1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gay's in the Military, What the troops think about Civilians making that decision.

Discussion in 'Military' started by battleyota, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    :stayontopic:

People, this thread is about "Gay's in the Military, What the troops think about Civilians making that decision."

Its not about who is better than the other.

Thank you,
    High Commander ;)

2. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    burnt_tiger

burnt_tiger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bakersfield CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab 4x4 longbed
    viper 5900 automatic start/alarm, pioneer avic-d3 indash gps UWS black truck box black tube steps, blue sea fuse block wet okoles console vault AFE oil free drop in air filter. hose clamp mod 5% tint Cobra 75 CB
    openly gay dudes in the army WILL get f-ed with, beat, hazed, hell might even get killed. For all you non infantry types, no matter how many times you say thats wrong, a violation of civil rights ect, ect. Thats just the way it is.
    I know my infantry brothers and me are against it and a gay would be an outcast at the least. He would probally never leave the wire, plenty of rocks to paint.
    A gay would hurt unit cohesion. Plus then politics would get into the infantry. no more blood wings, "derogatory" comments ( example a buddy farts, and you say it smells like vasaline and d#%^) ALL the fun would be sucked out.

Is the way I and my comrades feel about gays "politically correct"? No
    Is it the way things are? Yes

3. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:09 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    ^I agree

Civilians make the laws... don't like it? change the constitution

Article I section VIII of the United State Constitution: To make rules for the government and regulation of the land and naval forces.

4. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    meckleystephen

meckleystephen My Taco is Bi-Winning!!!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tacoma Off Road
    3 Inch Toytec lift,Blacked out badges
    an army soldier i agree with i dont think its right either that they would be mistreated its just simply fact

5. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    You hit it on the head. I think some of us might of grown up in areas of the country where gays weren't obvious, so put in a stew pot of people such as the military, it can be overwhelming nonetheless. The main thing as I stated earlier is society still is mixed on homosexuals and their place in society. Until that is received and respected, the military will be no different. No crap, my first supervisor when I was a young Airman 15 years ago didn't ever see a black person until he joined the military. We as Americans can live sheltered lives. Gays in the military will happen, IMO it's just not the right time yet.

6. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:12 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    but it doesn't have to be that way... if you are willing to accept that than you are in the wrong, the military has a higher standard than the rest of the country. You should not stand by and let things like that happen.

7. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    battleyota

battleyota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    Beast of Destruction
    OME suspension, All-Pro UCA, rear locker, 4.56 gears front and rear diffs, rear dif locker, 32x11.5 BF Goodrich Mud Terrians KM2, 15x8 Mickey Thompson classic lock, ARB bumper, K&N Air filter. Safari Snorkel.
    This was on the first page and I never even thought about it untill he stated this...But I would like those people in those positions, been prio service...I think it should be a requirement to hold a position like that.

8. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:18 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Voters used to make that somewhat of a priority when they voted....not so much anymore.

9. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:21 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    I think having a civilian in necessary to balance the power of the military. The founding fathers had a point when they did this... have a CINC that is prior military is a bonus but should not be a requirement... otherwise that could create a future conflict of interest.

Imagine: If the CINC could whip up a furor within the military using his military leadership/experience as a tool to use the military against the people/populace... which happens ALL THE TIME during the time of our founding father, and now a lot in some parts of the world

10. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:25 PM
    battleyota

battleyota [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    Beast of Destruction
    OME suspension, All-Pro UCA, rear locker, 4.56 gears front and rear diffs, rear dif locker, 32x11.5 BF Goodrich Mud Terrians KM2, 15x8 Mickey Thompson classic lock, ARB bumper, K&N Air filter. Safari Snorkel.
    In someway i agree but, its the knowledge of the military that i am concerned. He/She should have some experaince for better judgments and decision making.

11. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    burnt_tiger

Member:
    Bakersfield CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab 4x4 longbed
    viper 5900 automatic start/alarm, pioneer avic-d3 indash gps UWS black truck box black tube steps, blue sea fuse block wet okoles console vault AFE oil free drop in air filter. hose clamp mod 5% tint Cobra 75 CB
    dude in combat unit cohesion can and often is the difference between life and death. Nothing threatens my buddies lives. Not if it can be avoided.
    And this can be avoided.

o and i said its not "politically correct" not that i am in the wrong.

I don't want PC politics in the infantry

12. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:31 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

I think he's trying to ask the same question I did which essentially is:

Why does the mere open presence of a gay human being cause a unit to crumble?

That's an awful lot of strength undercut by, of all weapons, a limp wrist and hair gel.

13. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:39 PM
    burnt_tiger

Member:
    Bakersfield CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab 4x4 longbed

because it opens the door to drama, reprimands for gay jokes, everybody worried about saying something that will ruin a career, cant joke with buddies. Which is better a tight platoon that can joke and whatnot about anything. or a platoon with an outcast that worries about being PC rather than training

plus if your infantry you've spooned with your buddy or shared a sleeping bag or huddled together because it was that damn cold. who's gonna do that with a gay?

14. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    burnt_tiger

Member:
    Bakersfield CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab 4x4 longbed
    how much would a fraternity change if you added women? same thing

15. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:44 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Fair enough, but does it say something that the platoon can't band together to overcome these challenges?

It would become college.

Jesus, when I was in college I never joined a frat. Not because I thought they were stupid (which I did, and still do), but who the hell wants to hang out at that sausage fest with all these gorgeous women around?

You talk about gay...

16. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:46 PM
    C17Guy

C17Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Charleston, SC/ Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Readylift Kit, 245/75/16, HID's, Debadged, Kenwood DNX9960 Double Din Navigation, Image Dynamics Door Components, Pioneer Amp, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, Grillcraft Uppers and Lowers

I think the idea is that any time a person gets singled out in a squadron/unit, it usually doesn't end well, especially in a combat zone. And reality in the military currently, is that the homosexual will be an outcast. Just like when the military was de-segregated based on race and gender. It took time, and still isn't 100%, but certainly better than they were. Just like it will be with homosexuals, whether now is the right time to start is another topic I guess.

17. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:47 PM
    burnt_tiger

Member:
    Bakersfield CA
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab 4x4 longbed

18. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    c2thegreat

c2thegreat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ol' Virginny
    Vehicle:
    09 4 banger
    Readylift sst,31in. mts,TRD sport bilstein rear shocks,new head unit,bedlined tool box,fishing rack,35% tint,fogs
    All i know is EO complaints would go through the roof.

19. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:55 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR

I'm not looking for anything. I'm asking you a question. Is that your actual answer?

I can see that for sure. I guess my next question (similar to when we were at lunch Saturday) would be: Do you as a serviceman think there's any way that integration could take place without the "growing pains", or do you think it'd be better to just leave it as it is (Don't Ask/Don't Tell)?

I really enjoy these threads and discussions, but I also enjoy asking hard questions and forcing people to think. Sometimes THAT gets very unpopular.

I have decided I can abide that.

20. Mar 15, 2010 at 5:02 PM
    Mark C.

Mark C. If you want it bad, you usually get it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM SR5 4WD AC
    LED Dome, Reed Switched LEDs in Glove Box and Center Console, Bumper Fogs, Tailgate anti-theft, LEDs over Cig lighter, Back-up camera anytime, Outside Temp add-on, Hidden GPS power, Sockmonkey 3rd Brakelight decal, 4X4 switch illumination, reed switch controlled engine compartment Flood LEDs, Elite Hitch Cover, Plasti-dipped cupholders and door switch control panels, Elite Hitch Cover.
    ENOUGH Already!!!! :annoyed:

The military is at the service of the legislative and executive branches of the government!!! Been that way since the beginning!!! We can only abide by the laws and regulations, and defend them. The only chance we have to change anything of that nature is to participate in the citizens' right to vote, if it ever comes to a public vote. If we feel we have a problem with what is going on, then we should let our elected representatives know....and until it is resolved, abide by the laws, regulations, directives, and orders to which we have sworn to obey, uphold, and defend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top