1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"G" key replacement, programming / key fob...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by IronPeak, May 4, 2016.

1. May 7, 2016 at 11:11 PM
    IronPeak

IronPeak [OP] PermaLurker

Member:
    First Name:
    AuggieX
    Back to Back
    Vehicle:
    2007 sr5 4x4 DCLB/2015 TRD sport 4x4 DCLB sold
    Bigger Taller Slower
    Thx for the video I got the keys from Amazon they are Toyota OEM, guess I'll find out about the key fobs they are the GQ43VT20T ones

2. May 8, 2016 at 6:34 AM
    terps2005

terps2005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern MD
    Vehicle:
    17 Super White DCLB Sport
    TRD Pro Grill w/white letters Inno roof rack Body Armor Hiline Bumper TRD Pro Skid plate Full meso interior chrome delete Bronze AGP T4R replica wheels Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires Homelink Mirror Pioneer DMH-WC6600NEX head unit with Maestro integration A shit ton of crumbs and dirt in the back from my 2 little monsters
    Not sure if they changed it in the newer trucks but the valet key is grey and the master keys are black...

3. Jun 6, 2016 at 1:34 PM
    CO MTN Steve

CO MTN Steve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    RaMbLiN' CoLoRaDo
    Vehicle:
    2015 Taco DCSB Blue
    Lifted, Armored, needs more lights.
    subbed, I need another set too.

4. Jul 3, 2016 at 7:22 AM
    Burritoma

Burritoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    2019 Quicksand SR5 V6 DCSB
    I lost my keys (not really lost, I know the exact spot off the dock where they went down into the deep water) which included my second set of keys for my '15 Tacoma. I still have a set, so no rush and I have a master. I don't have a computer with a disk drive and an old version of windows, so I ordered the VSTM Key programmer, keylessoption remote, and OEM G key from Amazon, and I will give it a shot. If it works, I will report back. If not I will try the techstream option, and either borrow a laptop or figure out how to "partition and create a virtual machine running XP activate skynet."

CO MTN Steve likes this.
  5. Jul 3, 2016 at 9:12 PM
    davideos

davideos Member

Member:
    So Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB TRD Sport
    I finally got a replacement set of keys for my 2015 DCLB. Everything worked out pretty great. Total cost was about $60. Thanks to everyone on this site who provided information that helped me figure this out. Here's how I pulled it together:

1) Using the FCC ID on the back of the FOB, I purchased a used one on e-bay for $20. Although used, it looked brand new and had the OEM circuit board and the OEM case...not a scratch could be found. If looking on e-bay, take caution. There are many look alikes. Reviews are mixed. The best I could tell is that the range of the knock-offs could be slightly limited. In addition, some people reported that they didn't last very long before they died. Another thing to watch out for are FOBs advertised as new. But they could be used circuit boards with new skins. At first glance, this might seem ok; however, some reported that the non-OEM skins break easy. I spent a bit more on my used FOB for its condition. Used FOBs on e-bay don't usually show the item you are bidding on and indicate that there is significant wear. Probably ok since your lost FOB might also be significantly worn.

2) The key. Knock-offs exist for these as well, but Amazon had one for only $16, so why mess with imitation keys. I'm pretty sure a 'G' for a 'G' and a 'dot' for a 'dot' is all you need; however, I found a few numbers listed for the 'G' key I needed. The key I received was still in the plastic Toyota packaging and was a little bit longer than the original...maybe half a mm.

Cutting the key:
    I took the key to my local Ace HW store. Ultimately it was free, but not without a hassle. After I explained that I just wanted the key cut and I would pay for a "door only blank", they just wanted to look up the key in their system and cut a clone key for me for $75. Fortunately, they were out of stock of the clone keys. Then they agreed to cut mine but they would accept no liability for messing up the key. I insisted on paying for a "door only" key to test first and then have them cut my key at the "door only" price; but in the end, they cut my key at no cost...and fortunately, it worked. Thanks Ace.

Programming:
    1) The FOB programming sequence I found online actually erases all FOBs and then adds them. I don't know if there is a modified procedure for just adding a FOB, but it wasn't too much trouble to add both keys; however, had I known, I would have programmed both keys the first time around.

2) The key was more involved to program but nonetheless easy. The software and cable can be found on Amazon and E-bay; however, the reviews are very mixed. Ultimately, I went with the 32 bit windows XP version sold on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W97K7O6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Fortunately for me, I keep an old XP laptop around for situations such as this. It should work with Windows 7 as well, but it has to be a 32bit install. The same HW can be used for a 64 bit machine, but the install SW will not do this for you. You have to get into the system registry and make tweaks and do other things to the install. You can also buy 64 bit versions, but it is quite a bit more money. I bought the version I did because it had relatively positive reviews.

Anyway, the key combination works great and you can tell the difference between the original and the copy except, as I mentioned, the copy is just a tad longer than the original.

Norton likes this.
  6. Jul 11, 2016 at 10:06 AM
    Burritoma

Member:
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    Minor update:
    Got the G key and Keylessoption remote. They look fine.
    Took Key to ACE hardware, they cut it for a few bucks. It locks and unlocks the door, so I think it will work if I get it programmed.
    The VTSM programmer is on the slow boat, estimated delivery another 2-3 weeks.

7. Jul 11, 2016 at 10:15 AM
    stump jumper

stump jumper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra 4x4 CM TSS
    I had the dealer cut and program a 3rd key when I bought my 2013. I got use to having 3 keys when I Had the 2009. I leave the 3rd key in my carry bag that I take hunting or camping. So I know for a fact that you can have more than 2 on a 2013.

8. Jul 11, 2016 at 10:44 AM
    RyanL

RyanL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Pro, supercharged, BP-51s, etc
    Here are the instructions to add a fob:

Burritoma likes this.
  9. Jul 11, 2016 at 11:12 AM
    Burritoma

Member:
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    Thanks RyanL.
    I can confirm that RyanL's method in the post above this works with a 2015 Tacoma and a Keylessoption remote. I can also confirm that it does NOT cancel out other previously working remotes. No need for a programmer or tech stream to do a remote.

The only thing left is to program the G chip and I am back in business.

10. Jul 11, 2016 at 12:02 PM
    RyanL

RyanL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    :thumbsup:

11. Jul 13, 2016 at 7:19 AM
    Burritoma

Member:
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    Bad news sports fans. I received the VSTM programmer and it did not work. I contacted the company and they were unable to offer any trouble shooting advice, but they did quickly offer to pay my shipping on a return authorization. I am not out any money on the deal, but I need to decide my next move in reference to programming the chip. Ace Hardware said "Toyota has that year locked out" so they could not program a key they sold or my key, but I may try a local locksmith before rolling the techstream dice.

12. Jul 13, 2016 at 7:45 AM
    RyanL

RyanL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    My locksmith charged $45 to program my chip. Took about 5 minutes. Worked like a charm.

13. Jul 13, 2016 at 10:24 AM
    Burritoma

Member:
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    Local locksmith said no dice. I am ordering the techstream cable.

14. Jul 13, 2016 at 6:41 PM
    Durnaia

Durnaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Crossville, TN
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport - Silver Streak Mica
    I programed an extra 2 keys and 2 fobs for my '11 last week. I had them both cut at Lowe's. The younger guy didn't know how to ring it up that he cut a customer provided key so they did it for free, your result may vary. The key just needed a few cycles in the ignition switch and it was able to turn over no probblem. I then Loaded VMware on my laptop with an XP ISO, installed XP and installed the software from the included disc. Fortunately, my Techstream cable worked and was able to connect to the truck. I didn't see many of the other options people talk about inside the Techstream software such as disabling seat belt chime and DRL disabling but all I really cared about was programming my keys. There are several tutorials on youtube but when you get the process started, just be able to be close with the new key and follow directions. I think it gave a 10 second window to get the new one in the switch.

15. Jul 13, 2016 at 7:51 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    I bought a "G" flip-key and Techstream setup. Got the key (code) cut at local dealer for free, used Techstream to program the ECU for the new "G" chip in about 10 minutes, and programmed the FOB using these instructions. (While I had Techstream connected, I also disabled the seat belt chime.)

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. Jul 14, 2016 at 3:00 AM
    BKinzey

BKinzey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beauford
    Hollywierd, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Tacoma Access Cab TRD Off Road 4x4 V6
    RCI aluminum front skid, SnugTop, Sliders, bedside supports, LED interior, CaliRaised fogs & brackets, rear diff breather mod, DIY bed platform
    I went to a independent locksmith and got a G key and programming for $90 for my 2015. Had to go to 2 locksmiths, first one couldn't do it and suggested the second guy.

17. Jul 16, 2016 at 8:10 AM
    Burritoma

Member:
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    The cable and minidisk arrived yesterday, no time to fool with them yet. had to mail the VSTM to China for the refund, that was a major headache at the post office. I had to fill out a customs form, they told me i could track it with the customs number, but when I got home the web site says no dice. I will be pleasantly surprised if it gets there and I see any of my money again.

18. Jul 17, 2016 at 5:24 AM
    Burritoma

Member:
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    Found a Windows 7 64 bit laptop. Driver won't install.

19. Jul 18, 2016 at 4:33 PM
    TacoPhil

TacoPhil Excuse me while I go out and watch the grass grow

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 TRD OR
    Just ordered one. Thanks for the info Steve!

Norton[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Jul 22, 2016 at 5:15 PM
    TacoPhil

TacoPhil Excuse me while I go out and watch the grass grow

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 TRD OR
    Did those of you who ordered the EBay flip key realize that it comes apart to act as a valet key? Just got mine and was sitting here screwing around with it. Noticed it had a wiggle to it between the key 1/2 and button 1/2. Pulled harder and it pulled apart. Awesome :kona:
    @Norton
    Has anyone tried switching out the chip from their extra fob vs. having the programming done?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016

Products Discussed in

To Top