1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Functional Hood Scoop (RKS Sport Hood Scoop) for Engine Cooling

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by zscott, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Dec 14, 2017 at 3:06 PM
    zscott

zscott [OP] Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    I searched on the forum and found a few threads regarding the RKS Hood as well as a few others. Most of the threads however ended up locked or died off without much information. They also debated mostly about the functionality of the hood scoop as a ram air intake.

I don't need it for this function but what I am interested in is whether or not having an open hoop scoop and the air flow into the engine bay would help with engine temps. With a supercharger, big tires, lots of heavy armor, and the occasional towing of a trailer, managing engine temps is something I try to stay on top of.

Based on what I have seen the airflow patterns on the tacoma actually don't put a ton of air into the scoop but I figured I would throw out the question to anyone who has the hood and whether or not they have noticed a difference in temps.

ChadsPride likes this.
  2. Dec 15, 2017 at 3:50 PM
    inwood customs

inwood customs Roaming potato

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    K&n, flowmaster, plastidip, chipped, hids, daves

Yeah, the whole inlet part is beaten to death..... we get that.

But i have been curious for a long while now about if it would help get some heat out. Was too scared to ask, as all skewp threads seem to clusterfuck themselves as you also noticed.

Then again, ya ever seen the decklid kicked out on an old beetle?
    Would that idea work? Raise the back of the hood mounting point

ChadsPride likes this.
  3. Dec 15, 2017 at 8:42 PM
    Murphinator

Murphinator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB 4x4
    One late night browsing xr underground I found a build thread where the guy opened up the factory trd sport hood. He said it made a difference on his supercharger temps but I don’t know how scientific that testing was. I’ve been contemplating doing that myself, I figure it couldn’t really hurt.

ChadsPride likes this.
  4. Dec 15, 2017 at 8:47 PM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    On my 3rd gen t4r I cut open the back of the sport hood scoop and installed a cut section of the K&N oiled airfilter that was in the truck when I bough it to help a little with mud and water.

I saw intake temps go down about 8deg and when stopped or in slow moving traffic I could see the mirage generated by all the heat pouring out of the newly opened engine vent.

So in short, heat rises and air flow will find the path of least resistance, yes it will help with temps quite a bit! :thumbsup:

Camel51, ChadsPride and Murphinator like this.
  5. Dec 15, 2017 at 9:22 PM
    zscott

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    I like to hear this. My general thought was it probably wouldn’t make a huge difference but would maybe help a little and that is good enough for me.

ChadsPride and Murphinator like this.
  6. Dec 15, 2017 at 11:10 PM
    inwood customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    Who was it?
    Im pretty sure coupe has readings on his coolant before and after the heat exchanger, but i dont recall seeing a post charge temp gauge in the last few years from a tacoma owner.

Unless it was coupe and i have my info wrong?

ChadsPride likes this.
  7. Dec 15, 2017 at 11:15 PM
    TireFire

TireFire Superunknown Member

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    Will probably help some with low speed stuff. Same reason they sell louvered hoods for jeeps.
    But due to the design of the front and grille it won't actually scoop up much airflow when you're cruising

ChadsPride likes this.
  8. Dec 15, 2017 at 11:25 PM
    inwood customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    Right, its a negative pressure area yes?

Would this mean that air flowing across it may help "pull" some hot air out as its already rising in the engine bay? Am i thinking correctly? (Set a straw in a glass of water, hold straw, blow across the straw.... water rises up straw).

Or is it a null, and totally void of ANY effect of air across it?

Having the grille and lower bumper getting bombarded by fresh cool air at say 35+mph maybe aid in pushing this engine bay heat up and out?

ChadsPride likes this.
  9. Dec 15, 2017 at 11:27 PM
    TireFire

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    Venturi effect? I don't know, that works better at 90 degrees

ChadsPride likes this.
  10. Dec 15, 2017 at 11:28 PM
    inwood customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    Edited my post a little above.

ChadsPride likes this.
  11. Dec 15, 2017 at 11:31 PM
    TireFire

Member:
    Olympic Peninsula
    Sure it will help some! It will also let some more water and dirt in. Objectively I doubt it's worth it unless you already got a hood and live in a dry climate but even then probably not a dramatic effect

ChadsPride likes this.
  12. Dec 15, 2017 at 11:44 PM
    inwood customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    Maybe most important....

Does ANYONE have OBJECTIVE information on this being a negative pressure area or ANY objective proof of the airflow characteristics on a 2nd gen tacoma WITH and WITHOUT the scoop removed?

Would a blocked (stock,oem, tested as produced) scoop not CREATE a neg pressure area since its deflecting air with a small wall of sorts?

Its an old truck, i havent done much research, i dont really plan on doing a ton of legwork as i dont think i have a heatsoak issue on the regular.

I mean, wouldnt a person have to rent a tunnel and smoke their truck with an opened and closed scoop to prove the pressure areas? It wouldnt be stock anymore, so could the outcome change from any "testing" toyota did in a tunnel themselves?

I dont recall anyone ever posting results of said testing... id rlly enjoy seeing this done. So far its been said over and over its not gunna function, but i recall no proof as of yet.

Why would dirt get in?
    Its a negative pressure area right?

Not arguing.... just thinking out loud and may regret it later when proof shows up that ive just slept through for the past 10yrs.... my shoe may not taste good, but for now i guessnill risk it :crapstorm:

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    ChadsPride likes this.
  13. Dec 15, 2017 at 11:49 PM
    inwood customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    Supposedly a closed tailgate has wind hit it at speed, initially swirls back.... this creates a cushion where the majority of following air flows right over smoothly.

Air hits wall... swirls...creates cushion effect (is this slipstream?)... letting following air flow right over this "wall" smoothly.

Replace "wall" and "tailgate" with "blocked scoop" to get a picture of what my tired old brain is trying to finger out

ChadsPride likes this.
  14. Dec 15, 2017 at 11:51 PM
    inwood customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    Or 1 could go topless like @Torspd i suppose

ChadsPride likes this.
  15. Dec 16, 2017 at 3:07 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    There are tests on XRU.

ChadsPride and inwood customs like this.
  16. Dec 16, 2017 at 3:11 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    My turbo makes the engine bay very hot. The scoop is open on my hood, as well as I cut two reliefs in the back of the hood, near the windshield cowl. Underside. Every little bit helps to evacuate the heat.

17. Dec 16, 2017 at 8:21 AM
    Murphinator

Murphinator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    14 DCSB 4x4
    His license plate says xmplry and I know his name is Brian. I don’t think he tested it that scientificly I believe he said that the blower felt colder to the touch after using the truck. Could be wrong though, I can’t quite remember.
    I do know shortly after he put some spacers where the hood mounts so that the hood is raised up in the back to aid in hot air coming out.

ChadsPride likes this.
  18. Dec 16, 2017 at 8:26 AM
    ChadsPride

ChadsPride Tacoma Owner & Enthusiast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sponsored by TacomaWorld.com
    While I can't comment on engine temps...

I've seen this hood installed on a 13 Tacoma in person and the fit was spot on.

Looked really nice ​

Wakecoach, FastEddy59 and Murphinator like this.
  19. Dec 16, 2017 at 8:53 AM
    zscott

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB Off-Road 4x4
    The rks hood is pretty pricey for minimal gains but I see sport hoods unpainted on the local classifieds pretty frequently. I could pick one up and open it up to the engine bay for pretty cheap and since my truck is vinyl wrapped and i have extra vinyl it would be a fairly inexpensive mod overall. If I do end up doing it I imagine I could do a somewhat scientific test with a wind gauge in the scoop to see how much air goes through there

ChadsPride and Murphinator like this.
  20. Dec 16, 2017 at 2:21 PM
    ChadsPride

ChadsPride Tacoma Owner & Enthusiast

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Sponsored by TacomaWorld.com
    This is actually the guy I met, his picture is on the website

20171216_161801.jpg

At the meet

20171112_084825.jpg

He's a member on here but I don't know the screen name.

I'd say just go for it. Get the new hood and have a matte black vinyl job done on it from the start.

Would look sweet ​

FastEddy59 and inwood customs like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top