1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GFC SuperLite

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by CoastalTRD, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Aug 5, 2021 at 8:26 AM
    TexasTacoma713

TexasTacoma713 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra
    CoastalTRD[OP] likes this.
  2. Sep 10, 2021 at 11:16 AM
    TexasTacoma713

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra
    Anyone doing any modifications to theirs?

Used it for the first time and it’s great but my only quirk is I wished it has gas struts to open… Thinking about drilling into the platforms and installing some.

boston23 likes this.
  3. Sep 11, 2021 at 1:38 PM
    Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Prepare To Attack

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Interesting idea

4. Sep 16, 2021 at 12:47 AM
    Taconator_

Taconator_ IG: ohv_tacotruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    18' DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    This thing looks sweet, too bad they stopped all orders for 2021. Hopefully they open them for 2022.

5. Sep 17, 2021 at 9:33 AM
    newhampshiretaco

newhampshiretaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Concord, NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma SR5 DCSB - 4x4 V6
    RSI EvoA SmartCap Method 701 16x8 Falken Wildpeak 265/70r16 Rago Bed Stiffeners Pro Grille
    Can somebody explain to me, or take photos of how the rigid panels are inserted into the tent assembly? I'm looking to build one similar to the Superlite...

6. Sep 17, 2021 at 10:14 AM
    CoastalTRD

CoastalTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport 4x4
    Check the GFC YouTube site. There's a video that briefly shows them sliding the panels into the fabric. I think its one of the process update videos, not exactly sure though.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  7. Sep 20, 2021 at 6:48 AM
    TexasTacoma713

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra
    Don’t think I can install the gas struts. Panels seem to be sewed in. You can open flap to see them but this thing too damn big and clunky to take out the panel. The panel is like 1 inch thick, 3D printed honeycomb type material

8. Sep 20, 2021 at 6:53 AM
    TexasTacoma713

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra
    If I was attempting to make a panel, id probably start with a aluminum extrusion frame with sheet aluminum top

9. Oct 9, 2021 at 7:30 AM
    Hawk373

Hawk373 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCLB
    DMZ, ADS, King, JFR, SOS, ECGS, LSK
    I can’t find any mounting hardware, did anyone find some hidden somewhere in the tent?

There’s an install video showing supplied hardware.

I tried contacting GFC with one email and one phone message after a week of not hearing anything. They’re usually really good at getting back.

10. Oct 10, 2021 at 7:34 AM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    Mine came inside the RTT.

11. Oct 10, 2021 at 2:43 PM
    Hawk373

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCLB
    I’ll do another search, thanks.

12. Oct 10, 2021 at 5:50 PM
    Lord Helmet

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle:
    '24 GX550 Overtrail+
    No problem

13. Oct 13, 2021 at 6:46 AM
    Puckbag34

Puckbag34 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Received mine yesterday. Offering a couple initial impressions of it...

It's well packaged, and Old Dominion did a good job handling it carefully. Only two minor breakages of the box in a non-critical spot. FYI, the driver likely won't help you much when unloading it. So having either a hand cart, or a friend/neighbor around to help is desirable. Dragging it around might damage it (even with the good packaging). Drive mentioned that if they needed to use the mechanical lift to lower it, there would have been an extra charge (wasn't needed in my case though).

My hardware received does not match up with the description of the mounting hardware on post 29 of this thread. Mine only has t bolts and a single (per mount) aluminum piece that would span across the bottom of my Yakima Overhaul rack's cross beams. Concern here is that if it was clamped down, over time the aluminum tracks on the bottom of the tent would deform. This seems like a rushed compromise and I'm not wanting to deal with making a better system myself. I'll be inquiring with them about this, since what I received seems incorrect for my application. They did specifically ask me what rack I was mounting the tent on, so I'll just call it concerning for now, and give them a chance to correct or explain... What they do show on post 29 would work perfectly for me, so I know they have what I believe I need.

The tent seems very, almost ridiculously short. I'm a very average height (5'7) and my average size 9 feet can't be straight up without any mattress in the tent. The mattress will only make this worse. Sort of crap that I'll be sleeping sideways or can't sleep two in this tent without being sardined in some manner. I know all the dimensions were specified and I guess I could have figured that this is how it would be, but really another 6-8 inches of overall length is desperately needed on this thing. To sleep two medium height people with your feet pointed up, expect your head to be in contact with the fabric on end door panel. That will be extremely annoying in the slightest wind. Sensing this will be a real issue with it.

With a mattress and sleep stuff in the closed tent, the velcro fittings along the side of it are unlikely to be usable (it would be too thick). Probably won't be much of an issue, but I expect some additional flapping in the wind when driving with my anticipated setup. Can possibly put in some "bridging velcro" if it becomes a real issue.

Workmanship seems good. Fabric seems very durable. Zippers are solid, especially the critical main ones to close it up.

The door design isn't all that great, since you need to open the screens and come up with some way to roll the outer fabric before clasping it to the top loops. Thinking that means letting all sorts of mosquitos in if I need to open or close the fabric doors when the tent is occupied. I'm sure you can get efficient at this, but it's likely going to wake up anyone else in the tent when adjusting.

----

Update, so I found a video on youtube that they created (not linked on their website, which seems odd). Apparently you're supposed to put the aluminum tracks on the bottom of the tent directly on the crossbars of the Overhaul. Doubtful this will hold up in the long run, but will do initial install as they suggest and keep a keen eye on the tracks as they (likely) deform. Probably need to install it to determine how to mitigate. Will still see what they respond with, since I stated my concerns pretty clearly.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    svendough and Hawk373 like this.
  14. Oct 14, 2021 at 4:55 PM
    svendough

svendough Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Boulder County, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement DCSB OR
    Thanks for the review. I'm gonna hold off because of reviews like this. At 6'2" I would be miserable, guess I'll keep using my ground tent for the foreseeable future.

ETAV8R and boston23 like this.
  15. Oct 15, 2021 at 6:53 AM
    Puckbag34

Puckbag34 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Totally agree with that decision, at your height. In my case, I can sleep diagonally and be very comfortable. Wife says I snore so bad that when we camp together I'll probably be on the ground in a pup tent anyway. Having had a little more time with it, I'd recommend it to all the "little people". You hardly notice it when driving around, except in strong cross winds.

I created my own "top plate" for the provided hardware using 1 inch by 1/4 inch thick aluminum bar stock with holes drilled where the bolts pass through to the t track. Having that in contact with the top of the rack should prevent any serious deformation of the channels, and also provide a better contact surface to keep the tent secure. As planned, I was able to use my Harken hoist to keep the upper parts of my Yakima rack "permanently" mounted to the GFC tent, with the whole setup "at the ready". This allows me to carefully back the truck into the garage, lower the tent onto the Yakima mounts on the bedside of the truck, and drive off within a matter of 10 minutes or so. That includes all the time moving cars around, working with the hoist, removing my secondary safety straps, and securing the Yakima rack to the truck. All that said, I emailed GFC a couple days ago and got no response yet.

Now my mind is trying to grapple with some means to better secure the tent to the rack. It's just eight bolts that are fairly easy to see/remove currently. Maybe some larger aluminum channel stock could cover the bolts up and be locked to it somehow... That said, the tiny locks on the Yakima rack don't exactly feel like they came out of Ft Knox. Theft in the sticks is probably less of an issue than I'm worried about. Anyhow, if I come up with something, will post it.

16. Oct 15, 2021 at 8:03 AM
    Hawk373

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DCLB
    Lord Helmet and sdshack like this.
  17. Oct 25, 2021 at 7:38 AM
    newhampshiretaco

newhampshiretaco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Concord, NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma SR5 DCSB - 4x4 V6
    RSI EvoA SmartCap Method 701 16x8 Falken Wildpeak 265/70r16 Rago Bed Stiffeners Pro Grille
    For anyone who owns one of these - can you measure the exact thickness of both the top and bottom rigid panels? I'll be placing my order through Carbon-Core this week to start my build.

18. Nov 3, 2021 at 8:20 PM
    boston23

boston23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    My quick, lazy review after 4 nights in the tent

Pros
    The tent is well-made. It got pretty cold out and I was warm. The yellow walls are thick and it is a true Four Season tent.
    The mattress is pretty damn comfy.
    Set up and breakdown are easy.

I just wanted to add that i did get really good sleep on their mattress

Cons
    Im only 5’ 8” and holy shit this tent is short. The wedge end is so narrow that my feet dont have space when im on my back. If i slept on my back it would be more of an issue-but still- I’m amazed a company with so much experience making campers made a tent like this.

if you’re any taller than me I would suggest a different tent, no bullshit the foot room is trash. I juuussst fit.

005C5BCC-22DF-40AE-B02A-1194B4456980.jpg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    Camerasandcoffee and Hawk373 like this.
  19. Dec 7, 2021 at 12:20 PM
    galito

galito Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Edgardo
    Vehicle:
    Army Green TRD Pro 2020
    Hey there, do you mind posting close up pictures of how you mounted the ladder to the superlite. Thank you!

20. Dec 7, 2021 at 12:55 PM
    boston23

boston23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    I just tied it to one of my Thule load bars with a square knot so it wouldnt fall down in the night haha, i still need to set up GFC’s ladder mounting system. It looked like a buckle and straps… I left the mounting stuff in a tool box at work but i’ll try to remember to post a pic of it tomorrow when im back there

To Top