1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Garmin 3970

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bubbarr, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Dec 31, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    Bubbarr

Bubbarr [OP] Monkey Sweat

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane
    SD
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road 4X4
    DynoLock Auto tailgate lock, 16" Konig Counter steer Off roads, 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2.5 King front and rear with remote reservoir, Built Right UCA, Deaver 3 pack, SD Truck Shop Custom Sliders.
    Anyone else have one of these? I just got one for Christmas. It looks cool and so far it works good. I want to see how it does in Superstitions with the dunes and stuff. It does 3d imagery and terrain features. Anyone else have any good info on this thing?

Screen shot 2010-12-31 at 10.51.37 PM.jpg

2. Dec 31, 2010 at 9:25 PM
    RZRob

RZRob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Anaheim Hills
    Graphics look interesting. I'm a big Garmin fan and they keep getting better. I got the Nuvi 1490T last year and really like it. I also have a Zumo 450, a ForeTrex 401, and a Rino 130 (and a couple others). I love them all.

Garmin's website lets you get even more out of the GPS too. Check out this from a recent adventure of mine. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/38709266 I'm sure you can do the same with yours.

If I had any complaint, I'd say the BlueTooth can be flaky and some models are worse than others. The 1490T is the best I've owned.

RZ Rob

3. Jan 1, 2011 at 1:43 AM
    Doomsday

Doomsday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB MGM
    Lights, Tires, Wheels,...more to come!
    I don't like Garmin maps. After I did an update, about 2 weeks after buying it, I could still not find addresses that have existed 5+ years. Point of interest suck, nearby locations suck, route to destination sucks. I ended up selling it 2-3 months after, my iPhone works much better. If ever by any GPS again, its gonna have to be powered by Google Maps. Yes, Im serious. It could not even find a small town which my cousin lives.

4. Jan 1, 2011 at 8:05 AM
    RZRob

RZRob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Anaheim Hills
    I admit I don't always get the best advice from the GPS when it comes to data like you mention. You might want to bring these to their attention. I find that the case in remote locations. I also find it doesn't list restaurants I know are there. Still, I get enough benefits to make it worth having them.

RZ Rob

Products Discussed in

To Top