1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas tank removal help /'03 hilux crew cab 4x4

Discussion in 'Hilux' started by JAMES399, Sep 21, 2022.

1. Sep 21, 2022 at 10:42 AM
    JAMES399

JAMES399 [OP] EL CAPO

Member:
    First Name:
    JAMES
    Alejandria Antioquia Colombia S.A.
    Vehicle:
    White 2003 Hilux DCSB 4x4 HI-RIDER +. 2.4L I-4, 5 spd.
    275/70R16 tires, gasolina or CNG fuel, Konig shox, Energy Suspension poly bushings,
    The gas tank in my 2003 Hilux developed a small leak, and I need to remove the tank to fix it. No 2003-specific info on this on the net. I took off the skid plate, and can see how to remove the filler neck and the air bleed. There are 4 lines on the opposite side of the tank. All are easy to disconnect EXCEPT the high pressure fuel pump outlet line. Before I disconnect anything and get in over my head, I need to know how to disconnect the hi-pressure line. Do I have to lower the tank a little ?? Or what ??
    If anyone can steer me to a DIY site for a 2003-2005 'Lux I'd really appreciate it. Or just some how-to instructions.

Thanks in advance.

- JAMES

2. Mar 24, 2023 at 7:44 PM
    JAMES399

JAMES399 [OP] EL CAPO

Member:
    First Name:
    JAMES
    Alejandria Antioquia Colombia S.A.
    Vehicle:
    White 2003 Hilux DCSB 4x4 HI-RIDER +. 2.4L I-4, 5 spd.
    275/70R16 tires, gasolina or CNG fuel, Konig shox, Energy Suspension poly bushings,
    UPDATE: I had to give up on trying to fix the leak myself. Tank removal needed to be done on a lift. So I took it to a highly recommended shop for repair. After 3 trips back, they gave me my money back and I looked somewhere else. 2nd shop same result - 3 trips still leaking. The 4th time back I asked if I could work with the mechanics and help find the leak. After about 3 hours of looking we could not find anything. I suggested that we put some soapy water in the tank, pressurize it, and see if any bubbles showed up. Finally spotted some bubbles coming out from behind a bracket spotwelded to th e tank. Removed the bracket and found a very small crack in the tank behind where the bracket was mounted. Welded the crack, reinstalled the bracket, and now the tank is leak-free.
    bracket.jpg

tank.jpg

crack.jpg

A real hassle, but finally done.

- JAMES

To Top