1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gas Tank Skid Installation - Need Some Help

Discussion in 'Pelfreybilt Off-Road' started by mantis toboggan, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Dec 13, 2016 at 7:46 AM
    mantis toboggan

mantis toboggan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR 4x4 DCSB
    Hey guys,

I recently purchased the IFS, mid, and gas tank skids during the Black November event, and the IFS and mid skids were a piece of cake to install. Unfortunately, the gas tank skid has been a bit of a pain in the ass.

I purchased and installed the OEM TRDOR straps, and it looks like the studs / bolts on the straps might be a little short. I ran the truck down to 1/8th tank of gas, but there was still sufficient curvature / bulge in the bottom of the tank that I couldn't get enough threads through the skid mounting holes to get the nuts started. I followed the recommended method of running the jack right next to the holes, but rather than compressing the tank and snugging the skid up against the tank, it just moved the skid and tank upward together.

Did anyone experience a similar problem? My plan is to try running the tank even lower (down to fuel light + an additional 10-15 miles of driving) and opening the gas cap prior to installation to relieve any potential built up internal pressure.

2. Dec 20, 2016 at 1:35 PM
    mh.meier

mh.meier Not PB Mike

Member:
    First Name:
    The Doctor
    Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    Truck Norris Silver Unicornimus Prime
    2008 Tacoma DCLB 4X4 SR5 -Pelfreybilt Steel front single-hoop bumper (12+ conversion) -Baja Designs Squadrons -Baja Designs S8 20” -KM FABRICATION custom 1/4" steel bumper mounts -Warn ZEON Platinum 12,000lb Winch -Pelfreybilt Rear HI-Clearance bumper with swingout -NATO can carrier -Folding Aluminum table -RIGID SRQ reverse lights -Full Pelfreybilt skids -ARB air compressor under the hood -Custom CO2 Setup -KMFAB Custom ext brake line brackets -KMFAB Bedrack -Camping Lab MANSION RTT -ARB Touring 6' Awning -Litra Torch camping light -CTC Bed Cap, color matched -Toyota OEM bedmat -KMFAB bed reinforcement -Pelfreybilt Sliders -BAMF Bed corner tie down brackets -Custom chopped front fenders -OTTRAW switches -King Ext Travel front CO's -King 700# coils -Total Chaos Uni-ball UCA's -Sway-A-Way 2.0 rear ext travel shocks -OME Dakar HD pack with extra AAL -35" Falken MT01s -16" SCS SR8's in Black -Kustom 54 Retrofits -Smoked Tails -Airflow Snorkel -Cobra 29LX CB with PA and the fixins' -KMFAB CB antenna mounts -Pioneer in dash DVD with Nav -Weathertech mats
    The method we use with the jack is the only one we have tested and know works. I cant attest to the TRDOR straps being correct or not as they could be like our trucks and have small variances in them. The tank definitely is snug to the skid after install though.

3. Dec 20, 2016 at 2:50 PM
    mantis toboggan

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR 4x4 DCSB
    Thanks for the reply. I hadn't contacted you guys yet because I was hoping to get some tips or tricks from other Pelfreybilt owners first.

I did find a guy at work with a Pelfreybilt gas tank skid, but he modified his own straps using carriage bolts, and it looks like they are about 1/2" longer than the TRDOR strap bolts. I will need to spend some more time under my truck to determine if my strap / tank setup just has too much bulge and then modify the straps if necessary.

4. Dec 21, 2016 at 6:48 AM
    CharlieCafe

CharlieCafe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Wherever the wind blows
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad 4x4 - MGM
    Plethora of "useless" shit
    @mantis toboggan just curious if your gas tank skid is steel or aluminum? Wondering if the thickness difference is causing the tighter fit. I'm running aluminum front to back except the gas tank and have been trying to decide which material I want to use for that when I do purchase.

5. Dec 21, 2016 at 7:43 AM
    mantis toboggan

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR 4x4 DCSB
    @iRideMTB great question, I should've specified. I have the 1/4" thick aluminum skids all around. The 1/16" less of thickness on the steel skid would help a little, but in my case, I am probably going to get some bolts that are around 3/8" longer than the stocker TRDOR strap bolts just to be safe. I think I have the wrong combination of gas tank bulge + strap variation. I heard some pretty nasty groaning when I tried to jack the skid up snug to the gas tank, and I decided that it wasn't worth breaking anything just to avoid a little strap modification.

CharlieCafe likes this.
  6. Dec 21, 2016 at 4:31 PM
    Pelfreybilt

Pelfreybilt Pelfreybilt Off-Road, Inc.

Member:
    First Name:
    Pelfreybilt
    El Cajon, California
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner
    ~ Pelfreybilt aluminum 4runner front bumper and Rocksliders coated by Line-X San Diego ~ Baja Designs- LED Lighting Grill with LED lightbar & 40" roof rack lightbar ~ Rigid Industries rock lights ~ Front Runner Outfitters roof rack, fridge slide & bottle opener ~ CVT Rooftop Tent & Awning ~ Goose Gear storage drawers ~ Katzkin Leather seat covers ~ Switch-Pro control kit ~ Factor 55 Flatlink ~ WARN VR8000-S Winch ~ Fuel Offroad Trophy Wheels ~ Goodyear Kevlar Tires ~ ICON Vehicle Dynamics Stage 5 kit. Appx 2.5" lift ~ ARB lockers, skid plates & 50qt Fridge ~ JL Audio custom stereo system
    That sounds like the safest way to go! Just add a little modification with the longer bolts and you should be fine.

Taco_2s_day likes this.
  7. Dec 25, 2016 at 11:05 PM
    Warles

Warles Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD,
    OME Suspension, Pelfreybilt bumper & skids
    I have the aluminum skid also, and struggled with "short" bolts. I ended up using a floor jack and doing one end and then the other. Just start the nuts with a turn or two, then move to the other end. Once they're started, then keep on tightening.

Make sure you wipe down the bottom of the tank and that the skid is clean, so there's nothing sharp between them...

Products Discussed in

To Top