1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

gaining muscle?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by vtragweed, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Jan 10, 2009 at 2:43 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed [OP] Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    i recently received a gym membership for christmas, but it seems like no matter how much i work out i dont get any bigger. does anyone here take any kinda supplements to get faster gains?

2. Jan 10, 2009 at 3:08 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Protein helps a lot, either before or after a workout.

3. Jan 10, 2009 at 3:20 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    So - you've only been working out for what, 2 weeks?

You expect to build bigger muscles in 2 weeks? Do you really think it's THAT easy?

Body builders & weight lifters spend tons of time - YEARS - of building their mucles and building bulk. And regular work outs to keep their muscles big. Along with proper diet too.

Do some research and find some muscle building forums - you'll probably be surprised of how much work it takes. But - anyone can do it if you put your mind to it.

4. Jan 10, 2009 at 3:23 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed [OP] Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    afe pro-dry s filter, LCE headers, painted black steelies,color matched grill surround, URD short shifter, UWS black tool box
    ive actually been at it now for almost 6 months, i can tell some. i just thought the process would be a lil faster then its going

5. Jan 10, 2009 at 3:27 PM
    mudduck

mudduck Nobody makes me bleed my own blood.

Member:
    the bluegrass state
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    black painted wheels, tinted windows, sockmonkey decals
    how much time are you spending in the gym? what kind of work outs are you doing? how often do you go? if you are going to take supplements you need to be taking 100% whey protien, creatine, glutamine, and amino acids. those are your 4 basics. diet is VERY important. what are you eating, when are you eating and how much are you eating? all of things these are vital to seeing big gains.

6. Jan 10, 2009 at 3:28 PM
    sAm I aM

sAm I aM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x2
    Flowmaster .50 ries xhaust, K&N Filter
    I'm not one of those guys that try to build big muscles but I work out on a regular basis to stay in shape. I take Halodrol and drink the premixed muscle milk protein. I work on shaping Mon, Wed, and Fri then do cardio on Tue and Thur and sometimes on the weekends with the family. I would say if you are looking just to gain bulk do the typical more weight and less reps. Find out your baseline then start there and push your limits without hurting yourself. Like I said I'm not a big guy but I like to think I'm in descent shape. Hope it helps some.

7. Jan 10, 2009 at 3:33 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    discipline and diet are the keys. dedicate yourself to the gym for 2-4 hours a day. 4-5 days a week. alternate body parts. ex: back-biceps one day, chest-triceps the next. less weight more reps tones you up. more weight and less reps builds bulk. its a lot of hard work but it has its rewards.and here is something to check out to help you out

http://www.houseofmuscle.com/spnusu.html

edit: if you want faster results try hgh or even steroids

8. Jan 10, 2009 at 3:36 PM
    09tacoLI

09tacoLI Well-Known Member

Member:
    long island ny
    Vehicle:
    09 off road
    Shrockworks sliders,Shrockworks Front bumper,Warn 9.5xp winch,Toytec Ult.3in,Total Chaos UCAs,AP expo Rear, Fox remote resi shocks Bud built skids,Piaa 7in,Piaa yellow plasma Off road lights.
    Unless you have been in the gym alot and by alot I mean over a year and on good training regiment. You are wasting money. You should be getting stronger in 6mo but serious gains take along time. Strengh gains come pretty fast and untill you get stuck at a certian wieght or reps wait for supplements. I learned this the hard way you buy everything the guy says at GNC and you still wont see gains in size unless you put the time in. Now with that said I should take my own lazy ass to the gym cuz I have a serious case of winter body.

9. Jan 10, 2009 at 3:42 PM
    TacoTycoon

TacoTycoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Hayes, VA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 4WD Indigo Ink
    Bilstein 5100 Coilovers, Diff Drop Kit, TSB AAL, 285/70/17 BFG A/T Tires, 17X8 Helo HE835 Wheels, Rear Bilstein 5100s, Dual Flowmaster 50 series, TRD CAI, TRD Front Seat Covers, Rear Suspension TSB, 35% Tint, Redline Hood Struts, MagLite Mod
    +1 to what everyone has been saying, but also remember muscle memory. Each time you work out the same muscle change your sets and reps up so your muscles don't get used to the workout. If you don't do this you will hit a very long plateau. Keep at it bud

10. Jan 10, 2009 at 3:49 PM
    buffalo tacoma

buffalo tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    lancaster ny
    Vehicle:
    07 trd dc 4x4 offroad
    flowmaster 40 delta,billy 5100's front .85, rear tsb, courser at2 tires, jl audio 10'' sub and amp, tint, tonneau cover
    ive bein going for 3 months now 4 to 5 days a week bout 2hrs a day.. 3 days of weights and 2 for cardio. Ive gained quite abit in that time, bout 6 lbs. I was doing the 100% whey protien but now on wheybolic extreme 60 protien. It says ull gain 30% in strength and size and helps muscles repair faster. U mite want to try that. It seems to be working better for me. Give it time but ull get there.

11. Jan 10, 2009 at 4:04 PM
    carolinyens

carolinyens Creedmoor Connections

Member:
    Durham, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    TRD CAI, TRD SS, Toyota All Weather Mats, Eagle Eye Halos, NST Crankshaft Pulley, ScanGauge II, TRD Shiftball, TRD SeatCovers, WeatherTech Vent Visors, 20% tint, DTLT's and NST pulley combo.
    Number One try to break up your workouts to maximize your gains. Number 2 Put a big muscle group with a smaller one Ex. Chest and Triceps. Number 3 Make sure you give the muscles 5-7 days of rest before you work that particular group out again. Number 4 You need to be at failure at 6-8 reps or 8-10 depending on what you want from your workout. Number 5 go buy Arnold Schwartzenegger's big silver book on working out.(I dont know the name just google it or Amazon it, Really good info) Number 6 Get you some good protein (Nitrotech is a good one.)That should get you on your way.

12. Jan 10, 2009 at 4:51 PM
    CheeseWithTaco

CheeseWithTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRun DubCab Lunar
    grrr...
    fudge the diet jazz. sounds like you one of those dudes who are skinny and cant gain weight. sounds like you need more calories and carbs in your diet, so your body uses that up rather than muscle tissue. you need to do a lot less reps at a almost max weight.

kinda like a long distance runner trying to bulk up like a body builder. or a body builder trying to run 20 miles.

13. Jan 10, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    What he said. You need to figure out what type of body you have (ectomorph, endomorph or mesomorph) and do a routine for that body type. Genetics is probably the biggest limiting factor to what kind of results you'll see.
    http://www.bodybuildingpro.com/bodytype.html

You should also examine your bodybuilding routine. For example, how many repetitions do you pump when doing bicep curls. If you can do 12 or more reps, you need to bump up the weight (high reps are more condusive to toning). If you can only do 6 or less, you need to reduce the weight (risk of injury). Optimal would be 8-10 reps for any given exercise with the last two being difficult.

One of the guys on the forum was heavily into bodybuilding (I think he competed). You might try pm'ing him and see if he has some helpful advice (GTiVR6r). Here's a shot from his gallery:
    [​IMG]

14. Jan 10, 2009 at 7:17 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    roids.

15. Jan 10, 2009 at 7:20 PM
    vtragweed

vtragweed [OP] Beef Slut

Member:
    First Name:
    Willie
    VA
    Vehicle:
    08 2.7 SR5 Debadged
    lol, thought of that already, no go man. i would like like the use of my boys later on, even though theyve alreay got me in trouble.

16. Jan 10, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    [​IMG]
    ^^^^don’t make me angry. You wouldn’t like me when I’m angry. ^^^^^^

17. Jan 10, 2009 at 7:23 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    i said it because i was surprised that it hadn't come up yet.

plus i dont have any knowledge on the subject.

18. Jan 11, 2009 at 2:05 AM
    CheeseWithTaco

Member:
    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRun DubCab Lunar
    grrr...
    all/most of the negative effects can be taken away with strong anti-estrogen meds. balding, man boobs, smaller pecker/package, mood swings, all of that, but i think the ache of the face and back still is a problem. basically when your body starts making more testrone (sp? wtf?) the body also makes more estrogen(sp? wtf?) which brings all the "myths" and bad effects with the juice.

PS: i hope you dont want to get that big as the dude in the pic above. unless you want to pick up chicks (more than half dont like that much muscles), or lose almost all of your stamia (if you get in a fight, you better pray you knock them out in the first 20 swings, after that, your useless), or make up for some lack size in other places.

19. Jan 11, 2009 at 2:34 AM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...
    go to GNC and buy a case of drinks called "Muscle Milk".

eat a bunch, drink a shake, and do your work out.

20. Jan 11, 2009 at 3:02 AM
    CheeseWithTaco

Member:
    Tucson, Az
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRun DubCab Lunar
    grrr...
    actually you should have some calories to burn before a workout, and then pig out after wards, thats when your muscles are like sponges.

Products Discussed in

To Top