1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gap Insurance

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Evil Monkey, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Sep 4, 2007 at 8:38 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey [OP] There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I just wanted folks to know that it's possible your primary insurance carrier has a Gap Insurance option. It might save you some money over the dealer provided insurance.

Since the first few years you typically owe more than the vehicle is worth, in an event where the vehicle is totalled or unrecoverable (theft), you may wind up owing more than the insurance payoff for your vehicle. Gap insurance is a protective product that pays off what you owe (I believe it's usually capped up to 120% of the vehicle's retail value).

I checked with Allstate and it cost me $28 for 6 months of coverage ($56/year). The typical sale's pitch is that you need it for 3 years worth of coverage until your payments bring the owed amount down to what the truck is worth. So gap through my insurance policy would cost about $168 for 3 years of coverage. Since dealers charge up front, the present value calculation at 6% would be about $141 (that is, at 6% interest, $141 would be worth $168 in three years. So $141 "now" is roughly financially equal to $56/year for 3 years). Bottom line, if the dealer charged you more than $141 for gap, it's a better buy to get it from Allstate (in my case).

2. Sep 4, 2007 at 8:46 AM
    isusww

isusww Well-Known Member

Member:
    If you need Gap Insurance, you aren't saving any money at all. I would look at getting a different vehicle so you don't become so upside down in your loan you can't get out. My opinion...

3. Sep 4, 2007 at 9:25 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    my loan amount was only 12k...14k less than i paid for everything, so i didnt have a need for gap insurance...but it wouldnt be a bad idea for others. my friends 07 dakota blew up in flames the other week w/ no symptoms of anything wrong before.....ya just never know

4. Sep 4, 2007 at 9:40 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    My GAP insurance was free through my Credit Union.

5. Sep 4, 2007 at 9:46 AM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey [OP] There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    So because of an extra $4.67/month, I should pass on my new truck? :confused:

6. Sep 4, 2007 at 9:52 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device

I see isusww's point, but at the same time I don't think this should be a deterrent to getting the new truck. GAP insurance is like any other insurance - it covers the "what if" scenario. Even if right now you could afford to "close the gap" on an insurance payoff to your loan company, you may not be able too in several years. You just never know.

I don't see the extra ~$5/month hurting you at all.

...just my opinion, and I might be wrong. ;)

7. Sep 4, 2007 at 6:51 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    GAP insurance is for leased vehicles. In the frozen North, its called waiver of depreciation. Costs you $20 per year for a maximum of two years. Its a good investment and is the only thing I'd blow $20 on if my life depended upon waiver of depreciation or Eating Steak. :hungry:

Products Discussed in

To Top