1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Frustrated with body repair timeframe

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by knayrb, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Nov 30, 2015 at 1:15 PM
    knayrb

knayrb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    So I got T-boned hard on Oct 30 which took out both passenger doors, both fenders, and a tire. It also damaged the rocker panel and B-piller. The other guys insurance is paying for the repair (~$6,000) and rental car. I've had the shop of my choosing do work on the truck before with excellent quality. (They also do the Ferraris, and Maseratis as recommended by the exotic dealership in town). I called the repair shop up and asked if they are close to being done since it's been a month. They told me that the doors were back orders and should be in today. I got that story 2 weeks ago. They now are claiming 2 more weeks. I have to say that they try hard not to use Chinese or junk-yard parts which I appreciate but you would think that as many 2nd Generation 4D trucks running around, parts would be easily to come by. They can't build the rocker panel and B-piller until the doors are on to make sure it fits seals.

Is 6 weeks average for this kind of damage? I want my truck back and the Hyundai Sonata rental is getting old. (Good mileage though).

2. Nov 30, 2015 at 1:18 PM
    thewarriordinghy

thewarriordinghy General Lee's Titan

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Nissan Titan 4x4
    Temporarily Stock
    Hell better they do it right with good parts, believe me. The body shop that did my repairs fucked it all up. Bad.

3. Nov 30, 2015 at 1:25 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Sounds like a lot of damage, I'd be upset that it wasnt determined a total.
    In my experience 6-8 weeks for extensive body shop repair work is very common.

T4RFTMFW and thewarriordinghy like this.
  4. Dec 1, 2015 at 6:45 AM
    tgear.shead

tgear.shead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Keep the pressure on them, but let them do it right. If the parts are backordered, the parts are backordered.

5. Dec 1, 2015 at 7:03 AM
    Bluegrass Taco

Bluegrass Taco Politically incorrect low tech redneck

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Mt Washington Ky
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB, TRD OR, 5100's, 885's 285/75r16 Cooper STT PROs.
    A few weeks back, I had a chance to buy a wrecked 2013 4-Runner that had estimated damage of around $5000. I could have bought it cheap. 2 of my best friends own body shops. I called 'em about squeezing the 4runner in for a quick fix. I was told that it would be 4 to 6 weeks before they could even START on it, and probably 4-5 MORE weeks before I'd get it back. By the time I made up my mind what I wanted to do, it sold....

6. Dec 1, 2015 at 7:08 AM
    LTZBURNER1296

LTZBURNER1296 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle:
    2014 Blue Ribbon DCLB
    I am a estimator at a body shop. Be patient good repairs take time don't rush em or YOU wont be satisfied with the outcome trust me. If the story with the doors being back ordered is true, they are completely correct you do not want them doing any repairs to a b-pillar without new doors to hang on the truck. If you know they do good work then just be patient and enjoy knowing its in good hands. Sounds like they just need to work on their communication is all.

7. Dec 1, 2015 at 8:34 AM
    knayrb

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    You're right. That's why I chose these guys over the insurance company's shop. They've been in business for 40 years and have a good reputation. I just miss having a truck during this time of year. I have projects I wanted to do and trailers to tow around. I'm just more pissed at the guy that hit me. I remember thinking 5 seconds after I got hit that I'm going to start hurting in 3 seconds and that I won't have a truck for a month. Fortunately, I wasn't injured in the least.

Also, there was a lot of damage but I am OCD on taking care of it. It's worth more to me than what I would get a check for. I wanted it fixed instead of totaled because I'm not ready for a 3rd generation yet. I like to wait a few years to allow Toyota to work the bugs out and tune up the first year model. I will get one but wanted to wait 3 more years.

Thanks for the confidence from someone in the business. Maybe I'll get a repaired truck for Christmas this year.

8. Dec 21, 2015 at 12:52 PM
    knayrb

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    Well we are in week 7. I was suppose to get it today and got a call that when they took it for a test drive there was a funny sound in back. It was towed to the mechanic shop for an alignment and they found that "a pin on the leaf spring was sheared off". This wasn't expected since there was no damage to the rim, just the tire. The also said the axle was bent. I'm suppose to get a new leaf spring (which is complicated since I have the 4 spring TSB done and waiting for the recall supply). The estimator is being called again for a cost adjustment. I sure hope this rig doesn't squeak, leak, rattle, wear out tires, or crab-walk down the road. I want to wait a couple of years before getting a new one. I'm mentally preparing myself for problems when I get it back. Damaged cars are never the same.

9. Dec 21, 2015 at 12:59 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long wait times are the norm for high end auto body shops (which you chose).

My father, for whatever reason, always uses a local chain who is highly rated for some unknown, crazy fucked up reason.

Usually comes back in a week, but the job is a mess and poorly done.

thewarriordinghy likes this.
  10. Dec 21, 2015 at 1:44 PM
    thewarriordinghy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Nissan Titan 4x4
    Temporarily Stock
    Yeah maaco and Abra are ass and should close their doors for lack of any quality workmanship..

11. Dec 21, 2015 at 1:48 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    I wouldn't necessarily disagree or agree with that, those places are great for people who need paint jobs and can't afford higher quality work and can't do it themselves.

Always has to be a cheaper option.

12. Dec 21, 2015 at 2:13 PM
    nextfriday

nextfriday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 Double Cab
    5100s@2.5", 2" aal Leer 100 XR w/ Yakima rails and towers 18x9 Pro Comp Rockwells Cooper Discoverer AT3 275 65 18
    I once had a damaged front end on a Dakota from a deer impact. After the repair I found out the hood was replaced with a fiberglass copy (oem was sheet metal) and the clutch fan was a replacement for a Chevy, but it fit, so they threw it in anyway. There are so many joker body shops out there ripping insurance companies off it's crazy.

thewarriordinghy likes this.
  13. Dec 21, 2015 at 2:52 PM
    thewarriordinghy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Nissan Titan 4x4
    Temporarily Stock
    Yeah.... It sucks they do that. It's a shame no one hardly does quality work

14. Jan 8, 2016 at 11:16 AM
    knayrb

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    Update:

I got my truck back from the body shop after 8 weeks. There is a saying that goes "The pain of poor quality lasts long after the joy of a cheap price". I think that can be modified to say "The pain of poor quality last long after the joy of quick turn-around". I have to say this place did a fantastic job on the repair. I needed just one little door adjustment to fix some wind noise at 70mph and now it's as good as before. The rig looks perfect, rides straight and true, and has zero rattles or squeaks. The first estimate by the insurance was about $6,000. At first there was no sign of anything but body damage and a ripped tire. After the body work was done they test drove it and it was making a knocking sound. They had taken to a mechanic that went over the suspension carefully. He found that a leaf spring pin was sheared off. After closer examination he determined that the axle was slightly bent. The insurance examiner was called back and I got a new axle housing. The total cost came to $11,587. They probably would have totaled it if they knew about the axle and spring beforehand. I'm glad my repair shop went to battle and got good parts. I'm happy plus I got my oil changed in the rear diff which I was about to do anyway.

shakerhood likes this.
  15. Jan 8, 2016 at 11:19 AM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Glad all is well, once again.

16. Jan 20, 2016 at 6:21 PM
    LTZBURNER1296

LTZBURNER1296 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Vehicle:
    2014 Blue Ribbon DCLB
    Next question is did you file for diminished value?

17. Jan 20, 2016 at 6:44 PM
    TX444

TX444 Did you tell them they were the Lord's chips!

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    victoria,texas
    Vehicle:
    Silver '11 DCSB 2wd Pre Runner
    Well I'm glad that you are happy with the repairs to your truck! Bodyshops try their best to fix vehicles and get them back to the customer. They don't make money on repairs by holding on to them more than they need to.

18. Jan 23, 2016 at 12:38 PM
    knayrb

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    Before and after

IMG_2265.jpg