1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Going from spacer lift to lift springs or 5100 Bilsteins

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by 308savage, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Dec 6, 2018 at 3:51 PM
    308savage

308savage [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    Leveling kit, roll bar
    So my truck was bought new, with a 2.5” Toytec spacer lift with a 2” AAL installed by the dealership. It’s a 2012 TRD Sport, so it’s almost 7 years old. Would the fronts springs need to be replaced if going to 5100’s set to regain 2.5” of lift, or would they be ok? If the springs need to be replaced, I’ll buy lift springs and set the Bilsteins on the appropriate notch. As for the rear, I want it higher than the front. I hate the look of a truck that is level, I feel that they should be a little higher in the rear. Would a 1.5” progressive AAL in the rear achieve this or should I go with new springs in the rear to get the ass end higher than the front? I guess the main question is are my front springs worn out or not due to the spacers. The truck has only seen mild off road use, mostly pavement. I’d like to start over with the lift and do it right.

2. Dec 6, 2018 at 3:57 PM
    CaTaco101

CaTaco101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    You’re probably over 75k miles right now. I’d guess most of your rig is shot.

I’d go new struts and springs up front. New UCA if it still has stock.

Rear, you probably need to go Dakar leafs if you want a reasonable rake while lifting the front. You can replace the struts if they seem shot but I guess you already have 5100 to address the extra travel. AAL + Overload won’t give you much more than you already have since you already have the AAL on stock leafs. Next up is Dakar medium but don’t expect it to ride the same.

If you have the cash, just do it all. You’ll be under $3k installed end of the day and it’ll ride like a dream.

3. Dec 6, 2018 at 4:19 PM
    308savage

308savage [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    Leveling kit, roll bar
    Nope, 37,000 miles!

4. Dec 6, 2018 at 4:27 PM
    CaTaco101

CaTaco101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Ok, you drive less than me. That’s impressive.

Still, most of what I said still holds true. Maybe your seals are wrecked. Maybe they’re not. Depends how often you like taking things apart, etc.

Piece it together or do it all at once. I’m on the do it all at once side of things but your time availability and budget may dictate otherwise.

Products Discussed in

To Top