1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

GMRS Radio Antennas - Ground Plane?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by nartmot, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Jul 21, 2020 at 5:34 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    There is a very gray area with amps connected GMRS HT's basically they are not type 95 excepted. The question does the FFC really care? No matter what you do with the UHF frequencies neatness really counts every connection every antenna instal, antenna tuning "good enough" doesn't cut it. Don't forget to send in the form to the FCC.

JJ04TACO likes this.
  2. Jul 21, 2020 at 8:21 AM
    JJ04TACO

JJ04TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    Fox 2.5 RR front, 2.0 RR rear from AccuTune Offroad, OME Dakar Leafs, Camburg Uniball UCA's, CBI Offroad Bolt on Sliders w/kickout, Scangauge II Uniden Bearcat 880 w/ 3' Firestick on CBI antenna mount B&M Trans Cooler
    I hear ya. I’ll try to tune that antenna best I can. I’d like to follow the rules whenever possible of course, the gray areas need to be sorted out by the FCC. I’ve seen tons of debates on the different “Parts” of the rules, it’s overwhelming to a noob.

That said, I feel comfortable adhering to the major black and white stuff. Wattage, certified equipment, licensing, etiquette. I’ll be using GMRS channels and not FRS on the amp for example. No issues with that.

Thank you for the input. Always wanting to learn. Now I need an swr meter to help tune...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  3. Jul 22, 2020 at 5:27 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Look on line for a cut chart and cut to center band length. SWR meter will work but if you have a friend with an antenna analyzer it makes things much easier. That is not a band I use but if you have seen a vertical whip you have seen them all. The simplest antenna is a 1/4 wave anything beyond that requires a matching coil at the base generally 1/2 or 5/8 wave they have a slight gain factor over the 1/4. Because of the GMRS frequency none of them are particularly long.

JJ04TACO likes this.
  4. Jul 23, 2020 at 7:43 AM
    JJ04TACO

JJ04TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    04 White DC/TRD
    Fox 2.5 RR front, 2.0 RR rear from AccuTune Offroad, OME Dakar Leafs, Camburg Uniball UCA's, CBI Offroad Bolt on Sliders w/kickout, Scangauge II Uniden Bearcat 880 w/ 3' Firestick on CBI antenna mount B&M Trans Cooler
    Well we won't have to worry about the AMP. It's too much crap in the truck with all the wiring and adapters. It's too sloppy in the cab for a 1st gen. I'll likely just use the external antenna with a SMA to SO239 adapter for the handheld. One wire.

If I feel that I can use the extra power I'll just buy a mobile unit. This way I'm only in for a good antenna, cable, and a few adapters.

Products Discussed in

To Top