1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas pedal recall with reflash; seems to fix shifting too

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JKD, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Aug 13, 2010 at 12:44 PM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    TOYOTA why are you so dam cheap. Just replaced them with revised one. You did that with LEXUS. Yeah lexus replace our is250 with a revised pedal.

2. Aug 13, 2010 at 1:26 PM
    DBZ

DBZ Hunter-Gatherer

Member:
    South Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC PreRunner TRD Off Road
    Fog lights anytime, DIY shorty antenna, carpet lined storage bins, debadged, tailgate hoseclamp, DIY washable cabin filter, AFe Pro-Dry air filter, Protecta bed mat
    I had my recall performed today. My gas pedal doesn't look as well cut as Lunercrab's, but it's not hacked either. It took about 45 min to an hour to have it completed. The shifting does seem to be corrected; I haven't made a turn yet that felt like it couldn't find the gear. I have new Weathertechs in my 2010 and my pedal has about 3/4" to 1" over lap on the top of the Weathertechs and it stops about a 1/2" from the floor when fully depressed. So there is no interference there. The pedal itself doesn't feel any shorter than before while driving.

Just to show you how uneducated on Toyota products, recalls, etc. that service writers are, not one of the three at the Toyota dealership I visited knew that a reprogram was involved. They all three insisted that they were only trimming the pedal. I spoke with a tech and he said the reprogram is included and it was also stated on the service receipt I received. Based on that experience, I didn't broach the subject of the leaf spring TSB while I was there. Looks like I will have to call Toyota customer care for that.

3. Aug 13, 2010 at 2:55 PM
    Rob79

Rob79 New Member

Member:
    Can you guys describe in detail this issue, I have a 06 DC 4X4 that I just bought this year, and am trying to see if I have this issue. Most people describe it as downshifting thus reving high then shifting all between 10-20mph. Can you describe the revs you are seeing and at what speeds? Trying to decide if I want this ECU flash done or not. Thanks for the insight ;)

4. Aug 13, 2010 at 4:38 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    IMO my truck drives better since having the flash done. The "downshift" while going down hill under braking is much softer and more tolerable now.

5. Aug 13, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    The issue you are referring to is prevalent in the 2009 and 2010 Tacomas. Downshifting from 2nd gear to 1st gear and then when accelerating the engine revs slightly and the shifting seems hesitant. Two technical support bulletins were issued to address these shifting problems, one for the 2009 and then one for the 2010. I'm not certain any ECM reflash will address any problems you are experience in your 2006.

6. Aug 14, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    Rob79

Rob79 New Member

Member:
    Okay, thats what I wanted to know, I have not found any issues with downshifiting and high revs, so I was wondeirng what your definition of high revs are, I am around 1000-1500 rpms between and of those lower speeds in those range. So I don't think I have the problem but just wanted more info to make sure.

7. Aug 14, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    JKD

JKD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:

In the trucks I test drove and the one I bought, it wasn't 'slightly'. When I'd slow down to turn, and then step on the gas, it would shift down to such a low gear that I had to depress the pedal quite a ways before the truck would start accelerating.

Then it would stay in first and second gears for an extended period of time, allowing the engine to rev to 4,000-5,000 rpm before shifting.

If you came to a complete stop, then took off normally, it would shift normally (2000 rpm, give or take a bit) while accelerating the same rate.

Now it seems like it shifts down to 2nd and upshifts normally (2000-2500 rpm) in the same conditions. I haven't watched enough to be very sure about the gear and rpm, but it is far smoother and the revs do not go nearly as high.

8. Aug 14, 2010 at 11:33 AM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    thats what you get for buying an automatic...bwahahahaha!

9. Aug 14, 2010 at 1:28 PM
    JKD

JKD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    And you get weird clutch noises and lower gas mileage. bwahahahahaha...

10. Aug 16, 2010 at 5:27 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Total BS.

11. Aug 19, 2010 at 10:58 AM
    newtaco2008

newtaco2008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Mill, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner indigo ink pearl
    Just got home from having the recall 90L done.
    The results:
    1. no difference in the feel of the gas pedal, they shaved a little off..

2. the reflash did smooth out the rough 1st to 2nd shift but still have the lag on certain corners and parking lot driving.

3. I took out my good mats before I went thinking I would get new ones but did not..oh well no big deal.

4. Overall, I'm glad I went just in case there was something wrong with the truck but I really doubt this was a computer related issue.

Just thought y'all would like to know......later

12. Aug 19, 2010 at 12:21 PM
    GT150

GT150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Blairsville Ga
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner V-6
    Has anybody noticed a decrease in gas milage since the computer reflash?

Mike

13. Aug 19, 2010 at 2:09 PM
    Viking88

Viking88 Devil's Advocate

Member:
    Budd Lake NJ
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD Sport DC 4X4
    they can perform the gas pedal cut without your permission while your truck is there for something else? I would have flipped out.

I secretly think there is nothing wrong with the gas pedal, do not plan to have it done - I'm afraid the pedal will feel diffrent in a negative way afterward.

14. Aug 19, 2010 at 5:27 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Had our 2009 Camry SE-V6 in the dealer for it's 30k service today and just told the service rep that I decline the recall. No problem he just made a note on the ticket.
    I'll have to do this everytime it goes in probably but it's my car and I'll decide what gets done to it.

15. Sep 23, 2010 at 10:21 PM
    milo39

milo39 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    myles
    downey,ca
    Vehicle:
    07 doublecab prerunner trd off road
    i have a question! =) soo.. i bought my 07 dcab off road prerunner used (30,000miles now bought it 6 months ago) and maybe someone can clarify some questions i have.. itd help this newb out a lot.. thanks.. i called cerritos toyota for the rear suspension tsb and the ahole (i just assume everybody that works at dealerships an ahole sorry no offense) said i wouldnt be able to do it because i would have to prove it sags with the weight. is that true what can i do or can i call toyota corp and bug them to fix it? i dont lift anything heavy but when i do id like to not worry about it.. its like saying if theres a tsb on airbags do i have to wait for them to deploy in an accident to see if they work?

and on to the recall im really interested on getting the shifting fixed because i have noticed it isnt smooth like what you guys are saying. so my appointment is set for oct 4.. i know they cut the pedal down but do they always reflash the ECU and the tranny or is that the samething? or do you have to tell them to flash the ecu and tranny?

im also taking it in because when im driving over 20mph and release gas pedal it seems to get stuck at 20mph and idle there for alongtime until i touch the brake! toyota is startig to piss me off so if i die before then atleast this is proof i was having a problem.. ha

thanks for the help guys

16. Sep 24, 2010 at 1:50 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I'm glad I have a stick. Others will chime in but I think you have to go to the dealer with a load of something to show them it bottoms out. Pick something cheap like sand if you don't have anything. You could always buy something like bags of sand or sheetrock keep the receipt bring it back for your $ if you don't mess it up.

17. Sep 24, 2010 at 5:01 AM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    flash didn't fix my shifting, oh well

18. Sep 24, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    ruskastud

ruskastud Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lenexa, KS
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    AVS Hood Shield & In Channel Ventvisors, Console Vault, Disable Seat Belt Chime, WeatherTech DigiFit Floor Liners, Lighted 4x4 Switch, Ultra-Gauge, Rear Spring TSB
    Gas pedal and ECM flash doesn't seem any different. However, I had already gotten the ECM TSB done in July. I'm sure they incorporated that fix into this new one with the pedal recall.......

19. Sep 24, 2010 at 9:52 AM
    RainDodger

RainDodger YGWYPF

Member:
    Great Northwest
    Vehicle:
    '09 Black, TRD Sport
    None yet! It's new!
    If you're not going to let them do the recall work because you simply don't want them to.... re-think it. Let Toyota assume the liability, should your truck be involved in an accident. If you ignored their recall, you will have no standing should you ever end up in court... probably even if it's unrelated to the accident. If you don't let them do the recall work, YOU could end up responsible for something bad in the future.....

Products Discussed in

To Top