1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front right crunching??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by dylandercole, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Feb 21, 2010 at 10:47 PM
    dylandercole

dylandercole [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    When braking there is a kind of crunching sound coming from the front right on the truck. It also happens when turning in reverse. dont think my tires are rubbing because Iv trimmed the hell out of the wheel well already. It started happening after I swapped out my brake lines a couple weeks ago. It was really bad, then I went in and got my wheels retorqued and it was almost gone after that, now its back jsut as bad as before. any ideas?

2. Feb 22, 2010 at 5:35 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    Did you trim the front of the wheel well? Mine does it up front where the plastic well cover comes down.

3. Feb 22, 2010 at 8:38 AM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    I didnt but when I wass turning the wheels to see where I needed to trim they didnt even come close to the front. But im going to trim them this morning just to be sure. I just dont get why it would start after I installled my brake lines and not before.

4. Feb 22, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    so when I was out trimming some more I discovered that it makes the same noise when im turning the tires about 3/4 of the way to the right. no one is here to turn the wheel while I look so im still lost

5. Feb 22, 2010 at 12:28 PM
    pdxwhiteout

pdxwhiteout monster taco in the snow

Member:
    First Name:
    coty
    pdx
    Vehicle:
    monster tacoma
    3-inch body lift, 6-inch fabtech lift, 17-inch procomp black alloys wrapped in bfg 37s. trd v-6.
    check your ball joints bro. they can cause all kinds of nasty noise while turning on our style taco. i had to replace the upper drivers two weeks ago for a small list of bad noises. going to pick up the other side this afternoon, been waiting for it to show up. they wont cause braking noise though so i could be out of range here, just a thought. good luck. oh and if you havnt already 2xcheck all the work from the brake line install. cant bde to safe with brake work.

6. Feb 22, 2010 at 12:39 PM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    I checked the brake lines multiple times, I dont want those suckers causing problems. how much were the balljoints and how would I go about checking them?

7. Feb 22, 2010 at 4:55 PM
    pdxwhiteout

Member:
    First Name:
    coty
    pdx
    Vehicle:
    monster tacoma
    3-inch body lift, 6-inch fabtech lift, 17-inch procomp black alloys wrapped in bfg 37s. trd v-6.
    figured you had, just making sure. the best way to go about checking the condition of the ball joint would to check for excessive freeplay. raise the wheel off the ground and start by checking for lots of wheel movement. you probably wont find any unless the joint is really bad. so then use pair of channel locks, big enough to get good comfertable grip from the top of the upper control arm to the knuckle. squeez and release to see if it compresses alot. if it has more than a couple mm of freeplay it too much. hope that helps. if you need some more help checking em i can post some photos. i replace the ball joint with a fabtech part# fts96000 because its a factory replacment with a grease fitting, it cost me $36 from 4wheel parts. im sure it was a little cheaper than going to toyota. good hunting, keep me posted.

8. Feb 22, 2010 at 5:08 PM
    ttylerr

ttylerr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fort McMurray, Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 MGM 4Banger 4x4
    5% tint all around, Alpine IVA-W505, 16x8 Mojave Teflon Rims w/Hercules Terra Trac 265/75, Grillcraft Grill, Slimcubby HIDs, Front 5100's @ 0 w/Eibach 1.6" springs, URD Short Shifter, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, Uniden Pro510XL and K30Mag Mount, Relentless Fab Bumper soon to come
    with the front wheels lifted off the ground you can check balljoints by grabbing the top and bottom of tire and push the on top of the tire while pulling on the bottom of the tire, alternating the procedure from top to bottom. ideally there shouldn't be any movement in the tire, it should feel solid. if you can feel the tire moving in and out, you have a bad ball joint. IMO, if you have one bad ball joint, and they've never been done before, do them all at once. you should also consider an alignment afterwards.

9. Feb 22, 2010 at 9:37 PM
    pdxwhiteout

Member:
    First Name:
    coty
    pdx
    Vehicle:
    monster tacoma
    i agree 100%. they should be done together and you mosdef will need the alignment afterwards. also dont forget to check the lower ball joints too. i didnt mention that before.

10. Feb 22, 2010 at 9:56 PM
    dylandercole

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    right on guys. thanks for the help. ill check those out asap, and ill keep you posted

Products Discussed in

To Top