1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front end / steering loose play

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jed1894, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Jul 8, 2011 at 7:30 PM
    jed1894

jed1894 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
    I did a search and found a couple threads about this issue (loose play in steering wheel--feels like tie rod ends are worn out) but they concerned 2010 and before. I have 2011 4x4 (with 5000 miles) and when I travel over rough ground, I get some movement (play) in my steering wheel. Feels like something is loose in the steering column. I read the TSB for the 2010.

Anyone having same problem?

Anyone know if the 2010 TSB will work for the 2011?

Anyone know if a fix? zip tie????

Any help is much appreciated.

thanks, jed

2. Jul 10, 2011 at 5:15 PM
    TacomaUtah

TacomaUtah Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    YES ! mine has this horrible feeling off road and when slowly going over square hits or wash board. It comes through the steering wheel.

I have taken it to two different dealers one in Cali and 1 in Utah both times they could not find any problem...

Off road its very noticeable and feels like crap, also when turning moving slowly over any small square bump like on a parking lot entrance with a small lip for the gutter...

it had this feeling with 5 miles and has gotten slighlty more noticable with over 12,000 miles now ! :confused:

3. Jul 10, 2011 at 5:38 PM
    bcb97

bcb97 Well-Known Member

Member:
  4. Jul 10, 2011 at 7:47 PM
    jed1894

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
  5. Jul 13, 2011 at 4:24 PM
    TacomaUtah

TacomaUtah Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    Took the truck in and the dealer spent about 3 hours trying to find anything wrong, even with the TSB notice. Still nothing, they said it feels fine to them and could not feel any play or looseness :mad:

6. Jul 13, 2011 at 5:45 PM
    bcb97

bcb97 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Another dealer close by?

7. Jul 13, 2011 at 8:56 PM
    horwitzs

horwitzs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Supercharger, OME lift w/ LR UCAs, running boards, toolbox, extinguisher mount, skidplate, N-Fab light bar, 40" R.I. LED bar, WO seat covers, TRD intake, Weathertech mats and visors, stubby antenna, hood struts, LED interior lighting, Hella Supertones, and other stuff I'm forgetting.
    Mine too, exactly as you describe.
    Also a 2011 w/ 5k miles, done it since new.

8. Jul 13, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    charles08tacoma

charles08tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR-5 Access Cab
    White Snug Top shell
    I've been dealing with this same steering on my 08 Prerunner since it was new. I went back to the dealer to speak with the service manager this morning. He spent over an hour with me, drove my truck & felt the steering wheel shake/vibration while he was driving it. None of the mechanics have felt it when I've brought it in over the past 3 years. He says the steering TSB doesn't apply here. He says I needto have my tires road force balanced ant the number needs to be less than 15 for each tire on the machine so the shake will be imperceptible. If road force doesn't make it much better, he says there is a steering rack adjustment they can make where the steerin shaft goes into the rack to tighten up some play. He says they need to be careful as there is a very fine lint between loose & binding. Friday I'm getting the road force balance done on my new tires & see if this helps. The service manager seems very willing to work with me to resolve this issue even though I'm at 39 months/38k miles.

9. Jul 15, 2011 at 7:56 AM
    PA452

PA452 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Interesting. Anyone else ever hear of this? It definitely sounds like something I need to look into.

My steering started feeling less than ideal around 45k miles. I'm now at around 67k, and it feels like absolute garbage to the point that I absolutely hate driving the truck. I've been to dealerships and private shops with no success. I've looked at it myself and can't find anything. I feel like I have chain links as part of my steering linkage. Even when I go to back up, I can feel the wheels kink slightly to one side or the other. :mad:

10. Jul 15, 2011 at 7:59 AM
    HuntnTruk

HuntnTruk Tacohead

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    New York-not the City
    Vehicle:
    Indigo SR5 4x4
    Definitely have this issue with mine. Id like to get it fixed but Im willing to bet they will give me a hard time with doing the TSB since Im lifted

11. Jul 15, 2011 at 4:44 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    Mine is the same. I have a 2011 TRD with 10k miles. It has felt that way from the day I bought it. I just had the TSB done about 3 weeks ago. It helped a little, but it still dosnt feel 'solid'. The lead mechanic told me it may be a characteristic of the vehicle. Funny thing is I had a camry as a loaner vehicle and the steering felt more solid than my truck. I drive on a wash board road every day because of my job.

12. Jul 17, 2011 at 2:57 PM
    Fishnuts

Fishnuts New Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Hey guys,

I've been lurking for a while now, but haven't had anything constructive or interesting to add until now.

I had, what sounds like, the exact same problem y'all are having with the steering. I noticed it for the first time on a washboard road in Moab. I took it in and they diagnosed it as a problem with my intermediate shaft (whatever that is). I'm not sure if it was a TSB, but they said it had some play in it and replaced it for me. The problem wasn't really resolved, but I lived with it for another few weeks. Another trip to Moab, another washboard road, and I couldn't stand it. SO, I took it in to the Mark Miller Dealership (here in Salt Lake City) and one of the service guys there took a real interest in the case. He had his guys tear the truck apart (they kept it for nearly a week) looking for the problem. They replaced shocks, coils, coil overs, and all sorts of suspension components trying to fix the rattle. To no avail. As it turns out, although they replaced the intermediate shaft, it wasn't installed properly. They gave it another shot, replaced all the parts, tightened everything up, and I'm happy to report (after a couple of off road tests) the issue is resolved.

I have the name of the service guy I worked with and the actual mechanic who was instrumental in finding and resolving the problem. I don't know if this is helpful for anyone outside of Utah, but if your dealership is willing to make a phone call, I'll share the name of the guy who fixed it for me here, and maybe they can talk to them. I've read a lot of horror stories from dealerships on this site, but the guys here in Salt Lake have done a fantastic job for me with little issues (and this big one) as they've arisen.

PM me for details... I don't want to throw the names out on the interweb.

Cheers.

13. Jul 17, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    bcb97

bcb97 Well-Known Member

Member:

So was it indeed the intermediate shaft?

14. Jul 17, 2011 at 8:53 PM
    Fishnuts

Fishnuts New Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    Yeah, I think the diagnosis was "excessive play in the intermediate shaft." From what they told me, it's not an uncommon with the '10s and '11s...

15. Jul 18, 2011 at 2:24 AM
    Capita

Capita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corner Brook, Newfoundland, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Double Cab
    Had mine in a few times and the dealer said they cannot find anythine wrong

16. Jul 18, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    jed1894

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
    Anyone have the actual TSB? I would like to print it out when I go in at next oil change. I see the number, but don't know how to find it.

thanks, jed

17. Jul 19, 2011 at 4:18 AM
    Oceanrunner

Oceanrunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had this TSB performed on my 2011 TRD DC 4x4.

TSB 0119-10.

My truck had the problem in the steering since day one. Loose play over washboard road and sloppy steering. The dealer will never be able to recreate the problem unless they are near the same type of terrain.

When you bring it in they change the intermediate shaft to part# 45220-04020 and bolt washer 90080-11555. Also they perform an alignment. Make sure they keep your steering wheel strait. I had to bring it back in to have them straighten my steering wheel...pain in the ass.

The steering is now much tighter.

18. Jul 22, 2011 at 9:57 PM
    TacomaUtah

TacomaUtah Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    finally found an area behind the dealer with some bumpy pot holes and a few square hits in a row. They heard and felt the problem right away and said they would order and replace the intermediate shaft asap !

I recommend to anyone with the issue to spend some time driving around near the dealer looking for some nasty terrain and then make them come with you on a test drive. I will post later in the week with the final outcome and im really hoping this will make my truck feel amazing ! :cool:

19. Jul 22, 2011 at 10:28 PM
    charles08tacoma

charles08tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR-5 Access Cab
    White Snug Top shell
    Got my intermediate shaft replaced as well as the rubber bushing in the firewall the shaft passes through. Evidentally there was so much play in the shaft it tore the rubber bushing. Only problem is truck going back to dealer in the morning to have the steering wheel straightened. When wheel is straight truck drifts left. Guess the mechanic didnt use a steering wheel lock to keep it centered. Toyota ok'd warranty even though im at 39 months & 38,550 miles. Clunk noise now gone - for now anyway.....

20. Jul 27, 2011 at 8:36 PM
    TacomaUtah

TacomaUtah Member

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    Got the TSB done finally at a different dealer than purchased and the truck feels better than new ! For now anyway, i have yet to rally it off road and see if it comes screaming back. Under normal driving conditions the front end feels night and day smoother and more responsive !

I will post again when i have more miles with the new intermediate shaft...

Products Discussed in

To Top