1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gen 1 v Gen 2; which is better

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by rangejeep, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Aug 2, 2008 at 7:23 PM
    rangejeep

rangejeep [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    I'm looking into buying a Taco and which is the best generation? I'm crossed between 1 and 2. So far I really like the double cab trd sr5 4x4. I'll only off road a couple times a year and have little experance off roading so if a prerunner with lockers is enough to have fun please let me know. I plan on getting my taco in a month so please give your generation opinion.
    Thanks

2. Aug 2, 2008 at 7:29 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Neither is better really. The 05+ is bigger, more powerful, and more refined. The 1st Gen (95.5-'04) is smaller (better for tight trails) and is considered to be built stronger overall by some. If you want something larger with more power, the 05+ is what you want.

A locked Prerunner is pretty capable. Especially with a good driver and a good set of MT or AT tires. It really depends on what you want to do with it wether or not you want 4x4. If you only use it off road to go camping/fishing/hunting or go to the occasional trail a Prerunner is fine. But if you will use it more and can afford it, the 4x4 is a better option.

3. Aug 2, 2008 at 7:30 PM
    silver07taco

silver07taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    COIL
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    13 Tundra RCSB 5.7 4x4,07 Tacoma AC 4.0 4x4
    2013 Tundra RCSB 5.7 4x4, 2007 Tacoma AC 4.0 4x4
    I like them both, if you want more room I would go with the new ones 05-09, And more power I would go with the 05-09, But there both awsome trucks.

4. Aug 3, 2008 at 6:04 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I'm torn.....
    I owned a 96 for 5 years and miss that truck. It's been out of my life for about 4 years now and recently spotted it and I could cry. The poor truck looks like crap and isn't getting the TLC it deserves. The owners are clueless.

But anyway.... My 07 is doing well after 1 year (as it should). I'll be impressed when it reaches 5 years old and matches the reliability that my 96 had.

For me - it wasn't about the size or the power, or even the offroading. It was more about buying a NEW vehicle (warrantee) and knowing exactly what you get (per say). I've purchased a lot of used vehicles in my time and I wasn't in the mood to buy another *Unknown* (as in - history of the vehicle and how it was abused/cared for).

If you're buying used -you can't go wrong with an 04 1st gen (newer the better). If you're looking into the 2nd gens - I'd look more at the 06-08's.
    I think I've read more problems on the 05's (1st year of the 2nd gens). Then - if you're considering the 06's-08's ....you should compare pricing to that of the NEW ones.

5. Aug 3, 2008 at 6:16 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    I agree with all that's been said... It really comes down to how much space you want in the truck. Drive one of each and figure out which one fits your needs and your family's (?) needs. If price is an issue, though, there's no question that you can get a 1st gen cheaper... the newest ones are still 4 years old.

As far as 4x4 vs. lockers, if you don't offroad much, I wouldn't bother buying a truck with the added weight and moving parts required for the 4x4.

6. Aug 3, 2008 at 6:21 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Janster makes a good point, it does concern the budget and piece of mind. I would suggest a 1st gen. Find a nice extra cab, I-4, 5 speed, with a possible 4x4. This truck is a tank, (if you find one that has been maintained). This truck is why we are all here, they run forever, don't take much money to maintain, are fun to drive and will do anything you ask of them. They might not go 60 mph up hill with a load on them, but they will go up a trail or through the fields with a load where others would fail. You get one of these and you know why we are all here.

7. Aug 3, 2008 at 6:59 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Like a couple people said, it's really up to you.

• Where do you live?
    • Do you have lots of snow?
    • Do you hunt? Washed out, muddy, hilly trails to hunting grounds? (basically somewhere you'll need 4wd OR a buddy to get you unstuck)
    • Do you have family that'll appreciate the larger cab of the 05+ DC's? (I couldn't fit in the back seat of an 01 DC if the driver's seat was back far enough for me to drive. That killed the deal back then.)
    Then there's the new vs used decision. I've had 2 used cars, and will never buy used again. You never know how the previous owner treated (abused) them, what small things here and there don't work until after you take it home, and no idea what might die in 2 months. I have a wife and 3 kids so I'm not about to get stranded somewhere because X part gave out halfway home, or be stuck at home because it's in the shop. So I went new since I still have my 2nd used vehicle that needs work all the time. I'm tired of fixing crap so new was the way to go for me. It just works! :laugh: On top of that, used prices for 05+ were only a couple grand less than new so what was the point of buying someone else's problems? :D

8. Aug 3, 2008 at 3:58 PM
    rpoint16

rpoint16 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Off-Road, Super White.
    Bone Stock
    I love my 08 DBL Cab. Spacious, rides smooth.

But I miss my 95.

95-2.jpg

9. Aug 3, 2008 at 4:33 PM
    RioNovo

RioNovo Arizona Native

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 TRD SR5
    Bed liner, Bed Extender, Vision Shell, Alpine Speakers and Alpine Amp, Sway-A-Way coil overs up front, Deaver 6 pack in the rear, 285/75 R16 L/Ts on blacked out alloy wheels, All Pro Sliders, 1000w Power Inverter, SSB/AM CB, Gray Wire Mod, Constant 12v Power Outlet Mod, Deckplate Mod, Open Door Warning Disabled, More to Come!
    Kinda like Rpoint and all the rest have said, it just depends on what you want out of your truck. If it's mainly for in town and on the highway, with only an occasional light excursion off road, then the Prerunner will probably serve you well. If you think you may want to do more off roading in the future, and have a truck that's able to get into and back out of places where others seldom tread, then a 4x4 is the way to go.

Either a 1st or a 2nd gen Tacoma will serve you well if you start with a good one and take care of it like you should. Cab configuration once again depends on what you need and want, whether it be double cab, access cab, extended or standard cab. They're all Toyatas and they'll each do the job they're designed for, so put some thought into your purchase and you'll be fine whatever you decide.

----------------------------------

By the way Rpoint, what part of Tempe are you in?

10. Aug 3, 2008 at 5:12 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    No way in hell can you pin one gen better than the other-they are both SO awsome within their own attributes:) whichever you decide you cannot lose!

11. Aug 3, 2008 at 5:15 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    We may have to start a Tempe chapter. :D

12. Aug 3, 2008 at 7:04 PM
    rangejeep

rangejeep [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    I've decided on 4x4 so it's there when I'm ready. I live in North Carolina so trails or only an hour away. As for size I noticed that the Gen 2 has a clearly larger backseat from the door size. I'm 6'6" and don't plan on sitting in the back but I fit in Gen2 rear fine. I will need to test out the Gen1 for size. I do have a family so a 4 door is a must. I had a 1985 4runner during high school in 1996 but the 22RE gave out around 200k; I loved that truck. So which v6 engine/tranny setup is better between the 2 generations? Thanks for the help; I found a 2003 TRD 4d/ 4x4 with 72k miles for only 18k. That's alot cheaper than the 09 fully loaded for 32k..ouch.

13. Aug 3, 2008 at 7:24 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    yeah man. where at in nc

14. Aug 3, 2008 at 7:41 PM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    Im 6'1" and my knees are pretty bent in full seat back. I find it OK but on trips over 100 miles my right knee hurts from not stretching out enough. Check that real good:) TONS of headroom though

15. Aug 3, 2008 at 8:34 PM
    RioNovo

RioNovo Arizona Native

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 TRD SR5
    Bed liner, Bed Extender, Vision Shell, Alpine Speakers and Alpine Amp, Sway-A-Way coil overs up front, Deaver 6 pack in the rear, 285/75 R16 L/Ts on blacked out alloy wheels, All Pro Sliders, 1000w Power Inverter, SSB/AM CB, Gray Wire Mod, Constant 12v Power Outlet Mod, Deckplate Mod, Open Door Warning Disabled, More to Come!
    72k miles is not bad at all, depending on who owned the truck and how well it was taken care of. As far as price goes it depends on a lot of factors. I bought my '03 TRD SR5 double cab 4x4 for a bit less than that, however I just happened to find the right truck at the right price from a buyer that needed to sell and was willing to come down quite a bit from his asking price.

If you're working with a dealer you might want to check your local Craigslist before you buy, and also look into sites like Auto Trader. Find the average selling price in your area of the unit you're looking at and make sure you're getting the most bang for your buck.

When you've located the one you really want, checked it out thoroughly top to bottom, got the best possible price on it, and finally pulled the trigger and made the deal, you'll know you're driving the right truck home at exactly the right price, and you'll enjoy it for a long time to come!

16. Aug 3, 2008 at 8:55 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    I had an 03(1st gen) & now have the (2nd gen) 05. I tow a bass boat. The 03 did ok on towing, but horrible stopping. The 05 does excellent towing & excellent stopping. Also much roomier than my 03. I prefer the 2nd gen better. Both are very well built trucks. I'm 6'3" and traveling in my 05 is much more comfortable.

Be sure to check Edmunds.com for the prices you should be paying. Tacomas are one of the most wanted vehicles.

As for transmission, Toyota's automatics get as good a gas mileage as a manual on the 2nd gens. It is just your preference.

17. Aug 3, 2008 at 11:38 PM
    Marioso

Marioso Risueno

Member:
    San diego Ca
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Fj Cruiser
    someone should make a video comparing the first gen to the second in certain environments and situations

18. Aug 4, 2008 at 4:49 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    If your little ones begin to grow into big ones (like yourself), they'll appreciate the room of the 2nd gen.

A Tacoma with 72k miles is still good for a long time, but (I think somebody else mentioned this) that doesn't sound like a very good price at all. There are 2nd gens around here with half the miles for just a few thousand more than that.

I just went to Kelly Blue Book and put the information I knew (or guessed)about that truck, plus a few things extra just in case (4x4, 4 door, automatic, TRD pakage, tow package, running boards, alloy wheels, NC area code, etc.) and assumed the vehicle is in excellent condition... KBB said the private party value was just under $15k. (The range from Fair to Excellent was $12.7k to $14.9k.) It might be a good truck, but don't get ripped off.

Keep us updated as you make your decision!

19. Aug 4, 2008 at 6:02 AM
    klown

klown Tacoma World Ring Leader

Member:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD sport 4x4 double cab 6-speed
    Black, leather and heated seats, borla sport exhaust, side curtain airbags, daytime running lights, all weather mats, JBL premium 6 disk changer system, stainless step tubes, window tint, tow package
    Don't listen to these other guys, if you want the best advice, then listen to me.

Best advice you're gonna hear, are you ready for it?

Well are you?

Get them both.

20. Aug 4, 2008 at 6:13 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    I'm in agreement with most.

First Gen
    Rugged
    Smaller

Second Gen
    Power
    Larger
    Warranty still available

I chose the second gen because I wanted a new vehicle and I liked the size and speed of the double cab. The 2nd gen Tacoma is still the most reliable new truck out there.

Products Discussed in

To Top