sounds like it's working like it should? I'm really not familiar with putting an auto-locker in the front diff but I would imagine it's generally not ideal for this very reason...most front locker setups I've heard and read about are with selectable lockers like an ARB. Hopefully someone on here that knows more about that setup can chime in.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    Speedytech7 likes this.
  3. Oct 18, 2016 at 11:13 PM
    eon_blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    Oh and you posted this thread in the Marketplace forum, might want to ask a mod about moving it to the First Gen forum instead so it gets more views @tcBob

tcBob likes this.
  4. Oct 18, 2016 at 11:38 PM
    Frazier314

Frazier314 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma
    Thanks for your input.
    And I honestly have no idea how to work this still. Hardly get on but I'll learn!
    Thanks again

eon_blue likes this.
  5. Oct 19, 2016 at 3:30 AM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Well here's the thing. You have a locked front axle now. That means NO differential action anymore. So steering will be more difficult. Wheels have to turn at different rates in order to turn smoothly. When the front able is locked you'll feel the vehicle wanting to push straight ahead instead of turn. Or you'll see references to 'plowing' straight ahead, same thing. Your turning radius is going to increase quite a bit. With both wheels pulling its going to want to return to straight whenever you're not forcing the wheels to angle.

But that's a push. When you say its pulling aggressively, it sounds like you have a pretty high level of traction and shouldn't be in 4wd.

6. Oct 19, 2016 at 5:14 AM
    Brake Weight

Brake Weight But it hasn't rained in weeks...I'll make it.

Member:
    Deep South near the Third Coast
    Vehicle:
    Taco pulling 33s and a B6 pushing 33psi
    Weld on sliders, fiberglass shell, 12k winch in an Elite Offroad bumper, front Aussie Lunchbox
    I have an Aussie in mine. It takes a little 'getting used to' for driving in 4wd. Don't do it on pavement or hard pack unless you want to risk snapping something. If you have any sort of speed and let off the gas to the point of coasting/deceleration then turning will be normal. Under load it will bind up and be locked. Under normal operation the Aussie style is always locked wether it's in 4wd or not. In 2wd it will 'ratchet' freely when turning. In 4wd it will also ratchet and can be heard doing this due to extra forces acting on it.

7. Oct 19, 2016 at 7:05 AM
    devinzz1

devinzz1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    devin
    lewisporte Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    95 extended cab sr5
    cxr turbo, fic6, methanol injection, king coilovers, jba uca, skyjacker leafs, rear 12" 5125s, no-slip rear locker, 35" grabber x3, magnaflow muffler, retrofit headlights, trans cooler, bed lined exterior, etc...
    In 4x4 there's probably enough binding that its always locked.

Id never use a lunchbox locker with an add truck.

8. Oct 19, 2016 at 8:32 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    I agree.

Face it OP, you made a big mistake putting an automatic locker in the front.
    Remove the diff, and either replace the lockrite with stock spiders, or
    replace the entire diff with an open unit.

I make a similar mistake years ago, and put an LSD in front. I realized my error
    the first time I went offroading with it. Steering was a bitch, even in low-traction
    situations. Therefore I had a hard time taking the line I wanted.

The next trip, I had an ARB in front. Selectable FTW.

9. Oct 19, 2016 at 9:26 AM
    eon_blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    OP it only does this when you're in 4wd, correct? If that's the case I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you need to use 4wd under daily driving conditions (like snowy/icy roads in the winter). But the locker should be removable if you want to take it out, I had a Lockrite in the rear of my '99 Prerunner several years ago and I took it out before selling the truck.

10. Oct 19, 2016 at 9:45 AM
    pulldo

pulldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    houston, texas
    Vehicle:
    95 dlx, 2.7l, 4wd, 5 spd.
    Do all of you have manual front hubs? Seems like this unit would work fine with manual locking hubs as long as you're in a slick environment.

11. Oct 19, 2016 at 9:58 AM
    TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    Donahoe CO's, Deaver leaf paks, Lockright Locker, All Pro body armor ( sliders, front and rear bumpers ), All Pro under belly skids, Warn M8K w/Masterpull synthetic line, Dual Optima battery system, 4 ea LightForce Striker 170 offroad lights, 8 ea wired rock lights, and plenty more I'm sure
    I like my Lockright rear locker...
    and it has got me thru without fail
    and has proven to be reliable/durable.

But can't imagine it being installed in the front diff.
    Tho' it would work... it will make steering more difficult on high traction surfaces.
    and likely most anytime the LR engages.

Do You have manual hubs or ADD ?

I believe manual hubs have an advantage
    but it's still not as good as a selectable locker will be.

Be careful when steering...
    as excessive bind will break CV's.

Selectable ARB for the front. jm $ .02

12. Oct 19, 2016 at 10:02 AM
    eon_blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    I loved the Lockrite I had in the rear of my '99 back in the day, at the time I think it only cost a few hundred bucks? I was a full-time student and couldn't afford an ARB but that locker did it's job and did it well. I even grew to love the "CLACK CLACK CLACK" sound the rear end makes when taking turns unlocked lol.

13. Oct 19, 2016 at 10:27 AM
    TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    Donahoe CO's, Deaver leaf paks, Lockright Locker, All Pro body armor ( sliders, front and rear bumpers ), All Pro under belly skids, Warn M8K w/Masterpull synthetic line, Dual Optima battery system, 4 ea LightForce Striker 170 offroad lights, 8 ea wired rock lights, and plenty more I'm sure
    The clickity clack reminds me that it is differentiating as it should be.

Only annoyance is when it binds and lets out a loud snap - bang (release) on occasion.

But the clack, clack, clack, bang noises... ensure that it is still working properly :thumbsup:

So ya just get used to it's quirks/noise... and roll on.

Heck I have plenty of other noises I hear...
    that annoy me or garner more of my attention. Lol

eon_blue[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Oct 22, 2016 at 7:18 PM
    Frazier314

Frazier314 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma
    I have an ADD
    Honestly it doesn't bother me much, I was just curious as to if the pulling was normal and from what I can see it is!
    I live in the mountains where we do get snow often during winter. I bought this truck about 3 years ago and the kid that had it before completely seized up the front diff, so I bought a used one and this one was the only one I could find with the right ratio! Just replaced it about a week and half ago before the rain and snow comes so I could play!
    Thanks everyone for your input!

15. Oct 23, 2016 at 11:45 AM
    CStoy

CStoy mountain-top maniac.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    majestic gold 4x4... 1/4 million miles and counting!
    improved toyota goodness.
    my 0.02. I had (still have) a dodge dakota with a automatic front locker, rear spool and full time 4wd... it pulls insanely hard on the wheel and is an absolute PITA anytime there is snow or ice.
    it allows no slip at all meaning that if i spin or turn it will slide down sideways on any incline or crown.
    for example; (and don't try it) I used to park in town and in order to get into a certain parking spot and when it was snowy I would simply stop a few feet to the rear of the spot and goose it allowing it to slide down the crown in the road and into the spot. I had way more sideways movement than forwards if I spun at all on hard but slick surfaces.

Products Discussed in

To Top