1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front end Squeaking???

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by brandnewcolony, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Sep 3, 2011 at 1:39 PM
    brandnewcolony

brandnewcolony [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro SW
    My front end has been squeaking going over speed bumps and what not. I thought is was from the spacer lift on the stock TRD suspension that was installed by the previous owner. Well I installed some Eibachs w/ 5100's (0) earlier today and.... it still squeaks...shit. When I push down on the front I cant get it to squeak, but whenever I go over even a small speed bump at a slow speed its fairly noticeable. Any possible grease spots or other suggestions would be awesome fellows.

2. Sep 3, 2011 at 1:41 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    High pitched or kind of raspy and rough? And your sure it's the front?

3. Sep 3, 2011 at 1:45 PM
    brandnewcolony

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro SW
    Yea Im sure its coming from the front, the back end is pretty quiet going over speed bumps. It's a high pitch squeak like somethings not lubricated.

4. Sep 3, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Your bumper may be a little loose.

5. Sep 3, 2011 at 1:58 PM
    ilovetacos

ilovetacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    Check your tailgate too...I've had the most annoying squeak for a few months and completely went over my entire suspension and tightened up every bolt I could get to. One day when unloading some gear out of the bed I noticed the tailgate when I went to open it had the squeak I've been hearing. A little lube on the lock mech and it's fixed.

6. Sep 3, 2011 at 2:05 PM
    brandnewcolony

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro SW
    I'll check the bumper to see if anything is loose. Right when the front tires start to go upward when hitting the speed bump I can here the squeak start. When it starts the downward travel it's the same squeaking sound. My friend said the other day that it sounded like the squeaking is coming from the front end frame. I didnt think that was likely but I could be wrong.

7. Sep 3, 2011 at 2:07 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I have a similar squeak but it's the leaf springs. Try standing in the bed and jumping too.

8. Sep 3, 2011 at 2:09 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    I have the same squeak in the front, also when going through dips or speed bumps. Let's see who can find the cure first.

9. Sep 3, 2011 at 2:16 PM
    brandnewcolony

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro SW
    Yep same when going in dips too.

10. Sep 3, 2011 at 9:18 PM
    GeauxTigers

GeauxTigers //TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Sterlington, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    265/70/17 BFG KO2/17"x7" Pro Sema Wheels/OME 884/Bilstein 5100 front & rear/HeadStrong 1/4" TP spacer/Deaver 1.5"-2" AAL/Mud-Flap delete/Westin Bed mat/UltraGauge/ WeatherTechs/AFE Pro Dry Drop in Filter/debadged/AVS in-channel window visors/color-matched OEM grille/Kicker 6.75" Components in front door/Alpine KTP-445U power pack behind factory head unit/
    i have the same high pitched squeak in the front end. noticed it when i picked my truck up from the shop after putting spacer lift on.:crapstorm:

anyways.. i was hoping it was the shocks and hoping that they would eventually wear into their new setting, but that hasn't happened yet. its soooo annoying. suggestions? (besides ditching the spacer lift and adding a suspension lift. its not in my budget and id rather not put a ton of money in a 6 year old truck i just purchased) lol thanks

11. Sep 3, 2011 at 10:00 PM
    00yotasr5

00yotasr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    lee
    merced, ca
    Vehicle:
    00 SR5 4X4 RED DEVIL
    Icon ext travel expo leafs rear billies 5125 10'' travel bamf bpv relocate Brute Force Fab Sliders allpro ss brake lines f/r LR UCA 22in wetokled bar RAT Products ifs skid ARB rear locker Ultra gauge Redline Hood Struts Blue Sea Fuse box smittybilt xrc 9.5 w/TJM synthetic rope trail-gear rock assault low profile bumper LED bed strip 12v/usb charger in truck bed
    sound like rubber rubbing against metal , hmmm my cousins truck did the same thing so we just spray some lubercant on all rubber to metal contact areas. uca/lca anything that moves up and down. give that a try

12. Sep 3, 2011 at 11:13 PM
    brandnewcolony

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro SW
    What type of lubricant would you recommend??

13. Sep 4, 2011 at 1:29 AM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Do you live by a lowes? They sell a lube in a spray can. It's white with a green top. Picture of the earth on it. Good stuff. It has quieted my steering components, leaf springs, and other stuff. It's safe for anything.

14. Sep 4, 2011 at 7:16 AM
    brandnewcolony

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro SW
    Yea I live right by Lowes, I actually used to work their. I'll check it out today to see what I can find. Thanks!

15. Sep 4, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Your welcome.

16. Sep 4, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Make sure you wipe up any excess if you can. Because in some areas it will attract dirt.

17. Nov 18, 2013 at 9:25 AM
    BrandonDean

BrandonDean Member

Member:
    I may have found the issue to the front end squeaking. (time will tell) When the hood is open and you bounce the truck you cant hear a thing the second i closed the hood the noise came right back. Couldn't find where anything was scratching until we looked at the hood latch. Paint was being scrapped off the bottom of the hook so my guess is that is was metal to metal noise from the front. After adding some lube i have not heard it in now 24hrs. Im sure when it dries again it will come right back so ill need to figure out a way to adjust it or see if toyota knows how to adjust the latch. Ill be back if it ends up not being the solution.

18. Nov 18, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    low boy

low boy 4wd Toyota Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma TRD Xtra-cab
    lift, tires, wheels, some interior stuff
    WD40 on the top of the shock housing, shocks, and the lower ends where it connects, same thing with the leaf springs (front and back) it'll need to be kept in check about every 3 months unless you just drill and tap for zues fittings. the wd40 works for me. no sqeeky bumps.

19. Nov 18, 2013 at 5:41 PM
    PATACO13

PATACO13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Erie, PA
    Vehicle:
    '03 V6 TRD 4x4
    stock
    I had terrible front end squeaking on my 2000 reg cab. Was the lower control arm bushings. Take wheels off and spray white lithium grease with the red nozzle in where lca mounts to frame. Mine was quiet for about three weeks before it needed some more. Question: Does it still squeak when you're driving in the rain?

20. Oct 19, 2014 at 10:32 PM
    Liem Salim

Liem Salim Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport
    K&N Cold Air Intake (63-Series) Retrofitted Headlights (FX-R Stage III w/ Apollo 3.0 shroud) Leer 180 Cap Custom Bed Sliders iPad Mini Entertainment System LED bed lights
    Hey I had this same problem, but what i thought was a front end squeak was actually it was in the back. I conformed this by hopping in my bed and and started to hop. Sure enough it was defiantly was coming from the back. I recently got new tires and a new spare (all tires bigger than old/stock ones, new ones 265/70). Looking underneath I saw that there was a coil/spring on the spare holding it up. So i dropped the spare and jump on the bed, squeak gone! also underneath it seemed like the new bigger tires were rubbing on some metal. I put in long Gorilla tape on where the contact points (were there was dust/dirt missing) and put the spare back up, and made sure that the spare was on tight and had no play.....NO SQUEAK!

Products Discussed in

To Top