1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuel Filter Replacement - EASY FIX -

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Cire, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Sep 14, 2011 at 11:29 AM
    Cire

Cire [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Regular Cab
    Stock
    Howdy All,

I read through most of the threads regarding the fuel filter change on 1998 - 2004 Tacoma trucks and how tough they are to do when the filter is located under the intake manifold. Getting mine off was easy and only took a few minutes to do. Getting it back was the hard part. That bottom bolt is the toughy as it is at a wierd angle AND there is another plubming tube that runs right in front of it. Totally a trick spot. So realizing the challenges I decided to make it a little easier on myself. I cut the end off the mounting plate (pictures below). This allowed me to thread the bolt while the fuel filter was out and MUCH MUCH easier than trying to tackle it while it was in the car. Then its just a matter of sliding in the fuel filter, putting in the top bolt and then locking them down. It cant go anywhere as the top bolt holds it full in place and the bottom one supports it and locks it in. I think with this cut method a person could get one of these done in less than 45 minutes. I did it in about an hour through the wheel well (took off the tire and the little rubber cover flappy thing) area and that included time fussing with trying to get it installed without cutting the holder.

= ) Just thought I would share. If you use it great and if not, totally cool too. I am sure there are some folks that will say this is a travisty for cutting a Toyota part in such a manner, but it sure made it easier and didnt compromise the integrity of the mounting bracket or filter.

IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0768.jpg

2. Sep 14, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    I did the same thing on my 99 about 4 months ago :spy:

Dont share this info for free!
    :stirthepot:

3. Jul 10, 2015 at 6:05 PM
    james14408

james14408 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    james
    Every link that I could find said the fuel filter for the 2004 Tacoma was on the outside of the vehicle and under the driver's door. Well, I looked under the vehicle a couple of times and couldn't find it. I finally started looking and found what I thought was the fuel filter under the intake manifold and in a terrible position for service. I was in such doubt after looking at my two volumes of the Toyota Tacoma maintenance manual and looking online for about 2 hours on youtube and doing general online searches that I was going to call the dealer. Thanks so much for confirming that the in some Tacoma models, they do have the filter under the intake manifold.

4. Jul 10, 2015 at 6:08 PM
    TashcomerTexas

TashcomerTexas My truck is a whiner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DC King Ranch Edition
    V6s are under the door, i4s are by intake manifold.

5. Aug 25, 2015 at 1:43 PM
    Sicyota04

Sicyota04 Slowly but surely.

Member:
    First Name:
    Morgan
    California
    Vehicle:
    04 DC 4x4
    Yep I changed my fuel filter on my V6 and it is under the door on the inside of the frame rail. It was so easy! Except for the gas coming out of the filter looked like rusty water. Looked like the original Denso filter. I bought the truck with 180k and changed it as soon as I bought it. Good thing

Products Discussed in

To Top