1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Shocks

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 95pickup, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Mar 29, 2018 at 5:03 AM
    95pickup

95pickup [OP] New Member

Member:
    Question. When replacing the rusted frame under warranty, do the front shocks come off? The dealer is trying to get me on labor for replacing the shocks. I'm willing to buy the shocks but aren't they double dipping by charging me labor?

2. Mar 29, 2018 at 5:11 AM
    Kleenax

Kleenax Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2001 SR5 4WD V6 Auto - Mica Green
    New frame & stuff CBI bolt-on Sliders
    Yes they are!

How the heck would you get the old frame out and the new frame in without touching the shocks?

Well, they DO have to walk over the their parts department and "touch" your new shocks by taking them out of their box, so maybe that is the justification that they're using!

3. Mar 29, 2018 at 5:44 AM
    Kytacotrd

Kytacotrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD xtra cab
    They do charge for front shock installation due to assembling the coil over. I also replaced coil springs and rear shocks, no charge on those. My swap was done at greens Toyota in Lexington about a month ago. Great experience, they charged reduced labor on anything I had to pay for like the front shocks. 55 an hour instead of 148.

DustStorm4x4 likes this.
  4. Mar 29, 2018 at 7:52 AM
    95pickup

95pickup [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thinking of telling them thanks but no thanks. Just leave the new shocks in the box and I'll do it when I get the truck back. Let them put the old ones back in.

Prayn4surf likes this.
  5. Mar 29, 2018 at 7:54 AM
    95pickup

95pickup [OP] New Member

Member:
    BTW they want 2.2 hours at $120/hr. $264 in labor to install the shocks!

6. Mar 29, 2018 at 8:05 AM
    skeezix

skeezix Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    Now you're cookin' with gas! Plan to spend a couple of hours replacing the shocks, and you'll need a decent coil spring compressor (~$50) too. No need to pay $250 to somebody who will likely screw it up...

7. Mar 31, 2018 at 8:03 AM
    djohn24

djohn24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    03 Double cab SR5 Tacoma 4x4
  8. Mar 31, 2018 at 8:25 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    It is normal for a charge for any coil over shock replacement from any shop. Even shops that offer free replacement will charge you for breaking down and replacing the shocks. Shocks and installation is free, but not the break down of each coil over assembley.

So let me get this straight.

You just got a new frame, been driving a rental for who know how long and you have paid little money? Now you think having to pay $250 for having the front shock replaced is too, much money?

If I was getting a new frame and it was suggested that I needed shocks, but it was going to cost me, I wouldn't be able to write the check fast enough.

Anyone else who has gone to get shocks changed out at the dealer has to wait for the car to be done. You just have to wait for a call saying your truck is done and drive over the next day and swap out vehicles.

Sorry for the rant. I get irritated by everyone that refers the dealerships as "stealerships". We are all on this site gain knowledge so we don't get taken advantage of.

I know you just wanted to know if the front shocks are removed.

Yes, they are removed, but are removed as assemblies. The coilspring and the shock are still together and it takes time and special tools to take them apart. That's why they want $264 to do this work.

9. Mar 31, 2018 at 8:32 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    And they may well have had to destroy the lower bolt to even remove that assembly.

OP, if you want some aftermarket gear instead of OE shocks, just discuss it with them. It may be an option they'll consider.

If you bring a pre assembled unit, you may even save your labor cost, or at least reduce it.

DustStorm4x4 likes this.
  10. Mar 31, 2018 at 10:28 AM
    djohn24

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    Yes, they would charge you to remove coil and install new strut. But, considering there is no labor charge involved in removing & reinstalling the struts from the truck and they say it calls for 2.2 hours and $264??? I am sure they have Coil Spring Press Compressor machine to do the job fast.
    No way it takes 2.2 hours!

This is where the I don't have a issue with everyone referring to them as "Stealerships" This is where I get irritated with dealerships and I think it's good that members use this term and their dealership stories on this site to inform and educate members. I got a quote from Firestone last year to replace my front struts. It was a new coil & strut assembly. $521! I said , no thank you. As I mentioned in my post below... $180 free ship and took me about 45 min to install both. I am sure Firestone could get those struts for same price or cheaper. Lets just say, the same price. So, that leaves $341. So are they saying that, they need $341 for labor to remove old and install new on a job that took me 45 minutes?? I am sure the charge for the struts were much higher then $180 I paid. But still! Either way you break it down. It's easy profit for them. I am fortunate to do most work myself. I understand some people cant. But this info may help them to shop around when they are quoted a price to have work done.

11. Apr 1, 2018 at 11:03 AM
    djohn24

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    I have to ask kodittion, do you work for a dealership? Nobody in "this post" referred to dealerships as stealerships. I apologize but, I am just having trouble understanding your rant on" this post". Nobody that has bought these trucks should have to be dealing with frame rot in their short life.

Getting a new frame and having a rental for however long and paying little money imo, doesn't make it alright to go ahead and overcharge! $264 to just remove coils and install on new strut?? That is a total cornholing of the customer with their pants on.

12. Apr 1, 2018 at 11:24 AM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Nope, don't work for a dealer.

I do know how quickly overhead costs add up for anyone. Insurance, tools, lifts, heat are just a small part of what comes out of that 2 hrs of the techs time. I don't think the $264 price is excessive.

A 15 plus year old vehicle will have parts that will break. I still stand behind my believing this is an ok price.

I live in Michigan, I know rusty vehicles. This simple coil spring shock swap out will go south quickly.

I do like that many have learned to do the job themselves and save a huge amount of money.

Secondly, we do have dealership parts guys on this site that allow us to buy parts at a very deep discount. I'm embarrassed that some will use the term "stealership", then shortly they need parts and have no issue asking that dealership parts man for the discounted price. I don't want to be that guy.

The opening post caught my attention at a bad time yesterday. I should have walked away. I apologize for my hyjacking the thread.

djohn24 likes this.
  13. Apr 1, 2018 at 12:26 PM
    djohn24

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    Ok, I wasn't trying to come off being ignorant. I have to say, I agree with all you said. Except, believing the price is ok. I am willing to do business with any shop that treats me fair. Also, I am willing to speak up and let them know when they are not. We are all entitled to our own thoughts/opinions. No need to apologize Kod...it's cool. It is so easy in these post for conversation to lead to other things. I am no different then you. There are times I should have walked away or not get involved too.

koditten likes this.
  14. Apr 1, 2018 at 12:36 PM
    85GT 79FJ40

85GT 79FJ40 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD Sport DCSB 6M - 2017 Honda Africa Twin
    During the frame replacement the whole strut assembly will already be out of the truck and they'll have to put it back in. So part of the job is already done. However there's a really good chance the upper nuts are rusted solid to the shock shafts. They were on my 03. I had to basically cut the shocks out of the coil over and it took quite a while. However I just swapped out my Moog HD springs for OME 880's this morning on my 5100's. Both sides took me about 90 minutes and I wasn't rushing at all. But everything was 6 months old. It all came right apart. Makes a BIG difference in how things go. Had I known it was going to be such a bear the first time I would have just bought new mounts/cushions, etc. and just tossed the old struts in the trash complete.

djohn24 likes this.
  15. Apr 1, 2018 at 1:16 PM
    djohn24

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    Interesting info 85gt! So removing struts from the truck, replacing springs, reinstalling struts was a 90 min, not rushing job? Thats why I went with the complete assembly. I figured the factory springs were going on 15 yrs old and I didn't want to fool with compressing the springs. I don't do any off roading with it and I am really happy with the ride i get with the Gabriels.

koditten likes this.
  16. Apr 1, 2018 at 7:57 PM
    APACHETECH

APACHETECH Well-Known Member

Member:
    central pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB OR
    Trd Baja lift Wheelers Aal SCS Ray 10 16x8s Cooper AT3 4S 265/75/16 Trd shift knob Weather tech front and back Heated seats Auto start Immryo mirror mod Mods to install : 4x4 lighted switch Speakers/components/sub and box from Mr. Marv Redline hood struts One piece engine splash gaurds Wish list/looking for : Matching cap Light bar/pods Seat covers Roof rack Step bar Skid plates
    Had my 04 double cab replaced a few years ago. Dealer in state college said if I wanted shocks to get them and they would install no charge. So I bought new shocks and coils. They didnt charge me a dime when I picked my truck up. Could be just a difference in dealers ?

djohn24 likes this.
  17. Apr 2, 2018 at 1:55 AM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    ^