1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front end vibration

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bluekayaker, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Nov 20, 2011 at 4:06 PM
    bluekayaker

bluekayaker [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tim
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma trd
    This question has probably been asked and answered before, if so i apologize for not searching the forums more thoroughly.

Let me also preface this by saying i am not mechanically inclined, i have trouble nailing 2 boards together and it was a great accomplishment for me that I recently figured out how the change my own headlight bulbs.

I have a 2006 Tacoma TRD Double Cab short bed. automatic trans. 136000 miles.

Recently i started to notice a bad vibration in my trucks front end. I noticed it after I had an oil change done at the local quick/jiffy/fast/rapid lube place. Just because I noticed it then doesnt really mean that that is when it started, I tend to have Boneyard on Sirius up pretty loud most of the time.

The vibration feels like it is coming from the front right tire area. It starts when i hit about 30 mph or 1250 rpms. The vibration lessens and goes away when I lift my foot off the accelerator. Comes back when i step on it again. It seems to be worse when I am going uphill and recedes coming downhill, but I think that is because I am stepping on the gas going up and laying off coming down.

Also, my gas mileage also seems to have noticeably worsened since I began to feel the vibration.

i checked my tire pressure and its all good although the tires are about ready to be replaced, they are unevenly worn.

i do not do alot of 4wd or off road driving. 4wd only in the snow for the most part.

It almost feels like i am in 4wd but I am not, that's the best way I can describe the vibration. I checked the switch and its in 2wd and there are no 4wd indicators lit. Also when turning hard or backing i can tell its not in 4wd, its not jumpy at all.

Factors that may be relevant:
    - Drove on the beach for the 1st time this summer so i did daily deflate/inflate for the better part of 2 weeks. This was back in july.

- We recently had the big Halloween snowstorm here in NJ and I was in 4wd (high) for the better part of 2 days. Also a little 4wd (lo) when i needed to get up my driveway. The plows do pile up snow at the foot of the driveway so i kind of bang over the snow/ice a few times until I or my lazy offspring can get it cleared.

- I just made my last payment.

- the guy in the jiffy/rapid lube tried to sell me on changing my cabin filter, i declined and he seemed kind of miffed like i was being really stupid not listening to his expert advice.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tim
    Bluekayaker

2. Nov 20, 2011 at 4:16 PM
    Texoma

Texoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Poweraid TB spacer, a bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA 2035s headers and dey are perty, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, LR UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, 5 factory 16" steels wit Pep Boys special Dakota Definity MT's in 285/75/16, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more but it's alre
    Could be any number of things. One of the vibe issues is with the front diff, most of the time it is only if you have a lift kit on. The way to diagnose the diff bearing is to; on strait road, get the truck to do the vibration and then engage the 4 hi, if the vibe goes away, then it is your front diff bearing. Another could be a wheel bearing; if you are going to get new tires soon, which you should since winter is knocking at the door, then tell the mech about this issue and they will check for a bad wheel bearing before they do the alignment. It could also be the tires are so badly worn that they are causing the vibration. I live near King of Prussia,PA and there are a whole slew of guys in your area as well that are dieing to do a meet soon, and we may be able to help you diagnose your problem with out having to try and find an honest mechanic. Check out the North East forum under the forum list tab to see when some guys and gals are getting together.

To Top