1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuelpax/Rotopax custom mount install

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by SilverbackOffroadRecovery, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Jan 14, 2022 at 11:47 AM
    SilverbackOffroadRecovery

SilverbackOffroadRecovery [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD off-road
    SmartCap bed replacement (coming soon)
    About 2 months ago I was prepping for a multi-state trip and was trying to figure out how to mount some aux. fuel cans so as to have some longer range/plan B in case of no fuel availability. I used to have the Fuelpax 3.5 gal cans on the Prinsu cab rack, but during prolonged exposure to the sun they would bloat like week old road kill and occasionally blow the cap seal and leak. So I started to brainstorm and came up with the following solution which has proved to be 100% solid bouncing off mild rocks and hitting trails at 30-50 mph. This also helps deter against easy theft and helps as a barrier for the dogs when the windows are open (removed the screen for access from the sides). All in all this cost me about $120 in aluminum and hardware. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg I’m wondering why no company has thought of this, and if there is any kind of market for a kit like this. Seeing as how these trucks are small every inch of space needs to be considered as some sort of storage solution. If I doubled the cross brace on the top some sort of bungee net could also be attached to provided some stow away space. The building was pretty straight forward, it’s all based off the size of the Pax tank you decide to use.

TacoTrigger16 and vivid02 like this.
  2. Jan 14, 2022 at 12:14 PM
    vivid02

vivid02 Buy a Tesla…..I need the gas.

Member:
    First Name:
    Edwin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4 DCSB
    OEM+
    That looks like simple clean setup.
    :thumbsup:

3. Jan 14, 2022 at 12:31 PM
    snickers

snickers My heaping pile of shit

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD 4x4 DCSB OR Cement
    Thanks for sharing. I assume the can was full in your testing? Also, the can mounts are tied into your topper track mounts. Do you have a fortified topper for when you want to place something heavy on your prinsu?

4. Jan 14, 2022 at 1:10 PM
    SilverbackOffroadRecovery

SilverbackOffroadRecovery [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luis
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD off-road
    SmartCap bed replacement (coming soon)
    Both cans are always full, and the top braces are not tied into the track mounts, the topper is double walled so it is strong enough to hold my rtt with accessories in it and also hold the Pax mounts. The horizontal bar ties both sides in and helps relieve any pressure on the roof. At the time nobody had the tracks available so I had to mount the Prinsu directly to the shell with an aluminum strap on each side under the mounting tabs for reinforcement. It’s solid and totally leakproof.

snickers[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Aug 2, 2023 at 5:24 PM
    TacoTuesday1

TacoTuesday1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Anyone else done this

I plan to put mesh cage along inside with retainers in the window screws but this looks stronger

6. Aug 3, 2023 at 7:30 AM
    Off Topic Guy

Off Topic Guy 2023 Trophy Points - Runner Up

Member:
    Completely side question - is your topper bolted straight through your bedrails?

Products Discussed in

To Top