1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Given up on 09/10 Overhead Console - Is a Temp/Comp Mirror a Quick Install?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tunngavik, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Oct 26, 2009 at 8:58 AM
    Tunngavik

Tunngavik [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Access Cab 6 speed manual
    KC-HiLites Fog Lamps, Kicker speaker and tweeter upgrade, USB in center console, Power tailgate lock, Soundproofing, 32" lightbar
    I've got a 2010 Tacoma SR5 4x4 with 2.7l and have pretty much given up on getting a used overhead console and installing it. I checked the front and overhead console and it does have everything prewired.

My question, if I get a Gentex temp/compass mirror can I use the wires already installed in the truck without having to install an extra set? I used to own an Xterra and it was a bit of a pain to wire the harness through the firewall and pillars.

Will the already installed wires/connectors mesh with an aftermarket mirror? Has anyone tried this?

2. Oct 26, 2009 at 9:09 AM
    fritzthecat

fritzthecat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Auto AccCab Indigo
    I installed a Gentex mirror with Temp and Compass in my 07. Mine had the overhead console with temp/comp already from the factory but I needed the space and removed the electronic module.
    The new mirror has the compass built in. You need power, ground and the temp sensor wires from the overhead. The sensor wires are useable, the power and ground I clipped onto the console wire harness.
    The toyota temp sensor will not work with the gentex mirror so when you buy it make sure you get a sensor with it. You will have to rem the toy sensor and splice in the gentex sensor up front by the radiator.

Fritz

Products Discussed in

To Top