1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front wheel issue?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hunterdusty, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Dec 9, 2014 at 1:37 PM
    hunterdusty

hunterdusty [OP] Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl TRD
    I was driving my 2007 Tacoma to work and the ABS light came on then a few miles later my truck pulled hard to the right. I drove home jacked up the front end and had a lot of play in left wheel bearing. I replaced the wheel bearing I also replaced the rotors and pads because they were due with 90K miles on them. When I went for a test drive the front wheels make a god awful grinding nose like both brakes are locked up. The ABS light is still on. I am at a loss so any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Dec 9, 2014 at 1:45 PM
    Artruck

Artruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 Super Basic
    Snug top, bed lights, under hood lights, fog lights added plus anytime mod, rear fog light, obd2 plus torque app, dodge intrepid 16 jnch steel wheels, bed mat, locking bed storage boxes, high lift mount, behind seat storage thing I made (with tubes), overload springs, 2nd air filter removed, custom bed side graphics, custom grill emblem
    Are they locking up? Is the noise constant or just when applying the brake?

3. Dec 9, 2014 at 2:10 PM
    hunterdusty

hunterdusty [OP] Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl TRD
    The noise is consistent the brake does not have to be applied

4. Dec 9, 2014 at 2:15 PM
    Artruck

Artruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 Super Basic
    Snug top, bed lights, under hood lights, fog lights added plus anytime mod, rear fog light, obd2 plus torque app, dodge intrepid 16 jnch steel wheels, bed mat, locking bed storage boxes, high lift mount, behind seat storage thing I made (with tubes), overload springs, 2nd air filter removed, custom bed side graphics, custom grill emblem
    I would jack up the offending wheel and spin it with the wheel off and look for contact points between rotor and pads, or rotor and anything else. You have the 4 piston calipers correct? Are the pins and clips in and not bent? Does the caliper and rotor look straight?

5. Dec 9, 2014 at 2:35 PM
    hunterdusty

hunterdusty [OP] Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl TRD
    Is there a way to disable the abs system to eliminate it. I can't drive the truck and have no way to check codes

6. Dec 9, 2014 at 4:10 PM
    hunterdusty

hunterdusty [OP] Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl TRD
    Jacked it up again and the passenger side wheel bearing is shot also. Thanks for help guys

7. Dec 9, 2014 at 5:44 PM
    hunterdusty

hunterdusty [OP] Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl TRD
    I bought the first hub assembly from nj636. He did a good job on it and was quick about getting it shipped to me. I didn't notice the bad bearing when I replaced the rotor because the bearing had a tight spot in it. When it was in a certain position it was tight with no play but if you spin it a little bit then there was excessive play but it didn't make a noise.

Products Discussed in

To Top