1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas door hing rusty?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 07SpeedwaySport, May 23, 2011.

1. Jun 19, 2011 at 7:43 AM
    BryWi

BryWi Psalm 109:8

Member:
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off-road DC SB w/JBL
    5100s, black valance
    x2.

Fluid Film is great stuff ;)

2. Jun 19, 2011 at 8:53 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    So true. I slack. :eek:
    I wonder if that is on the toyota checklist if the dealer does a O/L?F? Or other garages?
    Not that I go to the dealer for an oil change but curious.
    Maybe a poll here to see how many do that.
    Thanks for the info.

3. Jun 19, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    I go through the dealer's ExpressLube lane, and the fuel filler hinge gets greased:

[​IMG]

To replace a rusted hinge bracket on the body side, you will have to drill out two blind rivets. If no rivet gun is available, you can probably use small button-head screws to install the replacement. There's a cubbyhole in the bed that can be removed to access the back side of the fasteners. See the diff breather mod write-up.

4. Jun 19, 2011 at 2:31 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just used a little Teflon oil pen to lube my gas door hinges. There was a lot of dust and dirt in the hinge mechanism; I think I'll clean it really thoroughly next time I wash the truck, then re-oil the hinges.

I didn't see any rust, but it does open smoother.

5. Jun 19, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Glad I read this thread. For some reason I never think to lube the gas door hing - hopefully I will remember to do it when I do the doors.

6. Jun 19, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    CorrosiveTendency

CorrosiveTendency When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan S.
    Schuylkill Co, Pa
    Vehicle:
    05' DblCab SB Speedway Blue
    OME 885's, Locker Mod. Bilstein 5100's on 4 corners
    Bought my '05 used. I walked around it and wrote a few things down to fix. I had them repaint the tailgate because of the cap seal rubbing the paint, new overhead compass/temp display, and remove/paint/install new gas cover. Oh, and a new air filter.
    The gas cover was hanging by one hinge. Them: "oh, we didn't notice that" Me: "Well it has a full tank, so someone had to open it, fix it or I walk"

7. Jun 19, 2011 at 10:18 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Just checked mine today. Looks as good as the day I bought it.

Go figure.

8. Feb 1, 2014 at 6:09 PM
    JoeSchmuck

JoeSchmuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 2x4 O.R., Timberline Green
    Pop & Lock, Access LE Rollup Cover, Alpine PDX-5 Amp, Image Dynamics CS-6/CX-6 & 10" Sub
    I know this is an old thread but does anyone have a nice high resolution photo of a clean door hinge area? Mine is crap right now and I need to rebuild it. This means removing the plastic rivets which I hope I can push out from the other side, repair the damage by removing as much rust as I can and reforming the lower hinge area and lubing it up, then reinstall the old plastic rivets if they are reusable. Before I can start and do the job properly I really need a great photo to start from. I'm even thinking about taking my digital camera to the dealership to take a photo, hopefully the 2014 year has the same setup as my 2009 truck.

Appreciate this thread too!

-Joe

9. Feb 1, 2014 at 7:07 PM
    InSight Retrofits

InSight Retrofits Closed

Member:
    Forgot to hit this with fluid film.... Thanks!

10. Feb 2, 2014 at 3:24 PM
    JoeSchmuck

JoeSchmuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 2x4 O.R., Timberline Green
    Pop & Lock, Access LE Rollup Cover, Alpine PDX-5 Amp, Image Dynamics CS-6/CX-6 & 10" Sub
    I figured out that the bottom hinge piece that is not part of the door was bent. This looks to have been caused by both the rusting and the extra stress of the spring steel rod when it comes into contact with the door hinge bracket. This looks to be a poor design. I used a rotary cutting tool to remove a very small amount of metal from the door hinge where the spring steel rod comes into contact with the door hinge. I've coated everything with some rust remover and will continue until I get the hinge cleaned out a bit more at which time I will use marine grade grease to cover the upper and lower hinges. This stuff should stick very well and protect the hinges from further rust and damage. Well that is the goal.

11. Apr 6, 2014 at 5:30 AM
    topneck

topneck Part Time Bivalve Extractor

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    06 Reg Cab 4WD
    I repaired the bottom hinge using part of a hose clamp.Fuel_door.jpg

BrookTrout and killingtime55555 like this.
  12. Apr 6, 2014 at 5:56 AM
    cvisinho

cvisinho Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport DCSB new frame edition
    Bilstein 5100's, Eibach springs, Cali Raised Amber fogs,Cali Raised side projecting ditch lights, 17" gunmetal trd pro reps w/ falken wildpeaks, MESO interior lighting, Alpine ilx Android auto head unit, rear view camera, blue sea fuse panel, mbrp cat back, Morimoto retros in Depos, Ranch cap, triple black clazzios, DIY thin lip satoshi with FJ letters, oem roof rack, AJT climate knobs, slim sub behind rear seat, fosgate speakers all around, thule cap rack
    thats a great idea. ive been meaning to do something about mine.

13. Apr 6, 2014 at 12:52 PM
    AI Surf Fisher

AI Surf Fisher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD Off-road, 21 AG 4Runner Trail Edition
    Leer Cap, thule racks, 5100's, Yokahoma Geolandar 265/75/16
    Mine just broke last week. :mad: Gonna try that fix on mine. Also gonna remember to lube it from now on.

14. Apr 6, 2014 at 2:48 PM
    fixnfly

fixnfly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    S.W.PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Access cab 4.0 4WD
    A few years back I bought a new door from the dealer for about $35 and was able to bend the tabs on the hinge back far enough to remove the new door hinge and put it on the original door. A small flat screwdriver and a pair of duckbill pliers did the job. I attached it with two 1/4" bolts, washers, and nuts. I bought new rivets to look original but the stems on the rivets were huge. Could not find a puller to pull it. Make sure you get the right door. Access cab / reg cab doors are smaller than double cab doors for some reason.

BrookTrout likes this.
  15. Apr 6, 2014 at 2:54 PM
    welterbf123

welterbf123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    12voltsolutions.com plug-n-play remote start system. OVTuned OEM Bed lights Underhood and footwell lights Garmin dash-cam Weathertech side vents, bug shield, mud flaps and floor mats Extang Encore tonnau cover OME BP51 Suspension Front & Back / Dakar Leaf Springs Light Racing UCA's XD Holeshot 17" x 9" Wheels Nitto Trail Grapplers 265/70/R17 TRD Pro Grille Raptor Lights iJDMToy 30" LED Hidden Bar Light Toyota Bed Step

16. Apr 6, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    over60

over60 Over70 & still a "Grumpy Old Guy"

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Muskoka, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno (Punkin) TRD 4X4 Sport DCLB w/upgrade & tech pkg..!!
    Toyota running boards/Solid Fold 2.0/custom stickers/Anti-Dark LED light under hood/Derped grill/Scoop, etc.
    Hey guys.. In Canada we have these guys that spray our trucks with "corrosion free"... It's kinda like a grease/oil that won't run or drip.... It does stop rust in it's tracks....And stays on the frame, etc...

I've used that shit for 15 years and am totally convinced that my 2006 Taco would not be on the road right now without this shit.... (their frames are crap)...

The nice thing about his stuff is that everything gets lubed ... all brake lines, cables, etc. etc,...

Might be worth a try...??

BrookTrout likes this.
  17. Apr 6, 2014 at 11:03 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    This it ? http://www.corrosionfree.com/

This is interesting - the product may be good but seem you have to DiY or find someone NOT Canadian Tire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkTpGrTrftw

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    BrookTrout likes this.
  18. Apr 6, 2014 at 11:13 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  19. Apr 8, 2014 at 4:49 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
  20. Apr 8, 2014 at 5:17 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

Like it , seems to work well

Products Discussed in

To Top