1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuel leaks everywhere

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by rikki, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Nov 18, 2017 at 8:14 AM
    OnHartung'sRoad

OnHartung'sRoad -So glad I didn't take the other...

Member:
    Somewhere in the Mojave Desert...
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma OR 4x4 (formerly 2002 OR 4x4, 1995 4x4 4Runner, 1985 4x4 Toy PU) ... and RIP’s (rust in pieces) to a Bronco II 4x4 & S10 Blazer 4x4
    They drilled two holes in my cheap plastic locking cap and when they still couldn’t unlock it, they went for the tank. Stupid thing is, they only drilled the tank half way up the side (as far as the Gen 1 tank armor went) and I was less than a quarter full! :(

In order to hopefully thwart that type of damage again, I will not put on a locking gas cap. I know, it won’t stop sugar bombers and stuff like that, but I think there’s a higher chance of getting drilled.

But maybe tanks won’t get drilled now because of the vastly superior fender covers Toyota is putting in around the wheel wells on our Gen 3’s, letting people access the fuel lines like what happened to OP. I guess a drilled tank would have cost double what it cost him to fix the fuel line.

I was able to fix my metal tank with a epoxy metal tank repair glue, but the Gen 3 tanks are plastic like everything else in the truck, and since it flexes so much, I’m not too sure about do it yourself repairs if it gets punctured. It will probably need replacement, even for a small drill hole.

Products Discussed in

To Top