1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuel pump pressure question

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by andyJ, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Nov 11, 2009 at 2:39 PM
    andyJ

andyJ [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    Wheels lift CAI
    Had a little problem with my '05 Tacoma V6. Someone put some sugar and water in my gas tank.
    I have removed the tank and flushed it. Although a number of myth buster type sites on the internet say that sugar does not dissolve in gasoline, it sure makes it sticky. A light solution of Simple Green and then water seems to dissolve the sugar and remove the stickiness.
    I disassembled the fuel pump and flushed everything first with water and then gasoline. The motor itself, I flushed with water, air dried it and then pumped gas through it with a hand pump.
    The motor ran fine on 12 V for 10 second periods as I read you are not to run it longer than that out of the tank and truck.
    I reassembled the pump and immersed it in a few inches of gasoline. The pump is pumping when connected to 12 V for short periods.

Finally a question. How much pressure and volume should I expect to get when testing it in this fashion? The gas only rises about a half inch above the outlet on the top of the pump. I expected much more even though I only run it for ten seconds at a time.

Thanks Andy

Products Discussed in

To Top