1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fuse Fix For Diff Lock

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by echo7, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Dec 19, 2011 at 1:49 PM
    echo7

echo7 [OP] Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner V6 TRD 2wd
    K&N Cold Air, Cat Back Dual
    Hey guys I have been searching for months on why my diff Lock quit working. The switch wouldn't illuminate, the light wouldn't come on, NOTHING!! I finally had it checked out while I was having my Nitto's put on, and guess what? Just a fuse. Like a dummy, I had moved a fuse 6 months back b/c I had another blow and needed a quick fix. Well, the one I pulled was the one labeled "4x4" under the dash. I figured that since my truck was 2wd, what would I need that for? Well for those of you that don't know, that also powers the Diff Lock.[​IMG] Sweet. Back in business. Just though It might be a useful piece of info for the 2wd guys.

Also, I found out that if you pull the dome light fuse, the electric locks won't work without the key in the on position. Weird........

Camel51 likes this.
  2. Feb 28, 2013 at 3:07 PM
    Aspen

Aspen Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma, Double Cab, TRD Offroad, 2wd
    Fog light mod
    After few days and hours of troubleshooting and over 10hours of search on the internet and on this forum...

same thing just happens to me.

Totally forgot that I remove that fuse to use it on something else. Think it was on the trailer braking fuse.

Thanks to you, I found out what it was.

3. Feb 13, 2020 at 2:29 PM
    Okiyota

Okiyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Breckenridge, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 Dbl Cab
    2.5" Icon ext travel coilovers, Icon uniball UCA's, OME Dakar's, Icon 2" rear shocks, 285/70/17 Maxxis RZR MT's, 17" SCS Copper Ray 10's, Shrockworks front bumper, CBI rear high clearance bumper, Bash Fab sliders, Shrockworks full skid plate set, rear frame plated, All Pro u-bolt flip kit, Wheeler's Super Bumps, VisionX LED's...
    Thread from the dead but...I just had to replace the same fuse. Not sure why it popped but I’m in a 2001 4wd and use the 4wd every single day from Nov-Mar to get to my house and use the locker pretty regularly too.

Couple days ago I was in 4wd, turned the locker on to get out of my driveway (30” of fresh snow overnight and had to leave before plowing) it worked fine, got down to the road, turned it off and went to town (in 4wd the whole time). Went to use the locker again later that day and the light on the dash wouldn’t light up.

Turned out, the locker never disengaged (grey wire mod so it can work in 2wd, 4hi, etc) when I “turned it off” earlier even though the light went out. So the light was off but the locker was stuck on. While messing with it trying to figure out what was going on I put my truck back in 2wd and the 4wd indicator on the dash wouldn’t turn off, even though it was in 2wd.

So, locker stuck on but no indicator on the dash and 4wd indicator wouldn’t turn off even though I could still go in and out of 4wd without issue.

Opened the fuse panel under the dash today and the 20amp 4x4 fuse was blown. Put a new one in and everything is functioning as intended now.

Products Discussed in

To Top