1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Differentials

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tangsoo.tedg, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Dec 5, 2011 at 4:15 PM
    tangsoo.tedg

tangsoo.tedg [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Fuquay Varina
    Vehicle:
    08 Taco 4x4 Sport 4 Door
    I'm new to this so if I don't explain myself fully it's because it's prefectly clear in my head...oh well. I have a 2008 Taco 4x4 Double Cab TRD Sport. It has just under 82,000 miles and is maintained as required. My problem is this. About 5 weeks I noticed a hum/grind/chatter in my front end. It would go away after a while and then return. I tried to see when it would happen but there was no pattern in the starting or stopping of the sound. I ruled out the brakes and the transmission. I took in for an oil change and told my shop the issues. And of course, they came back with the famous 'could not duplicate'. So thought I would study it some more. On way it of town one weekend, I noticed a burning smell, like a clutch or brakes. I have a autumatic transmission and brakes were not hot, so ruled those out. Finally took it into a local dealership this week because burning smell was not going away.
    Diagnosis came back (and I quote from my receipt):" found drivers side bearing in front differential with excess play. Causing fluid to leak out at axle seal." Service Mgr further explained that burning smell came from fluid dripping on to exhaust system.
    Solution (and again I quote): "new front differential and drivers side axle is needed."
    Problem: they want to charge me $3000.
    I am taking to another mechanic to get second opinion before I drop this chunk o'change.
    Anyone have any experience with this?

2. Dec 5, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    You can get away with a bearing and seal swap by the sounds of it. The axle is probably fine, but I'm just in my arm chair. Dealerships replace components rather than rebuild. Try your local mech as you stated. I would expect the bill to be under a grand.

3. Dec 5, 2011 at 4:20 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Welcome to TW and here is your homework for today.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...fferential-side-bearing-replacement-done.html
    You will find in there all info you need to do it yourself for much much less

Products Discussed in

To Top