1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

front end noise help needed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by awebber3, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Aug 30, 2015 at 8:03 AM
    awebber3

awebber3 [OP] TacoTacoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    '07 DCSB Prerunner 3" lift
    Exterior: MBRP catback dual exhaust Smittybilt N-fab nerf bars Bilstein 5100 shocks & struts OME 885 & add-a-leaf Ballistic Jester 17" 265/70r/17 Nitto Terrra Grappler 5500K Retrofit Headlights (Mini D2S Stage III) Black badges, Black bull bar w/ LED Pods Satoshi Grill mod K&N air filter Tri-Fold bed cover Rearview camera EGR in-channel rain guards 10% tint rear, 10% tint front, 70% tint on windshield Pop-a-Lock tailgate handle Spidertrax wheel spacers Cab mount chop BIG 3 upgrade LED Running Board lights Black LED tail lights (’09 and up style) Black LED 3rd brake WOLO Air Horn Interior: Kenwood excelon DDX9703S 2 JL 10W1V3-4 10'' subs Alpine type-R component speakers in front Alpine type-S component speakers in rear Kenwood Excelon XR900-5 amp Weather Tech laser cut floor mats Cobra radar wired in Viper 5704 alarm w/ auto start & added glass break sensor and tilt sensor
    I'm having a noise coming from my driver side wheel, it sounds like a jeep does with giant tires on it. It's kind of like a grinding/ wob wob sound. It's hard to describe.

Here's the background: I had my front driver side wheel bearing and hub replaced about a month ago. A few days later it started to make a noise again (like the bearing was bad again) took it back to the stealership and they said it's a bad spot on my tire. That was a few weeks ago. Since then I've had the truck aligned twice. Tire pressure is good, tires have plenty of life on them.

My truck is a 07 dc prerunner. It's lifted 3" (ome 885, bilstein 5100's all around, LR UCA, and add a leaf.) Tires are nitto 265/70/17. I have Spidertrax spacers on also, with hub centric rings.

The noise gets worse the faster I get, it's almost nonexistent below 15mph, and when I take right turns it gets worse. On left turns the noise gets a lot quieter. It's not really vibrating but just a noise so I'm almost positive it's not from the rear end. And I doubt it's the tire because it has never made that noise before and I've had the tires for almost 2 years.

Does anyone have any idea as to what it could be??

2. Aug 30, 2015 at 8:27 AM
    DJB1

DJB1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Regular Cab 4X4 5MT
    Still a wheel bearing problem. Dealership probably phucked up the install.

3. Aug 30, 2015 at 8:31 AM
    awebber3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    Exterior: MBRP catback dual exhaust Smittybilt N-fab nerf bars Bilstein 5100 shocks & struts OME 885 & add-a-leaf Ballistic Jester 17" 265/70r/17 Nitto Terrra Grappler 5500K Retrofit Headlights (Mini D2S Stage III) Black badges, Black bull bar w/ LED Pods Satoshi Grill mod K&N air filter Tri-Fold bed cover Rearview camera EGR in-channel rain guards 10% tint rear, 10% tint front, 70% tint on windshield Pop-a-Lock tailgate handle Spidertrax wheel spacers Cab mount chop BIG 3 upgrade LED Running Board lights Black LED tail lights (’09 and up style) Black LED 3rd brake WOLO Air Horn Interior: Kenwood excelon DDX9703S 2 JL 10W1V3-4 10'' subs Alpine type-R component speakers in front Alpine type-S component speakers in rear Kenwood Excelon XR900-5 amp Weather Tech laser cut floor mats Cobra radar wired in Viper 5704 alarm w/ auto start & added glass break sensor and tilt sensor
    thats what i figured. Im betting that they didnt even replace the hub assembly, just the bearing and charged me for both. i hate the stealership but i had to take it there because of work.

4. Aug 30, 2015 at 8:47 AM
    awebber3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    got an appointment in half an hour at the stealership, maybe ill get an answer this time...

5. Aug 30, 2015 at 9:22 AM
    Blue_DMZ_Tacoma

Blue_DMZ_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chaz
    Irvine, CA
    Vehicle:
    Blue DMZ Tacoma
    2006 Speedway Blue Tacoma AC TRD Prerunner Total Chaos LT Fox Coilovers Fox Bypasses King 500 DMZ Bedcage DMZ Deavers Fox 3.0 Triple Bypasses Total Chaos Spindles Glassworks Fenders DMZ Custom Bumper With 4 Vision X HID's 16" MT Classic Blue Locks 315/75/16 BFG All Terrains DMZ FAB 4.88 Gears TC Heimed Uppers
    Ask for your refund on being charged for the hub while you are there

6. Aug 30, 2015 at 9:27 AM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    It's probably the right side front wheel bearing, even though it sounds like the left. I just did both of mine, I was sure the right was the bad one, turns out the left was way worse once pressed apart and inspected.

DoorDing likes this.
  7. Aug 30, 2015 at 9:32 AM
    awebber3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    That I will do. I looked at,the hub, and someone correct me if I'm wrong but the back cap of the hub that is inside the spindle should be new if the hub assembly was replaced correct? Because it doesn't look new. It looks like it was never taken out of its place.

8. Aug 30, 2015 at 9:34 AM
    awebber3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    I told them to look at the right side also so if that's the problem ill know shortly. They are also going to put different wheels on the truck to determine whether or not that is the issue which kind of seems pointless to me. The tech even agreed that it's probably the bearing.

9. Aug 30, 2015 at 9:39 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Have you jacked the truck up yourself and tried wiggling the tire, both top and bottom and side to side? You should be able to see some play in the bearing if it is as bad as you say.

As said, wheel bearings can be hard to pinpoint with the sound being transmitted thru the frame. One other thing to keep in mind, check to make sure the carrier bearing is not bad. I had one of those go and it took me forever to find it was bad. I was sure it was a bad wheel bearing, but I was wrong.

10. Aug 30, 2015 at 9:55 AM
    awebber3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I jacked it up and there was no play in either front wheels, but when it was replaced the first time there was no play in it then either. I know that is a definite sign that it's gone bad but it's not always present. I jiggled the driveshaft around and there was no play in it, how else would I be able to tell if the carrier bearing is bad? Ill make sure I tell them to look at the carrier bearing too.

11. Aug 30, 2015 at 9:58 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Only thing I would suggest is to pull the caliper, put tire back on spin it by hand. Should be able heat it then.

12. Aug 30, 2015 at 10:04 AM
    awebber3

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    I'm going to let the stealership take one more look at since it's already up here, the new bearing is under warranty so all it cost me is my day off. Hopefully these fools figure it out this time. If they say it's the tire again ill head home and start my own diagnosis on it...

13. Aug 30, 2015 at 7:29 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Or, pull the caliper and spin the hub by hand with your forehead pressed against the spindle. As weird as this sounds, it works very well - one's skull is very effective at transferring vibration to the ears.

Products Discussed in

To Top