1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

fuel pressure help!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by richardbt12, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Jan 14, 2012 at 8:21 PM
    richardbt12

richardbt12 [OP] New Member

Member:
    G'day from Australia everyone,

I've got a 2005 GGN25R toyota hilux, which is nearly identical to the current tacoma's as far as mechanical components are concerned. The fpr/fuel pump assemblies are the same part number, but the hilux has an inline filter in the engine bay, tacomas do not.

I've been having problems with my fuel system over the past 6 months.

It started hesitating until above 2000rpm in every gear, to counter this I installed a URD fuel pump upgrade kit. Problem gone.

Then, the pump would start making a loud whining noise if the car idled for more than a minute, I thought the pressure must be getting to high at the fuel rail and with the regulator not returning fuel to relieve the pressure, the pump would be working against the pressure in the system.

To counter this I installed an adjustable fuel pressure regulator from the back of the fuel rail. I set it to around 38psi, and the pump stopped making noise.

Since then I have noticed that the fuel consumption is up around 15-20%, and am unsure why.

I am thinking about returning all the components (fuel pump assembly/fpr) to stock, my question is, does anyone know the lph rating for the stock tacoma fuel pumps?

Can anyone advise me on other possible problems/solutions to the fixes I've been making?

Any hep would be greatly appreciated!

2. Jan 14, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    tacobo670

tacobo670 if you have to ask, u can't afford it

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Sport 4x4 AC 6spd
    Super cherry n some champion stuff on the side
    g'day to u too sir.
    so, could the filter be clogging up? is there a pinched/kinked line somewhere? maybe bad vacuum from fpr? maybe fpr itself is bad? just guesses. also u might wanna check the relays. ive seen them go bad (but very rare times) where relays were bad n it would starve engine for fuel unless accelerating/higher than idle rpm's.

3. Jan 14, 2012 at 8:50 PM
    richardbt12

Member:
    Cheers tacobo670,

I've tried 2 filters, checked and flushed all the lines, and replaced a few feet of bad line, replaced the fuel circuit relay as well. I'm really running out of ideas though, a lot of hours work, but at least I'm not paying toyota!

4. Jan 14, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    tacobo670

tacobo670 if you have to ask, u can't afford it

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Sport 4x4 AC 6spd
    Super cherry n some champion stuff on the side
    seeing as how its going, u may have to pay them to get it checked out. could the idle air control valve/throttle up be dirty? or MAF?

5. Jan 14, 2012 at 8:52 PM
    singlefin

singlefin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hood River, OR
    Vehicle:
    Syncro
    I've had a Walbro fuel pumps on 2 different cars (STi and Evo) both of them whined, its pretty common and not really a problem...whinebros. I'd call URD and ask if there is a specific pressure your regulator should be at or just remove it. Not sure on oem pump lph, sorry.

6. Jan 14, 2012 at 9:03 PM
    richardbt12

Member:
    I dare say they would be. I'll head out and give them a clean up.

7. Jan 14, 2012 at 11:17 PM
    richardbt12

Member:
    just cleaned the throttle body out, it wasn't too bad.

8. Jan 15, 2012 at 12:50 AM
    singlefin

singlefin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hood River, OR
    Vehicle:
    Syncro
  9. Jan 15, 2012 at 5:29 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    If you are running 38 PSI I'll assume it's fuel injected. The regulator is part of the system it is factory set to return any fuel to the tank above the set pressure. Now if there is a restriction in the return line (smashed line? or even a faulty regulator) the pressure will increase. The fuel mix relies on an accurate set pressure so if the pressure is beyond the factory set it will run rich ie. will use more fuel. I don't know the volume but any high pressure pump will deliver more fuel then is needed and a good part of it is returned to the tank. I'm not sure your's has a vacuum opperated pressure boast for high demand some do but that can also be suspect.

Products Discussed in

To Top