1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gasoline smell on steering wheel

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by TacomaID, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Jan 17, 2016 at 8:44 PM
    TacomaID

TacomaID [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey guys, I really appreciate any help you can provide. Just purchased an '07 Tacoma. The guy had a steering wrap on it that I have since removed. The problem is I think the wrap left a residual smell that's similR to gasoline? I've cleaned it with Windex, lemon juice, soapy water, etc,etc. my next option was to pick up some orange hand cleaner to try unless you guys have a better recommendation?

2. Jan 17, 2016 at 11:05 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    If it were mine, I'd be going after it with something like 409. Or maybe a light bleach solution?

3. Jan 17, 2016 at 11:08 PM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    You're probably pretty screwed for now. Its the shitty cover the previous owner had on it, something to do with how the leather/fake leather is treated. I got one off of Amazon, as soon as I opened the box I thought it was doused in gasoline. Set it out for a week and it still reeked. Looked at the reviews farther down and alot of people say it never went away, just faded slightly over time. That stuff is probably soaked into your steering wheel. I'd say douse the wheel in a bleach solution as said above, really let it soak in, and then throw another cover over it.

Products Discussed in

To Top