1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gen 1 TRD Prerunner Diff Noises

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bayoukid, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Feb 25, 2018 at 8:51 AM
    bayoukid

bayoukid [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    Summerfield N.C.
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner TRD 2wd 6 cyl 4x2
    Tow Hitch, tranny cooler
    So I have this 2000 pre-runner and it has just around 131,000 miles on it, have had it since 2003 bought with 30,000 on it. Never been off road, used as a commuter vehicle and pulled a trailer or two in the years. So 4 years ago I heard this moaning noise coming from the rear end. I have mudder tires on it so at first I thought it was the tires howling till the noise grew louder. So I brought it to a shop that works on all types of vehicles and had them diagnose it as the main pinion bearing. I authorized the repair. This was there in Cali. So fast forward 4 years and all of a sudden the noise is back now I'm in North Carolina. But I thought surely it's not the diff. again. So I investigated the hanger bearing. Purchased it replaced it and before I put the driveshaft back on I decided to rotate the wheels. I could feel this horrific galling going on when I turn the yoke on the diff. but not when I turn the wheels.
    So, sorry for the long winded paragraph.
    But I was wondering, what is the likelihood that the pinion bearing is going out again? Could the pre load have been off? could it be the carrier bearings, could it be one of the gears has broken off could the whole rear end be shot!? All these questions will be answered this week and I am scared as hell to learn the problem. What the cost will be and how long will this repair last?o_O:fingerscrossed::crapstorm:
    Then there is the question of, is there a history of the E-locker causing this issue without using it at all?
    Does replacing the complete rear end seem like a more economical process than rebuilding or repairing the existing one? And if so can a NON E-locker be put into place?
    according to the plate the diff. code is B03A which I believe would be a 4:10 gear ratio???
    Any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  2. Feb 25, 2018 at 11:01 AM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    Dont have an elocker, so dont know those issues, i have 555,000 on my diffs,, with zero issues, so if you go the non elocker I can testify to durability with a superchargered motor putting out another 100 hp to the diffs,
    And you could probably find a used axle pretty cheap for 200.00 all day long

3. Feb 25, 2018 at 11:32 AM
    bayoukid

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    Summerfield N.C.
    Vehicle:
    Tow Hitch, tranny cooler
    Well that's quite impressive, I am looking right now for a whole rear end to swap it out. I only used the e-locker since I've had it but twice I believe thanks for the feedback.

4. Feb 26, 2018 at 1:00 PM
    jsoll816

jsoll816 Member

Member:
    Do you know if the bearing race was replaced as well? I’m currently replacing all my differential bearings, and I’m replacing every bearing, race and seal in the diff for good measure. My outer pinion bearing was also bad.

5. Feb 26, 2018 at 3:17 PM
    bayoukid

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    Summerfield N.C.
    Vehicle:
    Tow Hitch, tranny cooler
    According to the mechanic that did the work it was, I can only assume that it was as the mechanic was a good family friend. I now have decided to replace the whole chunk since I can't find a shop that has the knowledge of the E- locker diff. Not sure why this matters but evidently it does. The only place I can find a chunk is in San Diego Ca. they have a 4:30 ratio and now I need to see if it will work with the set up I have. The tires I have are 31x10.5x15 mud tires.

6. Feb 26, 2018 at 3:24 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    The e-locker wouldn't cause that noise, worst thing that happens if you don't use the e-locker for years is that it won't work when you do need it.

Do you replace the gear oil in the diff at the regular intervals? Every 30k or so?

7. Feb 26, 2018 at 3:27 PM
    bayoukid

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    Summerfield N.C.
    Vehicle:
    Tow Hitch, tranny cooler
    well to be honest the gear oil was changed about 4-5 yrs ago when the pinion gear was replaced and that's the only time since I had it. I've driven maybe 30,000 miles on that oil. But now things are quite noisy and clunky in there.

8. Feb 26, 2018 at 3:29 PM
    eon_blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    hmm...I'd change the oil out and see if it solves your problem. It could be that the mileage and time have rendered it less effective and you're hearing the sound of the diff struggling as it gets hot (good, clean oil helps dissipate the heat and prevent that from happening).

75w90 is the kind of gear oil you want, I recommend synthetic but regular is fine too. I think it only takes a little over 2 quarts, but buy 3 to make sure you're covered.

It's super easy to do yourself, just undo the fill plug and drain plug (both are the same size bolt, 24mm I think?), drain out the old and fill it up with the new. Always a good idea to replace the crush washer on the bolts as well, you can get them through Toyota or Amazon.

9. Feb 26, 2018 at 3:32 PM
    eon_blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    If there is something catastrophically wrong with the differential itself, you or your mechanic would likely know when you drain the old fluid out as there would be big chunks/shavings of metal coming out with it. Hopefully that's not the case, but if it is then it's time to look for a replacement. Your diff is not something that you want to have seize up on you while you're driving.

10. Feb 26, 2018 at 3:37 PM
    bayoukid

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    Summerfield N.C.
    Vehicle:
    Tow Hitch, tranny cooler
    thanks, I've thought of doing that but the actual feeling I get when I was under there turning the yoke and hearing as well, tells me there is more to this situation. I believe that the preload on the bearing was incorrect and caused premature wear of the Babbitt on the race. I've been told that it's advised not to use by a differential mechanic that has been doing regular diffs for 35+ years.

11. Feb 26, 2018 at 3:40 PM
    bayoukid

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    Summerfield N.C.
    Vehicle:
    Tow Hitch, tranny cooler
    Agreed as most roads I travel are 2 way roads, that's all I need is a head on from it freezing up.

Products Discussed in

To Top