1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front End Popping.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by asolo, May 20, 2012.

1. Jul 28, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    hondarider215

hondarider215 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Socal
    Vehicle:
    KR Tacoma
    KR Fabrication front and rear bumper ICON 2.5 c/o's All pro leafs Maxtrac Fox rear resi shocks Lr uca 17" methods
    Ive searched through countless threads also about my front end clunking and ive found out that it was my uca's making the noise. I had someone stand in my driver door way and bounce up and down and that how i found and heard the problem but idk what to do to the uca to make it stop clunking

2. Jul 28, 2012 at 9:28 PM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [09 Boosted 4x4 Adventure House] & [86 22r Minitruck]
    CHECK BUILDS
    I know what thread your referring to. I read that thread when I Installed them. I was planning on going to the shop again and have them adjust to another settingas well as torque everything down more. Should have It done Monday or Tuesday. Will post results.

3. Aug 1, 2012 at 7:40 PM
    pa blaster

pa blaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    central pa
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's front & rear , Eibach springs, LR uca,Icon progressive aal
  4. Sep 12, 2012 at 8:22 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Hit your lower control arm cam nuts with a torque wrench set at 100ftlbs, then check the rest of your suspension for proper torque.

5. Sep 15, 2012 at 7:07 AM
    ahmadahere

ahmadahere Ahmadahere

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD Automatic
    Toytec OME Lift with OME 881s, Nitros & AALs, Weathertech Mats, TracRack Modified, Custom Unistrut Utility Rails, Pinch Weld Mods, Hi Lift Jack
    I had this problem and it turned out to be the torsion bar bushing. I re-tightened the bolt (the one that has a stud on it with an internal hex head on the end) and the popping went away.

6. Sep 15, 2012 at 7:11 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Wasn't aware that Tacomas had torsion bars. Do you mean sway bar link?

7. Sep 15, 2012 at 8:51 AM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    CHECK BUILDS
    Yes. Definitely no torsion bars. Sway bars only. It could be the sway bar if not removed. Or the UCA bushings. My popping went away after about a week of install of the new UCAs. I think the bushings just needed to be broken in.

8. Sep 18, 2012 at 8:08 PM
    ahmadahere

ahmadahere Ahmadahere

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD Automatic
    Toytec OME Lift with OME 881s, Nitros & AALs, Weathertech Mats, TracRack Modified, Custom Unistrut Utility Rails, Pinch Weld Mods, Hi Lift Jack
    Yeah I was referring to the anti-sway bar bushing. I called it a torsion bar because that is what I thought it was called. Technically it is a bar that "twists", so I just called it a torsion bar! LOL I'm learning. Do torsion bars have different functions that anti-sway bars?

9. Sep 20, 2012 at 1:55 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Torsion bars are like springs. Older toyota pick ups and chevy trucks use them instead of coil springs in the front end.

10. Sep 20, 2012 at 7:08 AM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    CHECK BUILDS
    Late 90's model f-150s had them too. You could lift the front by cranking up the torsion bars.

11. Sep 23, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    Dirty G

Dirty G Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    DC TRD Off Road
    TOYTEC coils, Rear TSB
    I have a clunk when turning right, driver side only. It is never the same noise and does not always happen.

Have a 2011 with 5100s and toytec springs; complete lift is 2.5 inches.

Any ideas?

12. Sep 23, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4

Check torque on all front end suspension nuts n bolts. Most common for clunking is going to be the lower control arm cam nuts and bolts. Usually the tech that does the alignment tightens them good, but not enough. They should be at 100ftlbs a piece. Then check the rest of the fasteners for proper torque, and that should solve your problems.

13. Sep 23, 2012 at 8:54 PM
    TeamLombardo

TeamLombardo WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    El Paso
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD Off-Road 4x4
    OME 886x, OME Trim Packer, OME Shocks, Dakars, Toytec Shims, LR UCAs, CB Drop, Demello Sliders, Pelfreybilt Plate Bumper, Warn VR8000-s, RI 20" LED, RI Duallys, TRD Exhaust, Weathertech Liners, SS Brake Lines Front/Back, BHLM, Anytime Fogs, CV Boot Mod, 20% Tint, Stubby Antenna, Salex Console Organizer, Derped Grill/Badges
    sub'd. I gots the clunk on me!

14. Sep 25, 2012 at 10:39 AM
    Dirty G

Dirty G Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    DC TRD Off Road
    TOYTEC coils, Rear TSB
    Found my problem. The two bolts connecting the lower ball joint to the spindle were loose.
    The truck is tight and clunk free.

15. Sep 25, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    TeamLombardo

TeamLombardo WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    El Paso
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB TRD Off-Road 4x4
    OME 886x, OME Trim Packer, OME Shocks, Dakars, Toytec Shims, LR UCAs, CB Drop, Demello Sliders, Pelfreybilt Plate Bumper, Warn VR8000-s, RI 20" LED, RI Duallys, TRD Exhaust, Weathertech Liners, SS Brake Lines Front/Back, BHLM, Anytime Fogs, CV Boot Mod, 20% Tint, Stubby Antenna, Salex Console Organizer, Derped Grill/Badges
    I am gonna reinspect my bolts and see if this remedies the clunkitis

16. Sep 25, 2012 at 6:39 PM
    pairodice

pairodice Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    SF NM
    Vehicle:
    02 DCSB prerunner 4x4 manual
    i had the same noise on my gen 1 w/ ome lift ended up being a bad lower ball joint. weird thing was if you jacked it up and checked with a pry bar it felt tight but when i took it apart the ball was scarred up

17. Feb 26, 2013 at 9:05 AM
    T-rev

T-rev Resident Mall Crawler

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad
    I have a clunking sound coming from the front end going over speed bumps between 5-10mph, while turning over uneven surface, and going over speed tables at 25mph. I've got Eibach's/5100's @ 0.85". I'm going to go back and make sure all the bolts are tight this weekend and see if I can solve the clunking issue.

18. Feb 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM
    XPOTRPR

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    CHECK BUILDS
    Check your shocks lower eyelet bushings. Mine were destroyed and were casuing the clunk

19. Feb 26, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    T-rev

T-rev Resident Mall Crawler

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad
    I was looking at those earlier today and they appeared fine. They have only been on the truck for 15K so far. I never had the clunk before I changed the suspension. I guess I will just have to wait until this weekend to find out.

20. Jun 1, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    Cannonball

Cannonball Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 diesel / 1979 Jeep CJ-5

Thanks! I was having all kinds of popping after an alignment. I guess they didnt torque the LCA bolts down, cause that fixed it for me.

Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top