1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front lift question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by rogerkamp8817, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Apr 20, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    rogerkamp8817

rogerkamp8817 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota TRD Off-Road 4x4, AC, Superwhite
    I got the rear TSB done and I would like to level the front out. I'm thinking about getting Bilstein 5100's.

Can I save some change and re-use my factory TRD off road springs? Is this not recommended? What is the spring rate of the factory spring compared to after-market springs (ie OME).

I'm planning on running factory wheels and tires for a while so I don't think I'm interested in a 3 in lift (don't want it to look tiny). I mostly off road in the desert, with lots of wash board stuff that rattles my teeth out. I'm looking to get better ride quality in this kind of environment.

thank you!

2. Apr 20, 2010 at 12:19 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    The 5100s are designed to re-use your factory coils. Which is a great way to go. For what you are doing, you may want to get the bilstein 5100s both front and rear, and get the 3 leaf aal set for the rear. That will really help with wash boards.

3. Apr 21, 2010 at 12:10 AM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Yo Roger! Yeah, you'll be happy with the 5100s and stock coils for leveling and improved ride.

On a side note: air-down your tires off road! Set your tires (let the air out) to about 25psi on the washboard and you'll be amazed at how much smoother your ride is. Plus 25psi is plenty safe to drive on the street with untill you can find some air at a gas station or buy a $25 air compressor powered off your cig-lighter. Buy a decent tire gauge too, somethng in the $15+ range.

Even for casual offroading I'll go to 25psi and for the gnarly stuff I go in the 12 to 20 range depending on the terrain.

Let me know if you want to wheel on Sat, I'll show you the ropes of the tire world.

4. Apr 21, 2010 at 12:14 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    I've found that the OME shocks handle heat build-up from washboarding and lots of bumps way better than the bilsteins from my 'wheeling experiences. I like my OME's way better than the 5100's for the money. Just my $.02

5. Apr 21, 2010 at 12:36 AM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    You will be surprised what billy 5100s with the factory coils can do, my avatar pic is with billstien 5100 at 2.5 with stock spring and 3 leaf aal. yea like the guy above said air out your tires and it will completely change the ride.

6. Apr 21, 2010 at 8:43 AM
    rogerkamp8817

rogerkamp8817 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orange County, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota TRD Off-Road 4x4, AC, Superwhite
    awesome! I placed an order for the 5100's. can't wait for them to get here.

John, I think I'm heading up to Pyramid on Saturday in the afternoon to do some fishing. We can go up a couple hours early (noonish maybe) and try out some stuff of those trails if you're down!

Products Discussed in

To Top