1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gearing swap qustions ....

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by skunkturd, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Dec 29, 2011 at 11:26 AM
    skunkturd

skunkturd [OP] Member

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    making a wish list
    Hello everyone ...
    I need help from you pro's on gearing swap..
    here it is short and sweet.. I want to regear because I run Dick Cepeks crushers and there 32.5" tall and I dog offroad and gas mileage got murdered so I want to get torque back..Its a 2010 tacoma with a 5 sp manual trans with 4:10s motor has no mods and is a 4 banger..
    so 4:56's right (nittros gears said I need a front carrier because there gear is thick) or 4:88 no new carrier req'd..
    this is a everyday driver.
    1: do I need a new carrier in front!
    2: 4:56 vs 4:88
    3: add arb air locker(heard seals go and need changing every 2 years)
    4: machined thrust washers or crush washers?
    5: brands and links(yukon and just differanials I know about and they are very pricy JT QOUTE is $2550.00 in parts with arb and upgraded air comp!).
    thank you very much ...
    Happy New Year!!
    jack

2. Dec 29, 2011 at 11:31 AM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    Check out http://eastcoastgearsupply.com they are the number one source and knowledge for gears...give em a call and they will get you in the right direction..their customer service is A+

3. Dec 29, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    I can't help you with all your questions, but I will tell you you're really not going to get your gas mileage any better with a regear. You'll get the missing torque back, but the gas mileage is a wash. You *might* get better gas mileage in town depending on how much skinny pedal you use, but you'll end up burning more gas on the highway.

Personally I think 4.88's are too tall for a daily driver, but then again you've got the 4 banger.

You're local so I'd suggest you give Rearend Specialties in Santa Clara a CALL. They will give you a good price over the phone to try to get you to come in. Just right down the number they tell you. I pulled both my third members off to and handed them over to reagear and it cost me less than $800. My buddy had his regular cab prerunner regeared and ARB added there as well.

No matter how you look at it, the ARB isn't cheap. You can find them online for ~$900 or so. Also I'd suggest calling East Coast Gear Supply and I'm sure they could answer all the questions for you.

4. Dec 29, 2011 at 12:08 PM
    skunkturd

skunkturd [OP] Member

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    making a wish list
    thanks a bunch ..ya doin my home work..ECG rocks and Rear End Spec said $1300.00 and $2100. with AIR LOCKER (front) both 4:56 and both places said I should stick with 4:56 not 4:88's..
    THIS SHIT IS ADDING UP FAST...tire&wheels, camper shell, stereo,lift, winch and winch bumper! now gears.. and motor mod coming cha ching!!
    later.
    skunk

5. Dec 29, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    You can get thin 4.56 that work with your existing carrier, but it's pretty common to go 4.88 for the 4 banger 5 speed.

2800rpm at 70mph. It's a pretty quiet motor, so tire noise is still the loudest thing in the cab at 70mph.

And you haven't even thrown speedo correction into your price mix yet .

Products Discussed in

To Top