1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Goin for Bow Hunting

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by winL, May 7, 2012.

1. May 7, 2012 at 1:14 AM
    winL

winL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Leer 100R Cap, OEM Hood Protector, Bilstein 5100's @0, Wheeler's 3leaf AAL no TSB, Replaced oem OL, OME 885, Pioneer AVIC-D2
    I've read some stuff about bow hunting and it sounds like an amazing sport. I've never even hunted. Going to read up on it first and of course practice with the bow for quite a while before I even step out into the woods. Anyone have tips on what to concentrate on? I know there's lots to learn, but what basic gear that's a must have before I dump money into useless items. Even the animals, what behaviors should I know? Hunting from trees, keeping my scent from being sniffed out. I know its a lot. But I gotta start somewhere

Thanks everyone.

2. May 7, 2012 at 6:42 AM
    GP100

GP100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    RI
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD Offroad
    I'd recommend checking out some archery specific forums like archerytalk.com. Read all you can, search on specific things you have questions on, and ask questions when you don't find the answers you're looking for. To start, I'd avoid big box stores and go to a pro shop where there are knowledgeable people that can measure your draw length and set up your bow properly for you. Shoot as many bows in your price range that you can because only you can tell what feels best for you. Don't over-bow yourself, just because you can pull a heavy bow back doesn't mean you should get the heaviest bow you can draw. A 60# bow can kill anything that walks on this continent. Beware the fan boys or shop owners that need to push a certain item. Get what feels comfortable to YOU. There are lots of accessory choices you will need to make, ask questions! Good luck to you, it is a great sport to get into.

3. May 7, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    Hulley

Hulley Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hoschton, Ga.
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner 4WD
    I'm in your shoes right now. I've been a gun guy for a long time and I had a long bow as a kid that I used to hunt rabbits with. I've decided that I want to bow hunt now. Luckily for me I have a good friend that been bow hunting for over 30yrs and is there to offer some guidence.

I went to a Pro-Shop that he recommended and shot several bows. I went with a PSE Brute X in 70# but I have it adjusted down to 56# at the moment to work on my form. In hind sight I wished I went with the 60# but that doesnt matter in my case because the Brute X will go down to 50# safely.

Also I have a couple of friends that have acres and acres of land with plenty of hogs so I can at least get some practice in before deer season.

I've been praticing in my backyard quite abit and I have my 20yd groups pretty tight and my 30yrd groups are getting better. I'm not worried about 40-50yrds right now until I get my 20-30yrds consistant, however I do have my bow sighted at 20, 30 and 40yrds.

You are gonna find out real quick the muscles you are not used to using! I was pretty sore in the begining but getting better now. I'm 39 so now as strong as I was when I was 20!

I'm having more fun now then when I go shooting. Its definitly more challenging and even if I didnt plan on hunting I'd still want a bow for the fun of it.

4. May 7, 2012 at 8:08 AM
    AG87BlkLX

AG87BlkLX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Greenbrier, TN
    If you can find a buddy to go with who is knowledgeable about hunting he/she will be able to help you out tremendously. There's a lot to learn & it's easier & more fun with friends. Ask questions & pay attention.

Try to stay as scent fee as possible. Wash your clothes in scent fee detergent & keep them in a scent free place until it's time to hunt. Try to avoid getting gas for your vehicle on days you hunt if at all possible. If you stop at a store before your hunt wear different shoes. You don't want gas, oil & other smells tracked at those places on your hunting boots.

Remember, animals spend all their time in the woods. The more time you spend in the woods the better you will understand them.

Don't base a successful hunt on whether or not you killed anything. I haven't killed a turkey this year but it's been my most successful turkey season to date, my 10 year old has killed two. Hunting is about the memories you create for a lifetime. This is an awesome sport & I wish you some awesome memories.

5. May 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    Thanks for the heads up,Brock.

Im subbing this for later.........im at work and only have my phone with me.

6. May 7, 2012 at 9:33 AM
    TheGrinch

TheGrinch Cheese Head.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    RP, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD DCSB OffRoad on 33's
    6" procomp lift
    Same, so much to say but on the phone at work will take forever. Subd and I'll chime in later. Been hunting since I was strong enough to carry a rifle and been bow hunting since 15yrs old.

7. May 7, 2012 at 10:11 AM
    winL

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Leer 100R Cap, OEM Hood Protector, Bilstein 5100's @0, Wheeler's 3leaf AAL no TSB, Replaced oem OL, OME 885, Pioneer AVIC-D2
    So far, I've picked up:

Head to the pro-shops and ask questions and keep trying them out until I'm comfortable with one I like before a purchase.
    And regarding scents, even if I step into any place with foot traffic I would need different shoes, THAT's how good their noses are. <- This last point is very surprising. I mean, even filling up gas within 24hrs?!

8. May 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM
    Hulley

Hulley Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hoschton, Ga.
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner 4WD

9. May 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM
    Maverick904

Maverick904 Resident Fishing Expert

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    3" Procomp Lift, BDF Light Bar, Borla Stainless Cat-Back System, 2 10" Polk MM Subs, LED Interior Lighting, Pioneer Touch Screen, Kicker Speakers up front, Sonys in the back, Grillcraft grill, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Projector Retrofit Headlights. BHLM
    When you do get your bow..practice practice practice. Once its sighted in...get a pin set for 20 yards. and shoot only 20 yards. spend as much time as you can shooting 20 yards for one reason. muscle memory. everytime you shoot a bow you should have the same anchor point. find your anchor point and USE IT..EVERY TIME. consistency in shooting mechanics in the #1 key in successfully shooting a bow. once you can get your arrows inside of a silver dollar at 20 yards. set some other pins for different distances.

the only difference in shooting 20 and 30 yards is the pin you use. if you are sighted properly, use the proper mechanics, and the bow is tuned properly. you can shoot at any distance and get the same results.

10. May 7, 2012 at 11:20 AM
    AG87BlkLX

AG87BlkLX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Greenbrier, TN
    If you have the money get a decent Rangefinder with ARC, angle range compensation. Takes the guess work out of how far the animal is. This will come in handy for a hunter. This is one item I make sure I leave the house with.

11. May 7, 2012 at 12:07 PM
    Hulley

Hulley Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hoschton, Ga.
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner 4WD
    Practice is so very true.

What I'm struggling with is trigger control. I'll get a good group going but I always have a flyer and I know it as soon as I pull the trigger.

Any ideas on this?

12. May 7, 2012 at 1:55 PM
    Maverick904

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    3" Procomp Lift, BDF Light Bar, Borla Stainless Cat-Back System, 2 10" Polk MM Subs, LED Interior Lighting, Pioneer Touch Screen, Kicker Speakers up front, Sonys in the back, Grillcraft grill, 20% tint, Weathertechs, Projector Retrofit Headlights. BHLM
    treat it like a rifle.

draw your bow back with your finger behind the trigger. when your ready to shoot do a slow pull. pull it so gently that the trigger basically falls after the arrow has been released and try to keep your hand at your anchor point.

naturally your hand will move after releasing the arrow, dont think it wont.

13. May 8, 2012 at 8:36 AM
    Hulley

Hulley Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hoschton, Ga.
    Vehicle:
    2007 4runner 4WD
    I've been trying to do that. So far I find it best to put some pressure on the trigger and smoothly pull back. Whats strange to me is that my rifles and some pistols have a much lighter pull than my release so its hard to train myself to do that. I guess thats why they call it practice.

14. May 8, 2012 at 7:56 PM
    Maverick904

Member:
    First Name:
    Kameron
    Northeast Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail 4x4
    yeah bow releases are a total different ball game due to the pressure they are under.

15. May 9, 2012 at 6:23 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    And some of them are adjustable as well. Not too fond of a hair trigger on a bow release. I usually keep mine stock.......but have only shot 2 releasez the whole time ive bow hunted.....a fletcher. 44 caliper....andthe scott little goose......which is awesome and has adjustability as far as length goes.

To the op......like most have said....shoot as many as you can and get a feel for it. You will want the bow set to your specific length........everyone is different. Practice practice practice....and when you think you are shooting good......practice some more. Practicing yaedage til you get it down works real good.....and ive found that shooting longwr distances and getting good at them helps you out alot with shorter yardage shots.

16. May 10, 2012 at 10:35 AM
    winL

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    Thanks all.

I'll just get to the practicing first and when I get comfortable with that, I'll take the next step.

Products Discussed in

To Top