1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Getting The Axle Out.. HELP

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Devinb, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Oct 8, 2010 at 4:16 PM
    Devinb

Devinb [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    I have a 98 taco. My front drives side axle broke in half. I have gotten the wheel off and the nuckle off and the the side of the axle that goes to the wheel has been removed.

HOWEVER..

the side that goes into the front diff will not come off. It should just pop out, the only thing that is holding it is a little clip on the shaft. Well i have takin two prybars on each side of that bell type thing and pried like hell. It easily came about a quarter of and inch, and then just stops.
    It wiggles and moves freely, it will just not come any further out.

I NEED HELP. does anyone have any suggestions. That would be nice

2. Oct 8, 2010 at 4:54 PM
    1welder

1welder Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tony grace
    edgewood, tx.
    Vehicle:
    98' ext. cab
    toytec coilovers, bil 5100's, dakar leafs, e-locker rear,aussie front, 4x innovations sliders,cooper stt's 32x11.5x15, max 4 marathon seat covers,
    Rotate it each time you pry. I know you've probably all ready done that but I've never had trouble getting one out. Good luck.

3. Oct 8, 2010 at 5:04 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i've had some that were stubborn...just kept rotating it...and prying it...swapping between large and small pry bars and a slide hammer...it eventually popped

4. Oct 8, 2010 at 5:34 PM
    Devinb

Devinb [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    i have tried rotating it and what not. It seems that it is just being held in my something

5. Oct 8, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    AlexXx

AlexXx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    99 taco
    All-Pro 3" Rear kit, Camburg Coilovers, 1" RB BL, 285/75/16's, and rear Lock Right locker Collecting 4wd parts to convert.
    Man I just did this with two medium sized flat head screwdrivers. Came out like a charm.

Odd that it won't come out anymore, tried prying harder? haha

6. Oct 8, 2010 at 5:50 PM
    Devinb

Devinb [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    ha, yeah. Another guy and I had a two foot pry bar on each side of it and where pushing them with our legs.. WOULDNT MOVE AT ALL.. Im really not sure what to do with it at this point. I have thought of drilling throw the bell and putting a bolt threw it and a chain, and yankin the hell out of it.

Also someone said that in some gens the front diff its straight threw from the passenger to the drivers side, and I might be able to take off the passenger side axle and put something threw the diff to hit it out from the inside? any one have input on that?

7. Oct 8, 2010 at 6:01 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    try a smaller pry bar

8. Oct 8, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    If theres enough of the axle to grab onto, get a friend to grasp firmly applying pulling pressure (pulling it towards him) Get a blunt chisel.pry bar & a good heavy hammer (I'm serious here) You holding the chisel/punch/prybar squarely against the CV where it goes into the diff, & give it good sharp hits ,rotating as you go with your buddy appling the pulling pressure & it should give way shortly, be careful of the soft seals around the openings in the diff. damage easily, good luck.....:cool:

9. Oct 8, 2010 at 7:34 PM
    AlexXx

AlexXx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    99 taco
    All-Pro 3" Rear kit, Camburg Coilovers, 1" RB BL, 285/75/16's, and rear Lock Right locker Collecting 4wd parts to convert.
    Try pushing it back in and pry again. I honestly can't think of anything else to do. It's buggin me though.

10. Oct 8, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    KCin HBCA

KCin HBCA 2020 TRD Sport 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2020 Dbl Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I used two thick 1" cold chisel as a wedge to get mine out. I drove them in where you are putting your prybar. It's scary how much force it takes sometimes to get the axles out.

Good luck!

Just a thought... cut some wedges out of a 2 x 4 and try them if you can't lay your hands on a big chisel.

11. Oct 8, 2010 at 9:20 PM
    Devinb

Devinb [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Ok, tomorrow i will try the chisel and another pulling it and rotating it.

Hopefully something will give way. Ill be back with the results. And thanks for the help everyone.

12. Oct 9, 2010 at 12:14 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    The axles come out separately, they aren't a straight thru application,

serious, you do it like I suggested & I'll bet it comes out or will be ready to come out in 3 -4 good whacks......:cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top