1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front shock retainer / washer install order??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by brandnewcolony, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Aug 29, 2011 at 11:06 AM
    brandnewcolony

brandnewcolony [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro SW
    This is what I purchased: However this diagram shows I need an extra retainer/ washer??: I am wanting to assemble my new 5100's and Eibach coils together so I can just swap the whole shock/ coil assembly out. I purchased new top plates, as well as the bushing/ washer kit from Toytec in the link above. I'd appreciate any help you could provide me, Thanks

2. Aug 29, 2011 at 3:24 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:

The stock diagram shows that little middle "retainer" washer right under the top plate ("suspension support"). That comes as part of the stock top plate assembly. I believe it is glued in. For 5100s, that part is not used. However, if you ever change to, say, OME Nitrochargers, you will need it again. So save that thing when you take it off. It is special order from the dealer.

That retainer is a specific diameter that needs to fit precisely around the shock piston shaft and eliminate any play.

Look under your new, stock top plates, and you should see it pressed on there. See if the 5100 shaft even fits through it. I think you will find that is does not, and you need to pull the retainer off the bottom of the top plate.

if I sound a little unsure, it is because I had my front 5100s done at a shop because I had no time, so I never R&Rd them myself. Later, when I decided to change to Nitrochargers, I removed them from my truck and took them to the same shop with their big coil compressor and hung out while the tech did it. The OME instructions specifically say to resuse it. Well I was screwed, because they were gone, and special order. The OME shafts had play without it.

3. Aug 29, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    brandnewcolony

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro SW
    Thanks scocar! My Tacoma currently has a spacer lift on the factory coil and shock. So needless to say the whole assembly is shot and I'm sure a few stock pieces were removed by the previous owner when he installed the spacers. I see that the new top plate "suspension support" I purchased has the rubber "cushion" already included but no washer. The washer/ bushing kit I ordered from Toytec also included the same "cushion" that came with the top plate, however, they are slightly different. Both have the part on the cushion that protrudes to fit in to the bottom of the top plate. Here is a pic of how I think it should go. Please correct me if I'm wrong, or tell me if I'm right as i'm still not 100% sure. Thanks!1314661093_ec83de0aeeecf7b70217b66ccff03a516e9108c5.jpg

4. Aug 29, 2011 at 4:51 PM
    brandnewcolony

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro SW
    Here are the two bottom "Cushions" I believe... The one on the left is from the Toytec kit and the one on the right came with the new top plate.1314660717_7e2b3d019e67923ce8c8de33f2e8dc45bb8612be.jpg

5. Aug 29, 2011 at 5:29 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Ah. OK. I think you should go with the beefier one form Toytec for your setup, but notice the top of the "stock" one? The "middle retainer" in the diagram is shaped exactly like the top of that thing. It is thin metal, with a flared bottom that fits the bevel around the rubber on the wide part, and also a vertical ferrule-shaped part at the top that goes around that top nipple and protects it and fills lateral space between it and the opening in the bottom of the top plate. If your's didn't come with that, you will need to special order it from Toyota if you install other shocks in the future.

As far as the setup, you're picture looks right except make sure that those retainers are placed with the flanges pointed toward the rubber bushings. On the bottom one, the falnge should face up, and on the top one, it should face down. This helps contain the deformation of the rubber bushings when the assembly is complete. Make sense?

6. Aug 29, 2011 at 5:42 PM
    brandnewcolony

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro SW
    Awww, I gotcha man. Thanks again for the help, I was hoping that was the correct way, the assembly diagram through me off.

How did you go about getting that extra retainer for your set-up? Toyota Parts dept?

7. Aug 29, 2011 at 7:47 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Yes. They do not stock them in the parts department, because it is not really a commonly needed item and doesn't wear out. It may take them a couple days to get it from a central warehouse.

Products Discussed in

To Top