1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Going through the grommet

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by kitten, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Aug 20, 2009 at 2:32 PM
    kitten

kitten [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    NC
    Vehicle:
    2003 Black 4x4
    This is a question in regard to an earlier post. I am running a coax cable from the bumper into the cab. FL Forester recommended the rubber grommet behind the drivers seat. Perfect location and I have located that. My question is the proper method to go through the grommet? My concern is that the seal may be compromised and I would have water leaking into the cab when running in wet conditions. Considering the carpet covers this entry point I may not notice until a significant amount were to build up. Do I assume that a small hole in the rubber gasket that will stretch when I push the coax through will have sort of a "self-sealing" effect around the cable? Is there some type of sealant like hot-glue or other that you apply to assure all is tight?? Thanks!!

2. Aug 20, 2009 at 2:39 PM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    The gasket is pretty soft. I would cut(drill?) a small hole, slightly smaller than the cable and then slit it just big enough to get the end through. Get it all in place and then apply a good dose of urethane sealer around the cut. It is static so should remain watertight.

3. Aug 23, 2009 at 5:58 AM
    Larzzzz

Larzzzz Grande' Ricardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '06 dclb 350+ kmiles
    Aux back up lights, Bed lights, Re-located trailer plug, Good dooby, a.k.a. jumper cable mod, Heated seats, back up camera,
    Un tape the grommet and push the wire through with the rest and re tape it. Poking a hole will just allow water to get in but no way to get out. I've already done it twice, once for my bed lights and for my aux back up lights.

4. Aug 23, 2009 at 11:32 PM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA

Products Discussed in

To Top