1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front vs rear width questions

Discussion in 'Long Travel Suspension' started by tacotunner06, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Jan 30, 2020 at 12:29 AM
    tacotunner06

tacotunner06 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Edmonds, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 White Tacoma
    LS Swap with RSG Tranzilla, Custom hi clearance front bumper, Relentless: Slider's, bed rails, rear bumper, Prinsu with 40" BD s8. Dirt Designs 3.5 LT. Archive Garage rear towers/shackle flip/SUA. King Air bumps. King LT Coilovers in front. King 12x2.5 in rear. ARB rear air locker and twin compressor. SCS f5's with 33" Ridge Grapplers. 20" S8 mounted in bumper, squadron sport fog lights, squadron pro backup lights, LP6's bumper mounted.
    I've heard a few snippets about how you would want a wider front end than rear for high speed stuff. Anyone have any real answer here? I've got a +2 TC kit right now but would like to upgrade to a Camburg 3.5 kit eventually. The reason i ask this is I am going to swap in a Tundra 10.5" rear axle which seems to be about 6-7" wider than stock. I originally wasn't going to shorten it at all, but now i'm thinking differently. Thanks for any help.

2. Jan 30, 2020 at 9:06 PM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    I've only seen that on race kit trucks - if you're going aftermarket / axle swap why not consider a 9" or 60 - you can get axles with the same bolt pattern.

3. Jan 30, 2020 at 9:57 PM
    tacotunner06

tacotunner06 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Edmonds, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2006 White Tacoma
    LS Swap with RSG Tranzilla, Custom hi clearance front bumper, Relentless: Slider's, bed rails, rear bumper, Prinsu with 40" BD s8. Dirt Designs 3.5 LT. Archive Garage rear towers/shackle flip/SUA. King Air bumps. King LT Coilovers in front. King 12x2.5 in rear. ARB rear air locker and twin compressor. SCS f5's with 33" Ridge Grapplers. 20" S8 mounted in bumper, squadron sport fog lights, squadron pro backup lights, LP6's bumper mounted.
    Cause the tundra rear end is cheap, and a built rear axle ranges from 3-5k. I already have the tundra rear. New axles shafts are actually pretty cheap...

4. Jan 30, 2020 at 10:16 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    If the front is wider than the rear that is a good thing. It helps in turning while driving due to the increase in track width up front.

If the rear is wider than the front then you may experience some undesirable drivability issues.

5. Jan 30, 2020 at 10:34 PM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    I just talked to a guy that ordered a fabbed / built semi float 60 from dutchman axles for mid $2k range. I bought his 9" housing that's 68.5" wms to wms for $200 and a truss from RuffStuff for $100. Dutchman would charge less than $600 shipped to CA for axles. Brakes, a third, and an adapter flange would get you pretty close to the same.

Products Discussed in

To Top