1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GFC Camper Q&A and Visual History

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by wileydavis, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Jun 17, 2022 at 7:30 AM
    wileydavis

wileydavis [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wiley
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    IMG_8979.jpg

Hey TW. It's been a while :)

I'm Wiley, co-founder and CEO of Go Fast Campers. GFC is now four years old and it's been a very interesting ride to say the least (one that's only just begun). I'm starting this thread to answer any questions people might have about the campers or the company and to post photos and stories from the early days of GFC before I forget them amidst the chaos of all the new stuff that's happening :) TW might be an odd choice for such a thread but I think it makes sense. It was my purchase of the 3rd gen taco in the photo above that provided the kick needed to make a lot of the ideas I'd had swirling around in my head into reality. So while GFC now builds campers for more than 100 different truck models, it all began thanks to that one Tacoma.

March, 2018
    moveinday.jpg

Our first shop. This space is now Machine Town (for those of you who have had a recent tour). But when we moved in we naively thought that it would be more than enough space to do everything in. Shown here is prototype #2, the dragon cnc plasma tube notcher, a fabric cutting table, Shasta the fur-monkey (RIP), and a roll of fabric.

Machine Town Today
    machinetown.jpg

This is the same space today. We call it Machine Town (our towns are a nod to Mad Max) and it's where all the extrusion and billet parts on our campers get machined. The four machines off to the left make all the billet aluminum parts using robotic machine-tending systems we design and build in-house. The three machines in the center process all the extrusion that make up our tent and space-frames. We have over 20 unique extrusion profiles that we designed. These get cut on the saw off to the right and machined the day before final assembly. Each one of those blue carts is a single camper that will be a finished camper the following day.

TBC...

Fast1, Nicklovin, gwiz and 12 others like this.
  2. Jun 17, 2022 at 7:31 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Squatting Pigeon Remember, bird watching goes both ways. Moderator

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    :wave:

@wileydavis think we’ll ever see the superlite come back?

3. Jun 17, 2022 at 7:40 AM
    wileydavis

Member:
    First Name:
    Wiley
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    Superlite is absolutely coming back and we're actively working on it. I can't give you a timeline (since we don't do that anymore for new products in the pipeline) but Superlite and the GFC Topper are active projects for our engineering team. We recently released the Chase Frame knowing that it will be a perfect pairing with the new Superlite. Again, no timelines but we're committed to making the built-in-the-USA Superlite a reality ASAP.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  4. Jun 17, 2022 at 7:54 AM
    Squatting Pigeon

Squatting Pigeon Remember, bird watching goes both ways. Moderator

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    Awesome news!
    The other half is about to start her Rav4 build and the superlite checked all the boxes in our tent research. :thumbsup:

5. Jun 17, 2022 at 8:00 AM
    medicfung

medicfung Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    richie
    Vehicle:
    2019 DC TRD OFFROAD 4x4 6ft bed quicksand

I’m the happy owner of camper #1630. I saw the v1 and instantly knew I was going to have one in my taco one day. I made the trip to Bozeman last summer to get mine installed, it’s become a family trip that re set the bar, now we all want to do long road trips to far away destinations, no longer happy with just exploring the south west and all of California.
    The GFC has been a game changer for me, I’ve been a truck with a traditional camper owner for over 20 years, and this is by far the best one I’ve owned, for utility and ergonomics. Need to get something out of the bed from the front? Open one of the side panels. Change into dry clothes after a surf? Pop the camper. Hang out on a summer day in the shade? Pop the camper. Place to chill after a mtb ride? Lunch break nap? Mobile work station? You get the point.
    This thing is one of the best investments I’ve made into my comfort at work and play.
    Thank you for the awesome customer service, creating a forum for owners, and updating your products while making sure older owners can keep their GFC up to date by sending us the newer products, such as the beef bar end caps and weatherization kit.

6. Jun 17, 2022 at 8:00 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Great to see you back.

I really wanted a GFC, but ended up almost completely satisfied with a Softopper. Hahaha!

I did get a chance to look over a V2 very closely. Damn! You guys really hit it out of the park there. Beautiful setup and features all around. Congrats!

Good luck with the future stuff.

7. Jun 17, 2022 at 8:01 AM
    metalmule

metalmule Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 DCSB
    Thanks for doing this.

What type of mpg hit can one expect with a platform camper on a DCSB Tacoma? Does the camper/tent combo produce additional wind noise on the road? If yes how much?

Really interested in the platform camper but concerned with the mpg/noise hit on daily driver. Would a camper and a RTT that can be taken on/off be a better fit for someone with my concerns?

8. Jun 17, 2022 at 9:08 AM
    medicfung

Member:
    First Name:
    richie
    Vehicle:
    My dclb with GFC is my daily. I average 16mpg with sliders, bumper, winch, GFC and work gear inside, on 265s, but I also have a Maggie SC.

metalmule[QUOTED], MR E30 and Robb_D like this.
  9. Jun 17, 2022 at 9:19 AM
    vivid02

vivid02 Buy a Tesla…..I need the gas.

Member:
    First Name:
    Edwin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4 DCSB
    OEM+
    I had no idea it all started from a little Tacoma.
    :thumbsup:

wileydavis[OP] likes this.
  10. Jun 17, 2022 at 9:19 AM
    ndmak

ndmak Well-Known Member

Member:
    really cool shop and tooling. any chance youre hiring?

TartanEagle and wileydavis[OP] like this.
  11. Jun 17, 2022 at 9:20 AM
    MR E30

MR E30 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Wherever it's parked
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver TRD OR DCLB w/ AluCab and All the Mods
    Another comparison for you @metalmule:

2021 DCLB with AluCab Canopy Camper, which is also my daily. The CC is filled with 'house' stuff. 255/85/16's Load E (33's), sliders, skids, winch, bumper, lift. Nothing on the outside of the CC except for solar panels on the roof.

I average 16 mpg around town. I average 13.3 mpg at 65. I average 9.8 mpg at 75+. No SC yet, but I'll have one within the year.

The GFC is a super cool product. My best Tacoma buddy is picking his up in just a couple of weeks and I'm excited for our upcoming trip together so I can look at it in depth.

TailHook and metalmule like this.
  12. Jun 17, 2022 at 9:28 AM
    crazysccrmd

crazysccrmd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Aprilia Tuareg 660
    Cool update. I enjoyed the hell out of mine while I had, number 16 off the production line if I remember right. The shop definitely wasn't that advanced back in June 2018.

13. Jun 17, 2022 at 2:12 PM
    tacotowgunner

tacotowgunner Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Sport
    @wileydavis any insight on the topper only option that I saw on your Instagram stories.

Of course I just took delivery of a RSI smartcap

14. Jun 17, 2022 at 4:23 PM
    wileydavis

Member:
    First Name:
    Wiley
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    It's coming, I swear. I can't give a timeline but I can say that we planned to do toppers when we redesigned the frame from V1 to V2. So we built a handful of them to test. But then we just didn't have bandwidth to build them and keep up with campers so turning the prototypes into actual products was never an active project for engineering. But now that we've built up the capacity to manufacture them (not easy to do in this supply chain environment), they have gone from a project in stasis to an active one, so that bodes well if you get my drift.

tacotowgunner[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jun 17, 2022 at 4:24 PM
    wileydavis

Member:
    First Name:
    Wiley
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
  16. Jun 17, 2022 at 4:38 PM
    wileydavis

Member:
    First Name:
    Wiley
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    I can't tell you how happy this makes me. My biggest intent with the camper design was to make something that was as unobtrusive as possible so that people would leave it on their trucks all the time and get the same functionality out of it as a topper. Except that when a weekend adventure or the need for some impromptu shade or personal space arises, the shelter is right there, no pre-planning required. We get the occasional request to make the camper bigger (longer for an always open floor and taller for more bedding) and while I totally understand where those requests are coming from, doing so would compromise what the GFC is all about, that unobtrusiveness. Minimizing height, minimizing cab overhang, and minimizing weight all help make the camper something you want to leave on the truck all the time. Most of our customers don't camp full time or even every weekend. But most of them do drive their truck every day. As you've pointed out, having the ability to pop a tent at any moment comes in really handy for more than just camping.

GASH and medicfung[QUOTED] like this.
  17. Jun 17, 2022 at 10:47 PM
    medicfung

Member:
    First Name:
    richie
    Vehicle:
    You bring up a great point I forgot to mention as well, with beef bars I can still fit into any garage with a 6’10” clearance and I have king 2.5 suspension on 265s. Perfect for my local mall

18. Jun 18, 2022 at 6:48 AM
    wileydavis

Member:
    First Name:
    Wiley
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5
    On a stock truck I believe most folks seem to be seeing ~2mpg reduction. That varies quite a bit with driving style and of course any suspension/tire modifications will have an even bigger impact. Wind noise can also vary with the specifics of individual trucks. I know some customers have installed a roof rack fairing on the cab and report it improves fuel economy and eliminates wind noise. Point being, neither of those things is overbearing enough to warrant constant removal of the camper. In fact, It was designed specifically to be something you'd want to leave on all the time. Spur-of-the-moment tent popping is where it's at :) Plus the topper/tent combo doesn't give you a pass through, which is a bigger deal than you'd think.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
    Camerasandcoffee likes this.
  19. Jun 18, 2022 at 8:30 AM
    medicfung

Member:
    First Name:
    richie
    Vehicle:
    5F44ED35-0811-446E-8233-3AD53CE0C1CB.jpg
    just this am using my truck as a truck. Can’t do that with an alucab:)

20. Jun 18, 2022 at 9:13 AM
    GASH

GASH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Albuqueruqe
    Vehicle:
    2021 AG Off-road
    I was about to pull the trigger on an RSI Smartcap until I read this thread. The story behind the product is what really sold me. My truck is a daily driver and I camp frequently but not every weekend. I have an Uptop Overland Alpha roof rack, would the GFC camper for with the rack?

wileydavis[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top