1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuel pump, Cat, O2?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Micherie, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Aug 1, 2009 at 9:29 AM
    Micherie

Micherie [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Eugene, Or
    Vehicle:
    Taco Negro
    Hi all... been a while since I've been on. Hope everyone is well and happy :)

Got a '95 2WD 280K miles. I know what this thing needs... I just want some opinions on what to fix first.

Cold engine = intermittent hesitation until warmed up. (O2 bad reading at AZ, check engine light stays on)

Long drives = wont start again until for 20-30 minutes. However, yesterday got gas at 5000' elevation and the 'cold' gas cooled the pump FAST and it started right back up.

Noisy cat @ high RPM

So... I know I need a new cat, a new fuel pump, and probably a new O2 sensor since the computer threw that code. What do you suggest I fix first and maybe I don't need all three??? Kinda short on cash.

2. Aug 1, 2009 at 9:48 AM
    XBrown

XBrown Spartacus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Xavier
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma SR5
    I would go with a new pump first, as that might solve the cold hesitation. The computer doesn't look at the O2 sensors when it's cold, so I doubt that would cause any cold start problems.

If the O2 still doesn't work when it's warmed up, then I'd replace that, and fix the cat last.

Hope this helps.

Products Discussed in

To Top